STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

On 6/2/2022 at 5:43 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Kenobi episode 3 was pretty good imo! Not perfect, but good! Looking forward to more. This show is a breath of fresh air after Boba Fett.

I 100% agree. While I would say that the Vader vs. Kenobi standoff could've been better... that was THE shit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I've seen speculation that Vader's voice is AI. I get JEJ is old but yeah I don't know how to feel about that if it's true lol. 

It’s true. It’s only credited to JEJ cause the AI is based on his voice. Same goes for Mark Hamill in Mando/Boba.

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It’s true. It’s only credited to JEJ cause the AI is based on his voice. Same goes for Mark Hamill in Mando/Boba.

That's super lame. I really hate all this AI voice acting stuff. 

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Finally got around to watching Kenobi episode 4. I thought it was pretty good! Kinda surprised it’s been getting mixed reception.

I enjoyed the episode but I also felt like nothing happened after it finished even though a lot clearly did, probably because it was shorter. I've been seeing a lot of petty complaining about the show if I'm honest. I don't want to dismiss people's complaints but when I read a lot of them I'm just like can you not just enjoy the fantasy space show lol.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

The Star War shows haven't been stellar.

The second season of Mandalorian was fun, but outside of that, it's not been great.

Kenobi has been better than the rest, in my opinion.  Agreed with the last two posts, I thought episode four was better than the reviews I've read.

My only concern is that the series is six episodes long.  With only two episodes left, seems like they have a lot to cover before everything wraps.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying Kenobi. It's not perfect, but it is respectable. Episode IV was the most problematic so far but it's not like I hated it. The disguise to escape the base was hilariously stupid. 

Boba Fett was fun - nothing more and nothing less. Very similar to how I felt about Solo; I can watch it and have a good time and just unplug.

Mando is the best from Disney+ so far. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'm enjoying Kenobi. It's not perfect, but it is respectable. Episode IV was the most problematic so far but it's not like I hated it. The disguise to escape the base was hilariously stupid. 

Boba Fett was fun - nothing more and nothing less. Very similar to how I felt about Solo; I can watch it and have a good time and just unplug.

Mando is the best from Disney+ so far. 

It’s a lot of dumb decisions that sink the content for me. Boba had too much dumb action and posing for me and it was so weird how it turned into Mando 2.0

The end sequence in the last episode of Kenobi was all of the stuff I dislike about Disney Star Wars. The Rebel speeder part was so rough for me

IX, Boba, and to a lesser extent, Kenobi have been disappointing so far for me 

LOVE Mando though! 

7 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

It’s a lot of dumb decisions that sink the content for me. Boba had too much dumb action and posing for me and it was so weird how it turned into Mando 2.0

The end sequence in the last episode of Kenobi was all of the stuff I dislike about Disney Star Wars. The Rebel speeder part was so rough for me

IX, Boba, and to a lesser extent, Kenobi have been disappointing so far for me 

LOVE Mando though! 

Boba Fett turning into Mando S2.5 is probably the most problematic thing Disney+ has done - it's one thing for Mando to appear in BOBF, but not everybody who watches Mando was going to watch BOBF. It makes no sense to advance Mando's plot in another show like that. 

TROS is the worst thing Disney has done with Star Wars so far. What a shitty way to wrap up the Skywalker saga. 

• Like 2

Really liked The Mandalorian

Mildly enjoyed The Book of Boba Fett

Enjoying Obi Wan

Loved The Force Awakens

Thought The Last Jedi was one of the best Star Wars movies of all time

Despised Rise of Skywalker, probably the worst big franchise movie I have ever seen.

Really liked Rogue One.

Hated Solo.

So far I’d say Disney had more rights than wrongs but Rise of Skywalker was so bad, I’d prefer none of these existed if it meant we never had that turd.

I liked The Force Awakens when it was new I but hate it now.

I’ve always been pretty neutral about Rogue One.

I thought The Last Jedi was just okay when it was new but I love it now.

Solo is the best thing Star Wars has done since at least The Empire Strikes Back, and maybe even since A New Hope (yes, I’m serious!).

I don’t like The Rise of Skywalker as much as I used to but I don’t hate it either.

I loved Mando season 1 but thought season 2 was just okay. Still looking forward to season 3, though!

The Boba show ended up being my least favorite thing in all of canon Star Wars (so far, at least).

Kenobi is good for the most part but I wish it was a movie instead of a show.

I like all the animated stuff.

So I’m still fine with Disney SW for the most part, but it’s definitely not perfect.

Edited by rocknroll41

I thought TFA was a nice re introduction to Star Wars and was an enjoyable movie. It was just a rehash but it's understandable as it was the re introduction. 

The Last Jedi is probably the most compelling of the new trilogy, the only one that actually had any meaning in it, it's definitely my favourite of the three. You can tell Rian Johnson was trying to break away and do something different, there were clearly still Disney mandates that got in the way though as it still feels confined.

Also a lot of complaints with the film (many of which I really don't think are valid if you actually analyse them) have been directed towards Rian, when it was actually JJ who set it up the way it was in TFA, and saddled Rian with continuing it. 

I think it's a real shame it seems he is not getting to start his trilogy, as I'd have loved to have seen what he could do with a clean slate. 

The Rise Of Skywalker is a train wreck and is probably the laziest and most cynical, pandering conclusion to a series of movies I have ever seen. 

I've enjoyed Mando generally but I'm rather concerned about where it's going seeing as it's just rotating around in a circle as we left it at the end of Book Of Boba Fett. 

I enjoyed Boba when I first started watching it but as it went on I kinda felt like they just made it for the sake of making it and didn't actually have anything exciting to do with it. An enjoyable show but when it ended I was just like "well that's a thing that exists". 

