STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

11 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah it’s cool going back through the entire saga knowing now that, all this time, Palpatine was looking for a nice Skywalker body to transfer his spirit into (that came out sounding way dirtier than I thought it would lol).

Fun fact: That faint, spooky chant that you hear in every Darth Maul scene in The Phantom Menace is the same exact chant all of the Sith cultists are shouting in the arena in The Rise of Skywalker.

I never noticed that about the chanting - too cool!

(Ha, Palatine and Harrison Ford were both looking to transfer their sprit to a Skywalker:smiley-confused2:)

Yeah, Im loving all the new aspects that TROS brings. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Seeing a lot of Star Wars Facebook discussion yesterday of course, and what was astounding to me was how many people still consider Rogue One to be a "gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe."

I even saw one comment saying it feels like a World War II piece!

Have any of these people ever seen a war film?

Yeah. I thought that as far as what made it into the released version of Rogue One, that Solo had grittier war scenes that were more reminiscent of a WWII piece (like Hans earlier service for the Empire)

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Just watch the extended version of the Maul lightsaber duel on youtube and save yourself the pain. 

40 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Seeing a lot of Star Wars Facebook discussion yesterday of course, and what was astounding to me was how many people still consider Rogue One to be a "gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe."

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Schindler's List with Gungans. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Yeah Rogue One is really overrated. I don’t understand why people like that movie as much as they do. The first 40 minutes or so are a jumbled mess! Though the rest of the movie, after Forest Whitaker dies, is pretty good imo... Those first 40-ish minutes will ALWAYS be an absolute chore for me to sit through, tho!

On 5/5/2020 at 11:00 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Just watch the extended version of the Maul lightsaber duel on youtube and save yourself the pain. 

I love all the movie outside of the Anakin scenes. Not a fan of Mauls silly scooter either. Star Wars is for kids at its core, so Jar Jar doesn’t surprise nor bother me. Outside of Ani it’s an incredible film! And it’s for reasons such as the Sabre dual that you celebrate - seeing Jedis doing Jedi council awesomeness for the first time!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

I love all the movie outside of the Anakin scenes. Not a fan of Mauls silly scooter either. Star Wars is for kids at its core, so Jar Jar doesn’t surprise nor bother me. Outside of Ani it’s an incredible film! And it’s for reasons such as the Sabre dual that you celebrate - seeing Jedis doing Jedi council awesomeness for the first time!!

I was fairly young when Phantom Menace came out, so while I recognize that it has TONS of flaws, I still have a bit of a soft spot for it. I agree that making Anakin so young was a strange choice, but really only Lucas is to blame for that. I feel bad for the actor that played him. He got bullied for the rest of his adolescent life, and is now institutionalized in a mental hospital, diagnosed with schizophrenia. Also his sister died in a freak accident shortly after he was sentenced to the mental institution for committing various crimes. Life hasn’t been good to him, and a lot of it has to do with how much he was bullied after starwars. It is what it is, though.

In other news; I’m thinking I may revise my ranking in the near future. Force Awakens is starting to sour on me a bit, though I’m pretty sure I still prefer it over Last Jedi, at the very least.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I was fairly young when Phantom Menace came out, so while I recognize that it has TONS of flaws, I still have a bit of a soft spot for it. I agree that making Anakin so young was a strange choice, but really only Lucas is to blame for that. I feel bad for the actor that played him. He got bullied for the rest of his adolescent life, and is now institutionalized in a mental hospital, diagnosed with schizophrenia. Also his sister died in a freak accident shortly after he was sentenced to the mental institution for committing various crimes. Life hasn’t been good to him, and a lot of it has to do with how much he was bullied after starwars. It is what it is, though.

In other news; I’m thinking I may revise my ranking in the near future. Force Awakens is starting to sour on me a bit, though I’m pretty sure I still prefer it over Last Jedi, at the very least.

I didn't actually know that things got nearly so difficult for him, thanks for filling me in. Thats horrible and so sad. I certainly didnt realize that he was institutionalized - currently no less. I should be more aware of that when I cast my judgments. 

