Appetite for Destruction Was In the Top 40 Top Selling Vinyl in the UK (2017)

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I saw them in someone else's houses but they were from decades ago. I think they were called wincofon here :shrugs:

I had a radio cassette player until I asked for a CD player for my birthday. That's what most kids my age were getting anyway. No one had a wincofon or if they did it was their parents or grandparents.

Also, the Walkman was popular :lol: and I had one too. 

We called them -still do- pickups/pick-ups. Many people, not only older people, but also teenagers/young people in the 80s had sound systems consisting of a turntable, an amplifier, speakers and often also a cassette player. When cd's came those who could afford it added a cd-player to the system, but also kept the turntable. People who didn't have a system like that either got one with cd-player only or a portable cd-player..

I had a Walkman too. Didn't get a disc-man though :)

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I do. I had bought it in the early 90s as part of an audio system of separate pieces. I still have it.

I guess you can find it everywhere they sell sound systems now.

I was looking at turntables just the other day in HMV.  They sell a whole range of them now that cater to different budgets and they look really cool too, lots of different colours and makes etc.  Was seriously considering getting one in the post Xmas sales.

You can get them on Amazon even, like this cheapie. https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Belt-Drive-Turntable-Headphone-Turquoise/dp/B00XVJLYPW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515150979&sr=8-5&keywords=turntables+for+vinyl+records  

I'm still dithering over it whether to invest in one though...I remember how easily records scratched and I do really like making playlists. :lol:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We called them -still do- pickups/pick-ups. Many people, not only older people, but also teenagers/young people in the 80s had sound systems consisting of a turntable, an amplifier, speakers and often also a cassette player. When cd's came those who could afford it added a cd-player to the system, but also kept the turntable. People who didn't have a system like that either got one with cd-player only or a portable cd-player..

I had a Walkman too. Didn't get a disc-man though :)

Oh I never saw this among my friends and acquaintances but I wasn't teenager in the 80s so maybe I just missed it :shrugs:

There was a kinda small radio and cassette player in my house and that was it. Then I got the Walkman when I was like 9 or 10 and the CD player sound system came much later. I also got a portable CD player (disc-man) around 1996 :unsure:

Edited by killuridols

All the kids here used to have something like this, without cd-player:

357273.jpg

Pick-up, double cassette deck and radio. Ah, the memories.

Then when cd-players became affordable, the whole thing would become twice as small, the pick-up substituted by a cd-player. LP's have a much better sound than cassettes, but they scratch easily and then you'd have to skip that part, unless you wanted to hear it forever repeated :lol: Also, the needle was very vulnerable.

I have been tempted to get a pick-up again, but my sister stole my LP's and first I have to see if I can get them back. No AFD on vinyl though. I bought that on cd. I've actually forgotten which LP's I had, I only remember Like A Virgin. I was quite a Madonna fan in the day. Plus I didn't have that many. I was only a poor kid and getting an LP was quite an event! :lol: I got more singles.

They should reissue it, not a remaster or anything like it, just a reissue.

Most of the copies onstore right now are like the 30th gen of the records, they sound terrible... I believe they are even just transfers from the CD version, which makes it sound bad.

My copies of UIY and Lies (I dont have AFD) sound so grainy, theres a friend o mine who has UIYI and it sound so much better than mine.

2 hours ago, default_ said:

They should reissue it, not a remaster or anything like it, just a reissue.

Most of the copies onstore right now are like the 30th gen of the records, they sound terrible... I believe they are even just transfers from the CD version, which makes it sound bad.

My copies of UIY and Lies (I dont have AFD) sound so grainy, theres a friend o mine who has UIYI and it sound so much better than mine.

They should also re-issue LIES and throw "Shadow of Your Love" on there. 

• Like 1

I have everything from AFD through CD on vinyl. All of them sound fantastic outside of the inner groove distortion issues on CD, but it is what it is. I'm glad Live Era sounds as good as it does even though I rarely listen to it. I don't listen to Lies much but it sounds good too. AFD and both UYIs sound amazing along with the first couple songs on each side of CD. I've got the Sympathy 7" too and it's always irritated me that OMG is the only GN'R song I can't own on vinyl. 

• Like 2

On 2018-01-06 at 12:30 AM, RussTCB said:

I have everything from AFD through CD on vinyl. All of them sound fantastic outside of the inner groove distortion issues on CD, but it is what it is. I'm glad Live Era sounds as good as it does even though I rarely listen to it. I don't listen to Lies much but it sounds good too. AFD and both UYIs sound amazing along with the first couple songs on each side of CD. I've got the Sympathy 7" too and it's always irritated me that OMG is the only GN'R song I can't own on vinyl. 

We're in the same boat! I've actually been thinking about pressing a one of 7" of OMG just for the sake of having it, but I can't justify $70 for just one song, not that one at least...

• Like 1

No doubt GNR have shifted a few units as a result of the NITL tour but most of that top 30 are old albums because they started selling LPs in Tesco a while back but only about 20 of the most popular albums of all time AFD included. 

On 6.1.2018 at 12:30 AM, RussTCB said:

I haven't heard Live Era on vinyl but the sound on CD is terrible IMO.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:29 AM, Free Bird said:

I haven't heard Live Era on vinyl but the sound on CD is terrible IMO.

The last 2 tracks on each side sound bad due to inner groove distortion but the first couple tracks on each side sound pretty bad ass.