a bit of confusion about 1998-2000 version of CD

people seem to think that the 1998-2000 (Sean Beavan) version of CD was much more industrial and much more electronica sounding...Where do we have evidence of this? in Axl's interview with RS in 2000 they mention TWAT, The Blues, Chinese D, and Catcher in the Rye and none of those are really industrial or electronica...

But who said industrial album? Maybe fans/forum users, but I can't recall any of the camp (or the press) saying that, except maybe some pure speculation.

That said, Sean Beavan's production would have probably given a raw, grittier feel to all of the songs, so it's an educate guess that industral hints would have been there, as that's the kind of music he was known for (even Chinese Democracy, the song, sounded vaguely industrial before getting polished and bumblefooted)

• Like 3

we must not forget the february-march 99 version (6 or 8 demos from the infamous sergio george sessions) that was much more salsa sounding - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_George

apparently some studio assistant leaked the demos to a cuban radio station in downtown havana of all places. it is a shame that there was no interweb in cuba back then!

:rofl-lol:

Edited by ludurigan
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fashionista said:

people seem to think that the 1998-2000 (Sean Beavan) version of CD was much more industrial and much more electronica sounding...Where do we have evidence of this? in Axl's interview with RS in 2000 they mention TWAT, The Blues, Chinese D, and Catcher in the Rye and none of those are really industrial or electronica...

CD the song is totally industrial sounding. Also Axl said in some interview the first album (meaning CD) was going to be half industrial and half classic gnr sounding to ease fans into the new direction. It wasn't going to be under the follow up until Axl went full on industrial, but that never happened.

Edited by gnfnr2k

I️ don’t think Axl went into the creation of CD with a clear head. From the interviews and rumors I‎t seems some days he was hands on going into this at 100mph. But then there were days and I mean 90% of the time where he was just off doing anything but thinking about the next album. 

He created the base for this album in 97-98 but as I‎t took longer to finalize I‎t seems Axl would return with a new vision but instead of adjusting the material he simply wrote over the top of I‎t and the result for CD was an album that never had an identity, I‎t was overcrowded with multiple ideas and I‎t took a very non organic approach to its creation.

in the end the jumbled mess that came out captured Axl’s life during its creation in a nutshell 

• Like 3

It was mostly producers/engineers/A&R people/press who tossed that around. You can't blame them, because the first real taste was "Oh My God" and that song certainly threw the gauntlet down in a different direction.

Rolling Stone described the songs as "Physical Graffiti remixed by Trent Reznor and Beck."

Doug Goldstein called it "updated nineties rock with a little more technology thrown in."

There was somebody who name checked Rob Zombie as an influence.

You can see how that impression was built up by the fans/media who took the "modern" influence to mean industrial.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fashionista said:

I actually wish we had gotten an aggressive, fully industrial metal album. Just a whole album full of songs like Chinese D, Riad, OMG, and Shacklers. Catchy crunchy riffs, Axl screams, aggressive lyrics. 

axl should have released one of his "introspective" and "emotional" and "though-provoking" (:rofl-lol:) piano songs like prostitute or catcher in the rye in 1999 instead of oh my god

i suppose the backlash would be so huge and enormous that maybe, just maybe, he could scrap that nonsense and go for a more "aggressive, fully industrial metal" songs like you mention

small chance i suppose, but who knows

No, he was never officially a producer for CD.  Ultimately, he turned the opportunity down.  

Out of all the producers who came and went, I think Moby understood Axl best.  He had some nice things to say about him, praised his talent, but also knew how difficult the process was going to be.  Unlike some of the other producers who did agree to climbing on board, Moby was a realist and he wasn't in it for the long haul.  As well, he didn't connect with Axl's here and there, as and when method, nor his jigsaw-pieces approach for building songs via sketches and sounds and whatnot.  

I find it interesting that Moby was curious about the lack of vocals (in my opinion, this - early 97 - was at a time when Axl had a creative block and couldn't think of anything to sing) and when he'd ask about it, Axl would become defensive and say that he'd get the vocals done one day (I think it wouldn't be until somewhere around 99/2000 before anyone would actually hear Axl sing anything).

For the purposes of the thread title, this quote from Moby is enlightening in that 'stripped down' is certainly not a phrase I'd associate with CD.  Would love to hear what Moby heard!

"'I don't think this new music is just a vehicle for him as a solo performer. He wants this to be a band where everyone contributes,' says Moby. 'On the music I've heard, you can hear everyone's distinctive voice coming through. [...] The music they're working on has a very dramatic quality to it. They're using some modern technology. Axl's really excited about sampling. He loves the DJ Shadow record and Nine Inch Nails. The stuff I've heard is much more concise than, say, 'November Rain.' Not bombastic. Very stripped down. Very intense. It's not hard-rock music in the way that 'Welcome to the Jungle' was.'" (Icon Magazine, 10/97)

It was Moby who said something along the lines of Axl is searching for how to be happy?  Something like that.  