I agree its got many flaws. Im sure even more than I have noticed yet, even. I guess I feel the same way about Phantom as I do UYIs. Some of its way over done, some of it maybe dips below the standards theyd previously set - but maybe some of it also comes close to exceeding it. It just alway retains its essence - and its essence is Star Wars! I mean, I love UYI 2 and it contains My World, lol. Also with the Ani scenes, the Smee stuff breaks my heart. Its painful to watch both emotionally and from a story telling perspective, for me. But at the same time, Im becoming a huge fan of this Obiwan and look forward to seeing more asap! Although maybe they botched Obiwan too and I just havent picked up on it yet. 

Ive been jonesing for TFA lately. Its not on Disney+ here and I don't have a copy. I can enjoy TLJ but TROS's repositioning of Rose makes her useless mission in TLJ even more annoying to me - it didnt matter and now neither does she even! Why did I read a book about her and Paige then? lol #ColbaltSquadron4Life. What about TFA is souring for you?

51 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Jar Jar is, ironically, one of the more well developed characters in the film. Maul is wasted, as is the great Liam Neeson.

:lol:

Gave my ranking more thought now. Here’s my revised version (canon shows included):

Great

1.SW77

2.TESB

3.Mando

Good

4.RotJ

5.TCW (Series)

Fine

6.Solo

7.RotS/ TRoS

8.TPM/ TFA

9.R1/ TLJ

Bad

10.AotC

11.TCW (Movie)

Haven’t seen either Rebels or Resistance in a long time (and haven’t watched either in full, to be honest), so I’m not sure how to feel about those two right now.

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Jar Jar is, ironically, one of the more well developed characters in the film. Maul is wasted, as is the great Liam Neeson.

Yeah George accidentally made the comic relief into the main character of the film! Lol!

2 hours ago, soon said:

I didn't actually know that things got nearly so difficult for him, thanks for filling me in. Thats horrible and so sad. I certainly didnt realize that he was institutionalized - currently no less. I should be more aware of that when I cast my judgments. 

I agree its got many flaws. Im sure even more than I have noticed yet, even. I guess I feel the same way about Phantom as I do UYIs. Some of its way over done, some of it maybe dips below the standards theyd previously set - but maybe some of it also comes close to exceeding it. It just alway retains its essence - and its essence is Star Wars! I mean, I love UYI 2 and it contains My World, lol. Also with the Ani scenes, the Smee stuff breaks my heart. Its painful to watch both emotionally and from a story telling perspective, for me. But at the same time, Im becoming a huge fan of this Obiwan and look forward to seeing more asap! Although maybe they botched Obiwan too and I just havent picked up on it yet. 

Ive been jonesing for TFA lately. Its not on Disney+ here and I don't have a copy. I can enjoy TLJ but TROS's repositioning of Rose makes her useless mission in TLJ even more annoying to me - it didnt matter and now neither does she even! Why did I read a book about her and Paige then? lol #ColbaltSquadron4Life. What about TFA is souring for you?

:lol:

I still enjoy TFA, but in hindsight, I think it left too many mysteries open. I understand that the filmmakers were trying to “hook” people into seeing the next one (“come back next time to find out the answers to all these questions!”), but I feel like TFA did that a little too much, which caused everyone to spend the next two years subconsciously making up their own answers in their head, and there’s just no way to create answers to ALL of those questions that would satisfy literally everyone.

I think they shoulda just revealed Rey’s lineage right away in TFA, and also make it more clear that the map to Luke was really just a map to the first Jedi temple, and the rebels knew that’s where Luke went, and R2 just happened to have the rest of the map cause he used to study Jedi history with Luke. The comics explain that, but the movie, as is, doesn’t really address those details enough, so it makes it look like Luke WANTED to be found, which doesn’t really make a lot of sense story-wise. Having him already dressed in his leather TLJ rags at the end of TFA, instead of in Jedi robes, would’ve also helped. That way, audiences would have walked into TLJ already understanding that Luke is a broken man.

All of that being said, I still prefer TFA over TLJ (see my new ranking in the post above!).

The Obi-Wan show is on hold right now due to script rewrites, and there’s a rumor that they might turn it back into a movie now, actually.

