STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

On 2/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, downzy said:

Yeah, I would be more interested in what Johnson could do if he were given free reign to start something from scratch, divorced from the Skywalker story.

My issue with TLJ is that it was too much of a departure from the overarching narrative and general themes laid out by the previous seven films.  I think the "democratization of the force" is an interesting concept, just not one that belongs in the story that still heavily relies on the Skywalker storyline.  

I would have enjoyed that movie (TLJ) a lot more if they explained or showed remnant New Republic forces (surely all were not at the capital when it was blown up, and we see many ships in Episode IX assumed to be New Republic forces at the end) helping or combining with the Resistance, and also had Luke show up in the flesh with his green lightsaber to kick ass on Crait, and most importantly, include the "I've got a bad feeling about this" line all other saga films have. I also think the hyperspace ram would have been better if Ackbar did it.

13 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I would have enjoyed that movie (TLJ) a lot more if they explained or showed remnant New Republic forces (surely all were not at the capital when it was blown up, and we see many ships in Episode IX assumed to be New Republic forces at the end) helping or combining with the Resistance, and also had Luke show up in the flesh with his green lightsaber to kick ass on Crait, and most importantly, include the "I've got a bad feeling about this" line all other saga films have. I also think the hyperspace ram would have been better if Ackbar did it.

1.The ships at the end of TRoS were just normal citizens. Not a republic fleet.

2.The purpose of Luke being a projection was to embrace the idea of “a Jedi uses their strength only for knowledge and defense, never for attack” (which Yoda said in ESB).

3.BB8 says “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” at the beginning of TLJ.

4.Really? You want a guy named ACKBAR to commit kamikaze?

On 12/31/2021 at 4:28 AM, rocknroll41 said:

1.The ships at the end of TRoS were just normal citizens. Not a republic fleet.

2.The purpose of Luke being a projection was to embrace the idea of “a Jedi uses their strength only for knowledge and defense, never for attack” (which Yoda said in ESB).

3.BB8 says “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” at the beginning of TLJ.

4.Really? You want a guy named ACKBAR to commit kamikaze?

1. There were roughly 15,000 ships. And we know that New Republic task forces were dissolved to protect homeworlds, and we know Lando went to the core systems for help, where there were still free planets, presumably protected by New Republic forces. We also know that planetary defense forces were strengthened when the New Republic stepped down their forces after the empire surrendered, so I'm sure a number of those ships were absorbed by individual systems. It's more than probable some of the 15,000 ships were New Republic, and/or formerly New Republic. The New Republic had numerous fleets and bases, not just on the ill-fated Hosnian Prime. I'm sure many NR forces surrendered or were destroyed by the First Order invasion, but some holdouts would have been likely, as occurs in all conflicts. Several Mon Calamari cruisers were seen in the film, I would bet a handful were New Republic, or formerly mothballed cruisers recently reactivated. It's sad we didn't get to see awesome ship to ship combat like we did in Rogue One. Even 5 minutes of dog fights and a Starhawk taking on a Star Destroyer would have been killer. 

2. It was cool, but I think it could have been done better. It would have made more sense for Luke's projection to have his green lightsaber, since as viewers we know the blue one was broken in the previous sequence, and Kylo Ren knew Luke to have his green lightsaber, so Luke having his green saber would have been more realistic on both fronts. 

3. Interesting, didn't know that! Makes me feel slightly better about that movie.

4. My mind didn't go there, but that is a humerus observation. The Raddus was named after a prominent Admiral of the same special as Ackbar, and it would have been a suitable death for such a beloved and brave character, especially over a woman we just met in that movie.

Enjoying watching it so far. But the acting is absolutely appalling that it's hard to stay connected. It feels like a high budget Xena Warrior Princess or something. 

Boba needs to be a bit more badass too imo, the first episode he needed the bacta tank after minimal effort - but perhaps there is a story there?

Regardless of the absolutely appalling acting which removes me from the immersion, for want of a better term, I'll continue watching as enjoy the sets, lore etc etc. 

• Like 2

Really enjoyed boba episode 3. EDIT: except for the chase. That sucked…

Predictions: By the end of the show, Boba will prove to other tribes of Tuskens that he has some Tusken history himself, and unite the tribes in a battle against the Pikes. I think Krrsantan will come back too, and fight alongside Boba, Fennec, the kids, the Gamorians, the Tuskens, etc. Obviously Boba will be leading the charge on his new rancor, and hopefully Trejo sticks around too. I’d also love to see other frequent Robert Rodriguez collaborators show up, but not getting my hopes up. EDIT 2: oh yeah and I assume the warrior woman Tusken will come back for that finale also, since we didn’t see her body in the slaughter.

Its also interesting how they keep mentioning how Tattooine used to be an ocean planet. I don’t think it’ll ever be that way again (it can’t cause of Rise of Skywalker anyways), but I do think that means water will play a role somehow in the climax of the finale episode.

At one point, I thought Fennec would betray Boba due to him becoming so sympathetic, but I no longer think that’ll be the case.

Edited by rocknroll41

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Really enjoyed boba episode 3.