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's interesting that Chinese Democracy initially sounded "stripped down" compared to songs like November Rain. That's the total opposite of what the public eye expected from Axl through all these years.

33 minutes ago, Sosso said:

It's interesting that Chinese Democracy initially sounded "stripped down" compared to songs like November Rain. That's the total opposite of what the public eye expected from Axl through all these years.

Yeah, you look at some of Moby's word choices: dramatic, modern technology, sampling, intense - and I'll take the NIN reference as 'industrial vibe' - and actually that describes much of CD (industrial for Shacklers, Better anyway).  The only anomalies are 'not bombastic' and 'stripped down'.   So somewhere along the very long line, CD got bombastic and er...the opposite of stripped down. lol

Have to remember too, that some of the producers who got on board were creative types every bit as finicky as Axl.  RTB was known for spending 8 hours on a few bars of music.  Put him with Axl, who also liked to spend 8 hours on a few bars of music and that's not going to make for a quick album.  Even Bob Ezrin, who did his damage, apparently recorded The Wall 3 times over, so it was unlikely that he'd hear Axl's 'ready to mix' version and go, 'Yeah, that's ready!'  Far more likely, he'd go, 'Well, no, it needs this and that and the other.'  

CD took so long to make and went through so many changes because of too many chefs in the kitchen imo.  They should have just left Axl to get on with it (which he did; by 2000 he'd upheld his end of the deal) and Geffen/Interscope should have mixed the album when Axl said it was ready.  

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

According to Fortus, he heard that Axl recorded all his vocals in a week.  Better, Sorry and Shacklers must be later though?  But the vocals are apparently the same on all the iterations. 

I remembered him saying it but couldnt find the video.  I did find a link to it with quote but link wont work for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQm7tanGAtk#t=8m31s

"To be honest, [when I joined the band,] it wasn't in the middle [of CD]. Honestly, I think it was more near the end. Overall, the songs were mostly written. The odd thing I wrote was, like, the chorus of Better. But that was all... it was pretty much done. I played on the whole thing, but I replaced other people's parts. I was playing, and they took somebody's elses part out and I put something in. But the songs... near 90% of it was done, as far as the songs having been written. I did all my stuff in less than a week on that entire album. Think I played on almost every song. 

I've also heard that Axl sang that whole record in less than a week. Like, 90% of it was done in, literally, days. There was just so much stuff going on around the recording, that it took time, moreso than the actual recording. But, that being said, they had studios blocked out for long periods of time. It went through different producers. The record company said, 'No, we want to use this guy', and Axl said, 'OK, I'll try it'... They'd try it, would it work, they'd go in with somebody else. So, I think that's how I figure it amassed.

At that time, music still had value. People were still putting out records and touring to support the records. People don't do that anymore. People put out records to support a tour."

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Why did Moby leave production?

Was he ever enlisted as an official producing counselor? 

Seems like Moby left the face of the Earth completely, after Eminem dissed/destroyed him around 2002 in the "Without Me"  single/video

"Moby, you can get stomped by Obie....You 36 year old/bald headed fag, blow me.....You don't know me, you're too old-let go it's over, Nobody listens to techno!" 

Still interested to hear what other completed tracks remain. Meaning there can't just be fourteen tracks from those sessions & the sessions in the 2000's. Still intrigued to hear..be so cool if we heard something new to tide fans over until the NITL continues next summer.

2 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

Still interested to hear what other completed tracks remain. Meaning there can't just be fourteen tracks from those sessions & the sessions in the 2000's. Still intrigued to hear..be so cool if we heard something new to tide fans over until the NITL continues next summer.

Oh, there's plenty of completed tracks.  They'd recorded about 40 songs all up.  I'm not that interested in hearing unfinished or unreleased CD material, but I am interested in hearing the scrapped 96 sessions with Slash.  I secretly wonder if any samples from those 96 sessions made it on to CD in some way...:ph34r:  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Oh, there's plenty of completed tracks.  They'd recorded about 40 songs all up.  I'm not that interested in hearing unfinished or unreleased CD material, but I am interested in hearing the scrapped 96 sessions with Slash.  I secretly wonder if any samples from those 96 sessions made it on to CD in some way...:ph34r:  

Hope the current lineup could schedule some fine tooth combing through the CD material & those Slash sessions some things could be salvageable, as long as Slash's licks make the grade ;) . Thought Buckets parts on CD were awesome.