I agree that Rose is kinda useless. Whenever I watch TLJ, instead of watching the real version, I always watch one of the fan edits that cuts her and Holdo out of almost the entire movie.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • GNFNR 1

Finally watched TROS so I can at least say I gave it a fair chance. Somewhere in there is an amazing film but what a clunky, horribly paced retcon of a film. Overall though, I enjoyed it far more than most of the other Disney efforts. That's not saying much though. Such wasted potential.

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Finally watched TROS so I can at least say I gave it a fair chance. Somewhere in there is an amazing film but what a clunky, horribly paced retcon of a film. Overall though, I enjoyed it far more than most of the other Disney efforts. That's not saying much though. Such wasted potential.

It’s my favorite of the sequel trilogy, but that’s by default, more than anything else.

I’m one of the few people who is glad that they brought Palpatine back. Having Kylo Ren as “the final boss,” like TLJ tried to make him be, just doesn’t make sense. It breaks the “foundational pillars” of starwars too much, imo.

Had TRoS continued on the path that TLJ laid out, then either one of two things would’ve happened: Either Kylo would’ve been redeemed with no bad guy for him to fight, which would’ve been very anticlimactic, or he would’ve died evil and unredeemed, which goes against the message of the original trilogy that anyone who starts off good and then becomes corrupted by evil can find their way back to light, no matter how many mistakes they’ve made.

Bringing back Palpatine corrects that major error that TLJ created for the finale. I get that having your “final boss” be a hellish demon is a cliche, but it’s a cliche for a reason (cause it works!)...

Kylo Ren has been a big problem for this trilogy in general. The redemption was handled well and the send off with Han was touching, but he's such a wasted character overall. He never got a chance to be a truly great villain or a truly conflicted character. He spent the last two films bumbling around and having Skype conversations with Rey. Poor Adam Driver. Again, so much potential (as with the whole sequel trilogy) but clunky writing and terrible execution. Had JJ done the middle film then all might have been well. We'd have a "play it safe" but enjoyable trilogy. Instead, it's a mess with zero consistency.

Fuck you, Mickey Mouse!

Oh wait, Axl had nothing to do with this film.

Forget it. I hate everything. :lol:

32 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Kylo Ren has been a big problem for this trilogy in general. The redemption was handled well and the send off with Han was touching, but he's such a wasted character overall. He never got a chance to be a truly great villain or a truly conflicted character. He spent the last two films bumbling around and having Skype conversations with Rey. Poor Adam Driver. Again, so much potential (as with the whole sequel trilogy) but clunky writing and terrible execution. Had JJ done the middle film then all might have been well. We'd have a "play it safe" but enjoyable trilogy. Instead, it's a mess with zero consistency.

Fuck you, Mickey Mouse!

Oh wait, Axl had nothing to do with this film.

Forget it. I hate everything. :lol:

Honestly I feel like JJ is partly to blame cause, as I said above, TFA is filled with too many mystery boxes. Didn’t start things off with enough of a “sense of direction,” so to speak. So we were always going to get a controversial trilogy, and JJ is partly to blame for that. Would it have been LESS controversial than what we actually got? Yes, most likely, but still controversial nonetheless.

Edited by rocknroll41

I disagree with Kylo Ren, although I get what you guys are saying. I think he is far and away the best new character, and has become one of my favorite parts of SW. I kind of like how he was very unsure the entire trilogy. You still see him as a ruthless villain plenty, with ordering the deaths of the villagers, killing Han, trying to kill Luke outright, andhe is implied to be pretty brutal in TROS as Supreme Leader. I would have been totally fine with more of him on screen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I disagree with Kylo Ren, although I get what you guys are saying. I think he is far and away the best new character, and has become one of my favorite parts of SW. I kind of like how he was very unsure the entire trilogy. You still see him as a ruthless villain plenty, with ordering the deaths of the villagers, killing Han, trying to kill Luke outright, andhe is implied to be pretty brutal in TROS as Supreme Leader. I would have been totally fine with more of him on screen

really cool character portrayed by a very talented actor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

A lot of what you said is actually what my problem with him is. So much is implied rather than shown. He should have definitely had more screen time in all the films. I wanted to see him wreaking havoc, not talking to Rey on Facetime so she can tell him to put a shirt on. They seem to give him even less to do in TROS. His character development is pushed aside for half the film.

