The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

17 minutes ago, soon said:

You just ignored all six points in my last point :rofl-lol:

And in my replies that you are ignoring, because you find my points inconvenient, speak to why :rofl-lol:

You are on a tear about me allegedly ignoring things, which has no basis in what I said about emoji proxy responses, and you are openly skipping a bunch of post :lol::thumbsup:

No I didn't, since your "points" don't really address the arguments I made earlier.  I said Jesus appears to judge others based on where they live.  This is quoted in scripture when he makes clear that he's only here for Israelites.  The fact that some feminists view this passage as proof that Jesus is a feminist doesn't align with anything I said previously.  It's just your attempt to change the parameters of the conversation.

And as I stated before, it was more than just a "correction."  Your post was a full on defence of Christianity when one wasn't needed.  But again, let's waste your time, my time, and everyone else's with bullshit revisionism.

And last time I checked, Christians are suppose to follow the laws of the old testament (otherwise, why was I made to remember the ten commandments in Sunday school as a small kid?).  They may no longer view Jews as the chosen people as noted in the new Testament, but it doesn't invalidate the fact that there are many instances in the old testament where Jews are claimed to be God's chosen people.  This is just basic, basic stuff.

The reality is that several passages of scripture were raised by me to refute your points.  You chose to ignore them at the time and only do so now (well, only one of them) because you were called out for being a hypocrite.  Again, I see it, Soul sees it, and anyone else following along sees it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

No I didn't, since your "points" don't really address the arguments I made earlier.  I said Jesus appears to judge others based on where they live.  This is quoted in scripture when he makes clear that he's only here for Israelites.  The fact that some feminists view this passage as proof that Jesus is a feminist doesn't align with anything I said previously.  It's just your attempt to change the parameters of the conversation.

He does not appear to judge others based on where they live. You can say thats your understanding and then you can be introduced to the cultural and historical aspects that are required to understand that passage.

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

And as I stated before, it was more than just a "correction."  Your post was a full on defence of Christianity when one wasn't needed.  But again, let's waste your time, my time, and everyone else's with bullshit revisionism.

Nah. I corrected you about the 2 Covenants. Never in a million years would anyone anticipate such an overblown response on your part. It clearly set you off that I chipped in with a fact. It inspired you to write what you call "walls of text" in response.

And last time I checked, Christians are suppose to follow the laws of the old testament.  

Yep thats why no Christians have never eaten shellfish and women bath in Mikvehs every month, lol. I have to remind all of Christianity ASAP. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

The reality is that several passages of scripture were raised by me to refute your points.  You chose to ignore them at the time and only do so now (well, only one of them) because you were called out for being a hypocrite.  Again, I see it, Soul sees it, and anyone else following along sees it.  

You just skipped 6 points. :lol:

13 minutes ago, soon said:

He does not appear to judge others based on where they live. You can say thats your understanding and then you can be introduced to the cultural and historical aspects that are required to understand that passage.

"I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." - Jesus, Matthew 15:24

Nah. I corrected you about the 2 Covenants. Never in a million years would anyone anticipate such an overblown response on your part. It clearly set you off that I chipped in with a fact. It inspired you to write what you call "walls of text" in response.

A simple communications issue is construed as me implicating Christian thought (even though Jesus makes several references to the continuity of the Hebrew bible and his teachings).

You just skipped 6 points. :lol:

Nope, addressed them all.  Plus still waiting on your "explanation" on how Jesus is love when he wants to slaughter his enemies.  

1 minute ago, downzy said:

"I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." - Jesus, Matthew 15:24

That sentence does appear in the Bible :thumbsup: As do others. 

You'll find that Christianity is in no small part based in the whole of its scripture.

Nope, addressed them all.  Plus still waiting on your "explanation" on how Jesus is love when he wants to slaughter his enemies.  

No you didn't :lol:

4 hours ago, soon said:

You'll find that Christianity is in no small part based in the whole of its scripture.

Right, which is kind of the point.  It's just one giant exercise in contradiction and doctrine of convenience.  Kind of what we're talking about here with your chastising others for not responding to your arguments when you have ignored others.

No you didn't :lol:

And which ones are those?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Come on, now. Surely that sentence doesn't mean what it seems to mean? Surely you need to have been indoctrinated into the peculiar and ancient ways of christian bible interpretation to understand how it means something else entirely? Surely by interpreting it literally one is displaying immense ignorance of the bible and its cultural and historical context? And surely having to explain this to people so awash in ignorance is beneath a scholar like yourself? 

