The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

How can you ruin fuckin' Shakespeare? It's fucking wank to begin with! :lol: 

I know you say these things just to get on my thrupenny bits and really and truly you understand the massive importance and amazingness of Shakespeare, stop trying to act like this ignorant Smoggie archetype cuz I know you're not :lol:

New Atheism has a Peter Pan complex. "That guy loves Jesus." Isnt a rousing punch line to anyone but a child or a New Atheist. Also childlike is the absence of shame when one makes a fool of themselves by, for instance, not knowing Christianity is monotheistic and believing that Catholicism represents all Christianity. You just follow up with a fart joke, get some approval by a fellow New Atheist and then go on making bold pronouncements from a place of ignorance as if nothing ever happened.

1 hour ago, soon said:

New Atheism has a Peter Pan complex. "That guy loves Jesus." Isnt a rousing punch line to anyone but a child or a New Atheist. Also childlike is the absence of shame when one makes a fool of themselves by, for instance, not knowing Christianity is monotheistic and believing that Catholicism represents all Christianity. You just follow up with a fart joke, get some approval by a fellow New Atheist and then go on making bold pronouncements from a place of ignorance as if nothing ever happened.

Are you talking about anyone here?

Only speaking for myself, but nothing wrong with loving Jesus. I was served by someone called Jesus at a Mexican restaurant recently, and he seemed like a lovely dude. The historical Jesus of Nazareth wasn't too bad, either. What is hilarious though, is adult people saying that they "love god". In a perfect world that would be perceived as as crazy as grown people saying they love magic unicorns.

And whether christianity is monotheistic is a more interesting thing to discuss than what it seems from your statement. Neither Judaism or Islam considers christianity a monotheistic religion in the proper sense of that word. Personally, I find the trinity automatically questions the validity of that claim, and also some denominations' fascinations for saints, demons, the devil, etc at the very least indicates a religion that is open for more than one deity but asks that its followers stick to one. But really, I couldn't care less. In a way, I would have had more respect for christianity if it was properly polytheistic. Like the Norse pantheon. That was a cool religion!

Who has ever said that catholicism represents all christianity? It is just one denomination out of (too) many. But that being said, it has 1.2 billion members whereas the anababptists have only, what, 4 million? So in that sense, the catholics speak for a lot more of christianity than what you do. Not that it matters. 

And fart jokes? Those can never be funny over the Internet, can they?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Actually Catholicism isnt a denomination. That's a term reserved for the 30,000 Protestants DENOMINATIONS. Lots of people make that mistake though, so I understand. 

I love this catholic arrogance! :lol:

Here's info for anyone not having a horse in the race: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Are you talking about anyone here?

Only speaking for myself, but nothing wrong with loving Jesus. I was served by someone called Jesus at a Mexican restaurant recently, and he seemed like a lovely dude. The historical Jesus of Nazareth wasn't too bad, either. What is hilarious though, is adult people saying that they "love god". In a perfect world that would be perceived as as crazy as grown people saying they love magic unicorns.

And whether christianity is monotheistic is a more interesting thing to discuss than what it seems from your statement. Neither Judaism or Islam considers christianity a monotheistic religion in the proper sense of that word. Personally, I find the trinity automatically questions the validity of that claim, and also some denominations' fascinations for saints, demons, the devil, etc at the very least indicates a religion that is open for more than one deity but asks that its followers stick to one. But really, I couldn't care less. In a way, I would have had more respect for christianity if it was properly polytheistic. Like the Norse pantheon. That was a cool religion!

Who has ever said that catholicism represents all christianity? It is just one denomination out of (too) many. But that being said, it has 1.2 billion members whereas the anababptists have only, what, 4 million? So in that sense, the catholics speak for a lot more of christianity than what you do. Not that it matters. 

And fart jokes? Those can never be funny over the Internet, can they?

Yes, all of these inaccurate statements have been made in this thread by people believing they were making smart statements. Repeatedly.

I love Jesus. Whats funny is your assumption that anyone cares what you think of that.

59 minutes ago, soon said:

Yes, all of these inaccurate statements have been made in this thread by people believing they were making smart statements. Repeatedly.

I love Jesus. Whats funny is your assumption that anyone cares what you think of that.

You didn't want to discuss the validity of the claim that christianity is monotheistic with me? 

Here's how I see it:

By adopting the veneration of saints, the early church became practically a polytheistic religion. People worshipped the saints, prayed to them, etc. One might argue that these, like the trinity, were all just distributed aspects of the godhead, but is that very different from the hinduism pantheon? And I am not saying this early church was polytheistic, I am saying one could make a fairly strong argument that it was. Then, much later, came the reformation and the protestant denominations scrapped the idea of saints. So in that sense, this branch of christianity, your sect included, is more monotheistic than the catholic church where they still venerate saints. But, you still have the issue of the trinity, as well as accepting other supernatural powers like the devil. So it is not as straight-forward as just claiming that christianity is monotheistic, which, as I mentioned, jews and muslims will attest to.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You didn't want to discuss the validity of the claim that christianity is monotheistic with me? 

Here's how I see it:

By adopting the veneration of saints, the early church became practically a polytheistic religion. People worshipped the saints, prayed to them, etc. One might argue that these, like the trinity, were all just distributed aspects of the godhead, but is that very different from the hinduism pantheon? And I am not saying this early church was polytheistic, I am saying one could make a fairly strong argument that it was. Then, much later, came the reformation and the protestant denominations scrapped the idea of saints. So in that sense, this branch of christianity, your sect included, is more monotheistic than the catholic church where they still venerate saints. But, you still have the issue of the trinity, as well as accepting other supernatural powers like the devil. So it is not as straight-forward as just claiming that christianity is monotheistic, which, as I mentioned, jews and muslims will attest to.

Im quite aware of various ways of seeing the Trinity - or not. And theres endless discussion one could have.

If you were to read scripture you'd see that early Christians considered all believers to be saints. Not venerated though. I am a saint.

You should finally take me up on my suggestion that you read An Ecstasy of Folly by Laura S Nassrallah to get a more informed look at how there were those in the Early Church who sought to create a spiritual hierarchy, mostly for pride. I think that is what youre trying to get at here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

If you'd read my post, which I can assume you didn't, you would have seen I have no problems with loving Jesus. Any Jesus. Go for it. Love is great and you should neve look a gift horse in the mouth. Love conquers all, in this case a gulf of cultural differences, language issues and the fact that he's been dead for 2000 years and are now reduced to his individual atoms. Still we take what we can get of love in this cruel world and I would never mock that.

And I think people care about what I think, to the same extent that I care what others think, with the disclaimer that this is just a message board with lots of bullshitting and having fun. I particularly care about what you think. And Mikey.

43 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yes you should, otherwise you might find yourself laying out its fare to the glue factory.  Mind you, you Euro poofters love a bit of horsemeat eh so perhaps not!

:lol:

What? You Brits are more "Euro" than us. You are even, still, part of the EU.

But no, horse meat is quite taboo in Norway. The Norse had a complicated relationship with horses and this probably is part of the explanation.