Side note - I wonder how much he pays for data usage on the Force network.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

A lot of what you said is actually what my problem with him is. So much is implied rather than shown. He should have definitely had more screen time in all the films. I wanted to see him wreaking havoc, not talking to Rey on Facetime so she can tell him to put a shirt on. They seem to give him even less to do in TROS. His character development is pushed aside for half the film.

Side note - I wonder how much he pays for data usage on the Force network.

Yeah they needed to cut the fat and give him more to do in TROS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2020 at 5:25 AM, RussTCB said:

Watched it again this morning on Disney+

Liked it just as much as I did in the theater. 

Yeah, I watched it again recently too.

I still think the space horses running on the Star Destroyers is one of the absolute worst scenes ever filmed, but the rest of it I still thoroughly enjoyed. 

I almost lean towards it being the best film of the new trilogy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Yeah, I watched it again recently too.

I still think the space horses running on the Star Destroyers is one of the absolute worst scenes ever filmed, but the rest of it I still thoroughly enjoyed. 

I almost lean towards it being the best film of the new trilogy. 

It’s pretty easily my favorite of the new trilogy. I even like the silly space horses! Lol

• Like 2

I’m planning to watch TROS with the Rebel Force Radio commentary track.

They also said that the novelization handles more exposition than the average Star Wars movie novelization. Looking forward to that too!

I watched it again. Its a fun, entertaining and easy rewatch but I remain frusturated by what wasnt in the movie that seemed like no brainers

-Galaxy should have been rallied because of Luke's sacrifice in TLJ.  Its what TFA and TLJ set up. In TFA Luke was the myth the galaxy wanted, in TLJ he was the fallen hero who learned to live up to the myth and become a legend by saving the Resistance. They could have easily had Zori mention him inspiring hope when she was talking to Poe and it would have made Lando's abrupt navy more believable while keeping the legend of Luke Skywalker. The Galaxy was basically on standby because of Luke and just needed Lando to kick it off. This is a big miss for me that could have been rectified with mere lines of dialog. Oh well, they dont contradict it so that still works for the story, would have just been nice to have a line or two dedicated to it.

-Not having the Force ghosts back Rey and Ben up at the end. The voices were fine and better than nothing, but having the all the Jedi ghosts appear to even just stand behind the two of them would have been great. Its fan service, but the movie was chalk full of it, so why not go all out? Would have given Luke another scene with Ben, and would have given Ben and Anakin a scene together with the whole Jedi gang. Would have also made the crappy "I am all the Jedi" awesome if Rey said "WE are all the Jedi" with all the ghosts and Ben with her. Cannot believe that didnt happen.

-Ben's participation in the final fight. The Knights of Ren and Sith guard fight was cool, but way too fast and abrupt. Extend that a minute or two and then don't have Ben sit out the Palpatine fight, that was so anticlimactic. I did like him resurrecting Rey and giving his life for it, but he should have been apart of the fight itself.

-Show the actual space battle. What the fuck, JJ? You have the biggest fleet ever in Star Wars and you dont even show it really fight. We see starfighters kind of duke it out but the big capital ships remain in the background. That could have been the coolest battle ever and it stayed in the background. 

-Give the Knights of Ren SOMETHING to do. Useless characters. At the bare minimum, have them fight at the intro and extend it and have them fight on Passana to establish them as powerful and as a threat

-Give Finn a meaningful story. Storm Trooper rebellion should have stayed in the script

Overall, I don't hate the movie because I like all Star Wars. I think it's junk food, though. Its fun to watch and has some great parts, but if you stop to think about it too much, you see the many problems. Lots of flash over well-thought out writing and It feels like a rushed studio flick instead of something special. It frusturates me because if they combined the best of TRoS with the best ideas from the Duel of Fates script, and put in those things I wrote above, it could have been an AWESOME Star Wars movie instead of an average one. It remains firmly in the middle of my SW rankings. I do appreciate how it wrapped everything up without leaving unanswered plot points and even gave the original characters a nice ending and closure, even if it's in the afterlife. I feel like Luke, Han, and Leia were at peace at the end.

Oh well, it was a serviceable ending that tied everything up even if it didnt completely stick the landing. It doesnt ruin the franchise like Game of Throne's ending

For me TLJ is a far better movie, though 

Edited by ZoSoRose