Whatever happened to the alternate covers?

I remember I was in my teens when CD came out and I crashed my car the week prior so I had to beg my mom to take me to Best Buy... my sister and mom took me. They were shopping other aisles and I paid for the cd... asked for the display box... dude said no even though it was empty... while my family was still shopping I snatched the plastic poster off the door and the display box and booked it out of the store...dumped the stuff in the car and sped off... told my mom I was done and to go to the Dunkin donuts a few stores down cuzz I wanted coffee and couldn’t wait for them 😂😂 I had a talking to once they found out what was in the car 😂

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Red Hand as well. Never listened to it- nor even took it out of its wrapping. I did print out the PDFs of all the artwork to flip through. Not sure how many there are- but want to say I paid $250 on eBay 5-6 years ago for it. Have it displayed on a stand next to my CD player. Probably it, and my Orange TSI? vinyl are my favorite Guns items...

On 14.08.2019 at 1:48 PM, Gianluca87 said:

maybe 40-50 copies more or less i think

There are 9 sold since the end of 2015 on Discogs + 12 in "have it" stats and I've seen at least 10 sold on Ebay for the last years. Don't think it's all the same people just reselling it so I'd say more likely 100-150 at least.

If I remember correctly there was a post somewhere on the forum about some guy selling lots of it just for 50$ back in the day.

By the way I have one too :)

16 hours ago, Gunnerfan_rus said:

There are 9 sold since the end of 2015 on Discogs + 12 in "have it" stats and I've seen at least 10 sold on Ebay for the last years. Don't think it's all the same people just reselling it so I'd say more likely 100-150 at least.

If I remember correctly there was a post somewhere on the forum about some guy selling lots of it just for 50$ back in the day.

By the way I have one too :)

100 are too many for me, maximum 60 pieces

16 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

How many Grenade covers were made?

i don't understand if is a fake or not.... but maybe 5-10 copies???

I also have a red hand CD, framed and displayed on one of my walls. Never opened it. They were produced, since they have Best Buy stickers with the wrapping, I'd guess there are several hundred to a few thousand at most. Could be cases or boxes of them in a warehouse somewhere. I doubt they would print or stamp out less than one hundred. Most have small holes drilled in the jewel cases so the intent of them was promo.

No confirmed real grenade albums exist, at best, the one or two out there were marketing samples, one or two offs.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

On 14.8.2019 at 1:38 PM, soon said:

I gotta imagine that some have speculated that it was a conspiracy to repress the more subversive/political covers and booklets?

(not that I think that)

Not sure about that. Some might argue that putting a bicycle on the cover is very political. Because riding a bike instead of driving a car makes you a dirty commie. 

Kuvahaun tulos haulle red forman communist

• Haha 2

On 8/16/2019 at 7:13 AM, Sweersa said:

No confirmed real grenade albums exist, at best, the one or two out there were marketing samples, one or two offs.

I recall a video of a fan having Ron sign a grenade cover, but you could be right that it was just a demo for marketing.

Was there different versions of this? The picture I downloaded says ‘Good Morning America’ on the ring-pull?

Actually - it very different! Different markings on grenade etc. Did he paint more than one?

Edited by DTJ80
Update

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Did he paint more than one?

It's from a series by Kandinsky called "The Grenade Room".

He also had works and styles called "Gemism" and "China-ism". 

All of the Chinese Democracy feature artwork from these series, e.g.: the centerfold from the Grenade cover C is from China-ism. 

4 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

The picture I downloaded says ‘Good Morning America’ on the ring-pull?

Yes, I don't have that one in appreciably high definition.

45 minutes ago, Gnrfan2001 said:

It's from a series by Kandinsky called "The Grenade Room".

He also had works and styles called "Gemism" and "China-ism". 

All of the Chinese Democracy feature artwork from these series, e.g.: the centerfold from the Grenade cover C is from China-ism. 

Yes, I don't have that one in appreciably high definition.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. 👍