The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

6 minutes ago, soon said:

The above conversation with Downzy and Soul making odd claims about scripture and "responding" etiquette started in the US thread and was moved here.

Because this religion thread has been so poorly modded, many Christians have chosen to not post here. I will honour the request of my Siblings to quit this thread. 

Cue lies about my motives! Mutually reinforce your fragile positions and dishonest assertions! 

So because you don't agree with the modding in this thread (which, by the way, has never been reported to any mod or admin), you're going to duck out on providing any further explanation?  

Well, guess you got your out.  

7 hours ago, soon said:

I will honour the request of my Siblings to quit this thread. 

Cue lies about my motives! Mutually reinforce your fragile positions and dishonest assertions! 

Why do you write "siblings" with a capital S? 

And what? :lol:

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you are the societal grouping most unwilling to vote NSDAP, and that is most liable to be attacked by the Nazis when the Nazis are in power, you are probably doing something right.

Surely not if it is because they are opposed to your molesting ways 😉. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2019 at 12:21 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

It was always going to be Birmingham or Bradford where this would be discovered right? 

They should of claimed discovery in Luton just to watch the skin head EDL idiot's heads roll!!

Fuck me a 1300 year old load of nonsense. Absolute bollocks! All these books are absolute cobblers because their individual sky fairies are no more real than Rupert the Bear. 

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

They are kind of mutually exclusive. The bibble isn’t big on science. 

I disagree with the first part of your sentence. The second part: maybe it is very big on science. Wink.

perhaps there are more than 1 truth, perhaps there are 2, maybe even 3 that make it the whole truth and nothing butt. Hemorrhoids. I think it's a triangle.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

I disagree with the first part of your sentence. The second part: maybe it is very big on science. Wink.

perhaps there are more than 1 truth, perhaps there are 2, maybe even 3 that make it the whole truth and nothing butt. Hemorrhoids. I think it's a triangle.

Existence of God rests on a foundation of nothing. Any assumptions on the existence of gods is therefore not very scientific. Just like it would be unscientific to claim that unicorns exist. Religious scientists make me cringe. I am not saying they can't be good scientists, but there is some serious unresolved cognitive dissonance going on there. It is in a sense intellectually immature to not apply the same intellectual approach to one's own beliefs as one would to anything else in the world, especially when you are trained to do so as a scientist.

And no, the bible isn't scientific at all. Mostly because science as a method wasn't developed by then so it is as weak on science as it is on, say, thermodynamics. Whatever claims it makes about the natural world, and it makes lots of them, are derived from religious revelation (which is as unscientific as it goes), traditional beliefs, and results from deduction and proto-scientific experiments. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Existence of God rests on a foundation of nothing. Any assumptions on the existence of gods is therefore not very scientific. Just like it would be unscientific to claim that unicorns exist. Religious scientists make me cringe. I am not saying they can't be good scientists, but there is some serious unresolved cognitive dissonance going on there. It is in a sense intellectually immature to not apply the same intellectual approach to one's own beliefs as one would to anything else in the world, especially when you are trained to do so as a scientist.

And no, the bible isn't scientific at all. Mostly because science as a method wasn't developed by then so it is as weak on science as it is on, say, thermodynamics. Whatever claims it makes about the natural world, and it makes lots of them, are derived from religious revelation (which is as unscientific as it goes), traditional beliefs, and results from deduction and proto-scientific experiments. 

but you look at it only from a scientific approach. so you assume the bible is false, this conversation cannot go anywhere constructive imo but I respect your opinion as I don't claim to know what you know from your angle.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

but you look at it only from a scientific approach. so you assume the bible is false, this conversation cannot go anywhere constructive imo but I respect your opinion as I don't claim to know what you know from your angle.

Since the scientific method is the only method for figuring out things about our world that has been shown to consistently give good results, there really is no other sensible way to look at it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Since the scientific method is the only method for figuring out things about our world that has been shown to consistently give good results, there really is no other sensible way to look at it. 

sometimes what makes sense to us is a lie like the world was thought to be flat. it made perfect sense.

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

sometimes what makes sense to us is a lie like the world was thought to be flat. it made perfect sense.

What makes sense to us is often wrong. We are stupid. Hence the scientific method which has been designed to compensate for humans' cognitive errors.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What makes sense to us is often wrong. We are stupid. Hence the scientific method which has been designed to compensate for humans' cognitive errors.

maybe it was designed by God. Perhaps God is a more advanced form of life.

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Sure. But that is again a belief build on a foundation of nothing.

just because it hasn't been proven doesn't mean it's nothing. the truth is out there for science to seek and find although I do think science is progressing slowly. the pace the slow considering what we know. where's the cure for cancer, hell, where the cure for baldness? for hair cells to grow back? where are the balls to research stem cells? against the law. no balls. science is not the only true method to advance.

Just now, Rovim said:

just because it hasn't been proven doesn't mean it's nothing. the truth is out there for science to seek and find although I do think science is progressing slowly. the pace the slow considering what we know. where's the cure for cancer, hell, where the cure for baldness? for hair cells to grow back? where are the balls to research stem cells? against the law. no balls. science is not the only true method to advance.

When something hasn't been proven, and has no supportive evidence, then it is likely not to exist. And when that "something" is a supernatural entity, then it is even less likely to be real. And I can't for the loive of me understand why anyone would think it makes sense to believe in something that is that implausible. I suppose it comes from desire and hope?

Science works slowly yes, but it is still the best method we have. I mean, as far as knowledge-generating methods go, nothing beats science's CV. What other methods are there, really? Religious revelation? Divination? Gut feeling? Yeah, like any of those came up with the theory of relativity, the laws of thermodynamics, the synthetic theory of evolution, and resulted in just about every technological advance we have had, including the ability to fly, land on the moon, build computers, etc.