EDIT:And there it came :lol:

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Come on, now. Surely that sentence doesn't mean what it seems to mean? Surely you need to have been indoctrinated into the peculiar and ancient ways of christian bible interpretation to understand how it means something else entirely? Surely by interpreting it literally one is displaying immense ignorance of the bible and its cultural and historical context? And surely having to explain this to people so awash in ignorance is beneath a scholar like yourself? 

One does need to know how to read scripture, yes. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

We don't get it Soul, I guess we never will.  Apparently everything in the Bible needs to be explained.  Jesus' words need to always be contextualized and never taken at face value.  Apparently two millenniums ago, slaughtering one's enemies was just another way of inviting them over for tea.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, soon said:

One does need to know how to read scripture, yes. 

Yes, otherwise the bible would just come across as a collection of books that doesn't present a cohesive story, theology or ethical system - - and far from it divinely inspired - - that would be sadly lacking as a foundation for a religion and its god would appear to be a bipolar monster indifferent to human suffering and its followers nothing but utterly confused and brainwashed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

We don't get it Soul, I guess we never will.  Apparently everything in the Bible needs to be explained.  Jesus' words need to always be contextualized and never taken at face value.  

The worst argument ever in reference to a guy who famously taught in parables. Which are by definition are not to be taken at face value. :lol:

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

Surely that sentence doesn't mean what it seems to mean?

Is it really so difficult for you to be confronted with the fact that you cant just read any text from any culture or vintage and understand it with out context? Not to mention what the rest of the same text demonstrates.

Edited by soon

4 minutes ago, soon said:

The worst argument ever in reference to a guy who famously taught in parables. Which are by definition are not to be taken at face value. :lol:

Is it really so difficult for you to be confronted with the fact that you cant just read any text from any culture or vintage and understand it with out context? 

Okay, so what is the context of that passage?  What is the context about slaughtering one's enemies?  How does any of it gel with your argument that the most important lesson Jesus preaches is one of love?  

EDIT: Yes, I am well aware that Jesus, at times, speaks in parables.  But neither of these two incidents are apart of any large parable.  

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

Okay, so what is the context of that passage?  What is the context about slaughtering one's enemies?  How does any of it gel with your argument that the most important lesson Jesus preaches is one of love?  

We werent talking about that passage. You quoted Matthew 15:24 :lol:

And since you discredited yourself by not responding to my points during your tear about me not responding to things. Which was in response to me talking about the different issues of using emojis. The conversation is stalled at you not responding to my earlier points.

Edited by soon

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

EDIT: Yes, I am well aware that Jesus, at times, speaks in parables.  But neither of these two incidents are apart of any large parable.  

Answer my points, hypocrite

6 minutes ago, soon said:

We werent talking about that passage. You quoted Matthew 15:24 :lol:

I was referencing two passages.  Matthew 15:24 and Luke 19:27.  But nice dodge.  

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Answer my points, hypocrite

What points have I not addressed?  I reviewed all of your posts and don't see where I missed anything.  And I've asked you repeatedly to explain what post I have missed.  

"The Qur'an makes plain that early Muslims saw themself not as rivals of these two faiths but as heirs to the same legacy: Muhammad's revelations had previously been revealed to Abraham and Ishmael, to Isaac and Jacob and the tribes'; God had entrusted the same messages to Moses and Jesus too. 'We discriminate against none of them', says the Qur'an. In other words, the prophets of Judaism and Christianity were the same as those of Islam." - Peter Frankopan, The Silk Roads: A New History of the World, p. 84

• Like 1

The above conversation with Downzy and Soul making odd claims about scripture and "responding" etiquette started in the US thread and was moved here.

Because this religion thread has been so poorly modded, many Christians have chosen to not post here. I will honour the request of my Siblings to quit this thread. 

Cue lies about my motives! Mutually reinforce your fragile positions and dishonest assertions! 

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Well they got that right at least. :lol: 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

You know you need to change your ways when you are being called out by the Nazis. 

If you are the societal grouping most unwilling to vote NSDAP, and that is most liable to be attacked by the Nazis when the Nazis are in power, you are probably doing something right.