So.. my Kitten/Cat appears to have fleas..

star

We gave him a lukewarm bath with added lemon juice (from a squeezed lemon). Need to do once per week for one month. If that fails, it time for the hard stuff, anti-flea drugs. While Tigger wasn't so happy with water, he was happy enough afterwards, wrapped in a towel, on the cough, watching TV :)

• Like 4

Gorgeous cat you have there. You were very brave giving Tigger a bath! Ours recently had fleas, and feline acne at the same time. The only thing that works is Advocate, plus the Beaphar home spray. Grateful that we don't have any carpets down stairs, which limited the problem somewhat. 

4 hours ago, star said:

We gave him a lukewarm bath with added lemon juice (from a squeezed lemon). Need to do once per week for one month. If that fails, it time for the hard stuff, anti-flea drugs. While Tigger wasn't so happy with water, he was happy enough afterwards, wrapped in a towel, on the cough, watching TV :)

Cats really don't like lemon and it won't do a thing for fleas unfortunately. First , you have to be sure she is healthy and doesn't suffer from anything like hyperthyroidism. If you can take her to a vet for a full check up, which they should get regularly anyways, that would be good and give you a baseline. I'm sure you know about the products Revolution and Front Line. The vet will have them available . They will show you how to apply it. Once a month for 2 months and fleas gone forever provided she is not exposed to other animals. 

She is very cute 

I knew a dreadlocked student activist who had fleas.  She was very much about sexual liberty and freely propositioned anyone and everyone, in front of spouses and all.  When declined she would go on about polyamory and how we are all trapped in bad ideology, blah, blah, blah.  But it was like... nah, mostly its because you have fleas. 

• Haha 1

Nice kitten!

Just my opinion, but I would think that just going with standard flea treatment (although not completely natural), would be better for the kitten vs the stress the kitten goes through by getting a bath, with lemon.  Stress can be more harmful to the animal than anything from medicated flea treatment.  Just my 2 cents.  I'm not a Vet so I could be wrong. :)

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

This sucks. Been there and done that.

My cats had fleas and I had to get the flea stuff and give them a pill to kill unhatched eggs and get rid of any fleas they had on their bodies.

I had it so bad once, I had to have a flea guy come and do my whole house. He used some organic stuff, but it got rid of the fleas all at once and didn't harm my animals. You will have to take your cats out of the house while he's treating it, but it's safe to go back after a few hours.

If you don't take care of the problem fast your cats will suffer from the flea bites and they produce so fast your house or apartment will be infested quickly. then you will see flea bites on you and whoever lives with you.

Fleas can produce on rugs, furniture and even wood floors. those little bastards are nothing but trouble.

Good luck.

19 minutes ago, Axls Rocket Queen said:

Just go to a vet and get some proper flea treatment, please.  As has been said above, Advocate is very effective.  You also need to treat the house and any other pets regularly or they'll just get re-infested.  Indorex spray is good for the house

i've just ordered Frontline Plus is Advocate better?

I wanted to add again , to take her to the vet and buy products from the vet . Front Line/Rev/Advocate.

Do not buy it online or any of the ones that claim to be similiar. People have killed their cats using these products , variations of them or not having had properly cared for the cat , didn't know she had underlying disease that couldn't withstand the flea treatment . I didn't want you to get something online and kill your cat then feel we all encouraged you along this line . A vet is who your cat needs and she will be fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

i've just ordered Frontline Plus is Advocate better?

Frontline Plus should be about as good as Advocate, I just have personally had more experience with Advocate.  Regular Frontline, or most of the stuff you can get without seeing a vet, isn't generally very good as they often just kill the adult fleas and not the eggs/larvae.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have heard a lot of horror stories . Amazon is infamous for peddling fake products . A lot of the pet discount sites are the same , damaged or expired or flat out counterfeit. 

In addition, the cats weight , medical condition and how to apply are important. Here is an article 

http://www.wral.com/5onyourside/story/10409288/

Jan and I posted simultaneously so it wasn't commentary directed that way at all, I started worrying the OP's cat.