Predictions: By the end of the show, Boba will prove to other tribes of Tuskens that he has some Tusken history himself, and unite the tribes in a battle against the Pikes. I think Krrsantan will come back too, and fight alongside Boba, Fennec, the kids, the Gamorians, the Tuskens, etc. Obviously Boba will be leading the charge on his new rancor, and hopefully Trejo sticks around too. I’d also love to see other frequent Robert Rodriguez collaborators show up, but not getting my hopes up.

Its also interesting how they keep mentioning how Tattooine used to be an ocean planet. I don’t think it’ll ever be that way again (it can’t cause of TRoS anyways), but I do think that means water will play a role somehow in the climax of the finale episode.

At one point, I thought Fennec would betray Boba due to him becoming so sympathetic, but I no longer think that’ll be the case.

I likes it as well, but it felt a little too emo spy kids at times. That wookie was badness. I understand why Lucas went with Ewoks instead in RotJ.

Episode 4 was really good, for the most part. Boba’s motivations make a lot more sense now. I only have two complaints:

1.Why would he think his armor was in the sarlaac? You crawled out of the sarlaac with your armor on, dumbass!

2.Having spice be the central item of the plot makes this all feel too much like Dune, and the last thing SW needs is more similarities to Dune.

Aside from that, I’m really enjoying this show and looking forward to more.

EDIT: oh yeah we also never learned how Boba found out who Cobb Vanth was and that he had his armor. Oh well. I guess that’s a small hole in the grand scheme of things, tho.

Edited by rocknroll41

Been on a SW lately cause of Boba, honestly I need to re-watch Rise of Skywalker.  When I saw it in theaters I knew it was full of narrative flaws but had a fun time, and when I saw it at home I liked it a lot less, but I want to revisit it after a year and see what I think a third time

17 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Been on a SW lately cause of Boba, honestly I need to re-watch Rise of Skywalker.  When I saw it in theaters I knew it was full of narrative flaws but had a fun time, and when I saw it at home I liked it a lot less, but I want to revisit it after a year and see what I think a third time

For me that movie only works now when I treat it as a “self contained” epilogue to the OT and pretend that TFA and TLJ don’t exist. Don’t get me wrong, I like TLJ (it’s my favorite of the new ones now actually), but TRoS doesn’t fit with it at all so I find it best to not even try to connect the two of them in my head.

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

For me that movie only works now when I treat it as a “self contained” epilogue to the OT and pretend that TFA and TLJ don’t exist. Don’t get me wrong, I like TLJ (it’s my favorite of the new ones now actually), but TRoS doesn’t fit with it at all so I find it best to not even try to connect the two of them in my head.

Ha yeah I can agree with a premise like that.  For me it is just hard to really justify the Palpatine returning thing, as I am sure most SW fans have been feeling too.   For me TFA is my favorite, it didn't do anything new but I liked how at the end it had so much potential

TLJ I liked when it first came out, but knowing the story goes to TRoS after it, it brings it down for me a bit

12 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Ha yeah I can agree with a premise like that.  For me it is just hard to really justify the Palpatine returning thing, as I am sure most SW fans have been feeling too.   For me TFA is my favorite, it didn't do anything new but I liked how at the end it had so much potential

TLJ I liked when it first came out, but knowing the story goes to TRoS after it, it brings it down for me a bit

This is actually what TLJ was originally supposed to lead to:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Duel_of_the_Fates

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:27 AM, WhazUp said:

You won't believe the new Boba Fett episode. It is anything but Boba Fett :lol: Amazing episode with some answers about the end of Mandalorian season 2

• Like 1

Episode 5 was fun (and even emotional at times), though I honestly feel like some of the lore/backstory stuff should’ve been saved for Mando Season 3. Also, Fennec just so happened to show up at the mechanic’s shop to look for Mando the same exact day Mando was there to get his new ship?

Edited by rocknroll41

9 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I’ve honestly found  Boba Fett boring as shit, and overall quite lame. I loved this recent episode, because it didn’t centre around Boba at all. 

Yeha same here. I'm sticking it with it though for the lore/story etc. 

And agree this latest episode was brilliant. Goes to show that with the right directing and acting makes a big difference, when Mando first started I figured he had the easiest acting gig ever (seeing as the mask is always on), but after watching Boba - even with his mask on its grindingly bad in that department. Got a lot more respect for the Mando actor (forgotten his name now) , instantly I was back and immersed it which I really struggle with BOBF. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

The Boba Fett show is a mess. Also, IX got way worst with time. Awful film if you take 10 seconds to think about it.

This week's episode showed me I still care about what Mando is up to, though

Yeah I’ve come to realize that TRoS only works if you don’t think too hard about it (which is true for every SW film but especially this one) and pretend that TLJ doesn’t exist (regardless of whether or not you liked TLJ). That said, I still take TRoS over TFA and it’s bullshit mystery boxes (hot take, I know).

Edited by rocknroll41

16 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I've been enjoying Boba so far, enjoyable but not amazing. I think they could have gave him a cooler story than they have. Nice they randomly gave us an episode of the mandalorian lol.

I think Boba is uneven. At times it's cool and yet at times is boring as hell. I was expecting some kind of cross over with Mandalorian.  Bu I never thought I would see episode 9 of  Mandalorian season 2.

13 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

This week's episode showed me I still care about what Mando is up to, though

Oh! I care about Mando as well. But it's gonna take a while until we get season 3. There are many new shows this year. So it was cool to get some answers now... Damn! I really miss the Razor Crest

• Like 2