If Fortus got injured, who would they call, Izzy or Gilby?

10 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Gilby executed the songs fairly well and was consistent, but he didn't exactly set the songs on fire on fire at the same time, or put his own sound on them, like Richard for example, just listen to how he plays used to love her or You're crazy, the changes are subtle but they add a great groove and new dimension to the songs.

I actually don't care most of Richard's subtle changes.. You mention "Used To Love Her" and that is one of the songs that I find he detracts from.. Sometimes less is more, especially in a band like Gn'R.. The Rhythm in UTLH her is simple, classic and perfect.. He just makes it sound like he is trying to hard and showing off. It detracts from the vibe of the song for me.. Kind of like when he injects his whammy bar into Don't cry... Just annoying..... Throw in Franks changes and it just dilutes classic songs that were already damn near perfect. Throw Rocket Queen in there too. Just using those three songs as an example, the Live versions from the classic lineups are far superior in my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I actually don't care most of Richard's subtle changes.. You mention "Used To Love Her" and that is one of the songs that I find he detracts from.. Sometimes less is more, especially in a band like Gn'R.. The Rhythm in UTLH her is simple, classic and perfect.. He just makes it sound like he is trying to hard and showing off. It detracts from the vibe of the song for me.. Kind of like when he injects his whammy bar into Don't cry... Just annoying..... Throw in Franks changes and it just dilutes classic songs that were already damn near perfect. Throw Rocket Queen in there too. Just using those three songs as an example, the Live versions from the classic lineups are far superior in my opinion. 

Key words "In your opinion". In my opinion he adds something different and good to already good / great songs. The whammy bar thing is subtle, I don't think it distracts from the song at all... I'd say that you're problem is you like it how it was and you don't want to hear anyone messing with that, I feel that If this was how it was recorded in '91, it might be a different story. End of the day, it's live... I despise how Slash plays the Chinese era solos, but it's live and he is the guitar player so he gets to make those calls... however I still don't have to like it, just like you don't have to like Richards additions.

I fully disagree that what he does is "showing off" though. I think people get hung up on touring musicians being 'pro, cold, technicians, unmusical' when in fact they are just like every other musician, but they never managed to make it with a band of their own. And what exactly constitutes as showing off anyway? What he does in heavens door? If he was adding slap guitar or something completely unsuitable I'd be the first to say that it doesn't suit the style of the song, to this day I haven't had much reason to raise an eyebrow due to Richards playing.

• 1 month later...

if i had to choose one, i'd say izzy would be called first, as he was originally called first but didn't do it in the end because 'they wouldn't split the loot equally'. if they were to call him and offer him more, he'd probably do it. in reality though, i don't think they'd call either of them because i don't think izzy and slash could play the democracy stuff, not because they haven't got the ability, because it doesn't fit their style (they're both mostly blues/blues rock guitarists) so i think those songs need richard.

in an ideal world though, izzy would play the appetite, illusion and spaghetti stuff and richard would play the democracy stuff ... and steven obviously. 

Possibly Navarro, but the aesthetic and demographic aspects of deciding to hire Melissa leads me to wonder if it would be a younger person from a newer, hipper band?  Maybe from one of the younger opening bands from the tour?

Edit: haha, just noticed I was supposed to choose between Izzy and Gilby.  Gilby.  He's low maintenance and also awesome.  

Edited by soon

On 10/18/2017 at 4:51 PM, shotsfired cro said:

seriously...This is the most ridiculous topic I have ever seen.

What is this a rock band or Wimbledon!?

One would think we are discussing ice skating, athletics, basketball...this is fucking ridiculous.

Get used to it.  Due to the inevitable GNR radio silence, this is what the next 6 months on this forum is going to look like. :lol:

• Haha 2

Los Angeles, biggest venue, sold out, Richard breaks his arm few hours before the show. Band is in a hurry, they rearrange the setlist and call whoever is familiar with the material. Izzy, Gilby, Bumble, Sidoris, Schneck... plenty to choose from for that one stand-in. Same with Frank, the second he breaks his arm, Slash would call Brent.

Edited by Ralphelmo

3 hours ago, soon said:

Possibly Navarro, but the aesthetic and demographic aspects of deciding to hire Melissa leads me to wonder if it would be a younger person from a newer, hipper band?  Maybe from one of the younger opening bands from the tour?

Edit: haha, just noticed I was supposed to choose between Izzy and Gilby.  Gilby.  He's low maintenance and also awesome.  

Yes, Gilby not will ask "loot" 😑

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 9:10 AM, Sunset Boulevard said:

None of them.

Neither Gilby nor Izzy have the ability to play like Fortus. They don't have his talent and his skills. Fortus is too good for both of them. It's just not the same level at all...

Fortus is a master. Even Slash is blown away...

Fortus is the Ronnie Wood of Guns N' Roses. He will be in GN'R until the end. PERIOD.

The Stones have been crap with Ronnie Wood compared to the band they were with Mick Taylor or the Brian Jones Era. I liked Woody in the faces but no thank you with the Stones. 

Richard seems a good guy and is a great guitarist but bands have a sound made up of all the instruments at once,  and the band sounded best with Izzy. Slash said it best "his playing was so here and there and laid back"  It's not all about "talent and skill" it's more about feel and attitude. There's a difference between guitar players and musicians.

• Like 1

I think the politics that keeps Izzy from being in the band at present would continue even if Richard was hurt.

Gilby is possible, but given he turned down a guest shot he might not be asked. Also it would make Matt's absence stand out all the more.

Options I could see are:

1. Frank Sidoris who handed live Rhythm guitar duties for Slash from about 2012

2. DJ Ashba. Axl already wanted him to be part of the reunion but he declined out of respect. It would be a different prospect to be brought in as Rhythm rather than lead. Meanwhile Nikki has retired from touring so Ashba needs a new gig.

3. Orianthi - rumour had it that she nearly replaced bumble before the reunion.