Enjoying Obi Wan so far (I find most of the hate to just be Star Wars fans not wanting to like Star Wars as usual). I hope they're able to pack a lot into the last two episodes though as it seems like it's just getting started. 

Edited by Jw224

5 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I thought TFA was a nice re introduction to Star Wars and was an enjoyable movie. It was just a rehash but it's understandable as it was the re introduction. 

The Last Jedi is probably the most compelling of the new trilogy, the only one that actually had any meaning in it, it's definitely my favourite of the three. You can tell Rian Johnson was trying to break away and do something different, there were clearly still Disney mandates that got in the way though as it still feels confined.

Also a lot of complaints with the film (many of which I really don't think are valid if you actually analyse them) have been directed towards Rian, when it was actually JJ who set it up the way it was in TFA, and saddled Rian with continuing it. 

I think it's a real shame it seems he is not getting to start his trilogy, as I'd have loved to have seen what he could do with a clean slate. 

The Rise Of Skywalker is a train wreck and is probably the laziest and most cynical, pandering conclusion to a series of movies I have ever seen. 

I've enjoyed Mando generally but I'm rather concerned about where it's going seeing as it's just rotating around in a circle as we left it at the end of Book Of Boba Fett. 

I enjoyed Boba when I first started watching it but as it went on I kinda felt like they just made it for the sake of making it and didn't actually have anything exciting to do with it. An enjoyable show but when it ended I was just like "well that's a thing that exists". 

Enjoying Obi Wan so far (I find most of the hate to just be Star Wars fans not wanting to like Star Wars as usual). I hope they're able to pack a lot into the last two episodes though as it seems like it's just getting started. 

The excuse that TFA needed to be a rehash in order for the subsequent two films to tell a new story is total bullshit. How can you tell a new story when you’ve now set things up to just tell the old story again?

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The excuse that TFA needed to be a rehash in order for the subsequent two films to tell a new story is total bullshit. How can you tell a new story when you’ve now set things up to just tell the old story again?

Eh, I wasn't claiming it needed to be a rehash at all, or even that I wanted it to be. Not really sure where you got that from. I just understand why they did it. 

Edited by Jw224

Episode V was great, I can't do much to complain about it at all. Loved Reva's characterization, and all of the backstory that worked into this episode was fantastic. 

Since everyone else is ranking the Disney SW material...

The Force Awakens - 6.5/10: It's biggest flaw is that it's too close of a rehash of ANH to be comfortable. It looks phenomenal (In all honesty, everything from Disney has looked great at the very least), and probably has the best dialogue of any of the Disney films so far, but especially in hindsight the familiarity aspect is just too much IMO. If the sequels had really gone on to to their own thing, I'd have accepted the stage that TFA set more, but as it is it just falls a bit flat. That said there's some really great scenes that pull on the nostalgia heartstrings; Han and Chewie boarding the Falcon, Han and Leia reuniting, etc. 

Rogue One - 9.5/10: Honestly as close to perfect as I can award a Star Wars film. It does everything right IMO - it's gritty, it looks like Star Wars, it's not shy about being dark, and I think the characterization is handled really well. I know a lot of people complain about characters being underdeveloped, but I think for what amounts to being a war film in the Star Wars universe, it's perfect - the characters aren't super soldiers or space wizards or anything, they're absolute nobodies, foot soldiers who managed to do the impossible. Their actions have great implications but they as characters do not. This one ticks all the boxes for me.

The Last Jedi - 8.5/10: My most controversial ranking here I'm sure, but I am a staunch defender of this film. I love that Johnson took risks, tried to advance the trilogy away from what Abrams set up in TFA, and I think for the most part it worked really well. The Canto Bight sequence is a mess, but that's my only real problem with the film. I'm fully behind how Luke is portrayed - people like to complain about him in TLJ, but his characterization is not that radically different from Obi-Wan in ANH or Kenobi for example. It's a shame this film didn't lead to bigger and better things, but I can't hold Johnson accountable for that. 

Solo - 7.5/10: It's fun. It's really fun, and that counts for something. It's probably the easiest SW film to just completely unplug and watch in a vacuum. The casting was perfect here; Glover was the MVP, but Harrelson and Clarke were great too, and Ehmenrich was a lot better as Han than I expected. Not much else I can say about this one.

The Rise Of Skywalker - 5/10: Hands down the worst thing Disney has churned out. It is about the most unsatisfying conclusion to the biggest franchise in film history that I could imagine. Somehow...Palpatine returned. And it doesn't get any better from there. It's not as painful on an individual level as AOTC, but in context it's so much more disappointing. About the only things handled well I thought were the scene between Kylo and Han, and Leia's sendoff. Other than that...what a mess. 

The Mandolorian S1 - 8.5/10: As with many TV shows, it took me a couple episodes to really grab me. I like the very episodic nature of S1 compared to S2, you might not like every episode, but when they're all fairly self-contained it's not such a big deal to have one that doesn't grab you as much. The episodic nature is perfect for a bounty hunter show though, and while I liked S2 better, there's a part of me that wishes we could've had more episodic Mando before it really dove into the lore and big picture plot. 

The Mandolorian S2 - 9/10: It set the tone for where the show was heading, and I like where it's heading. We got some phenomenal action set pieces in this season; the Krayt Dragon battle, Ashoka's duel, the video game-esque waves and waves of enemies attacking Mando and Boba, and the climax of the season finale. I also have no shame in admitting how emotional I got in the final ten minutes of the season. Episode 2 with the frog lady lost the momentum a bit, but I really can't complain about anything here. 

The Book Of Boba Fest - 7.5/10: Much like Solo, it's just fun. The best description I've seen of BOBF is it's like Favreau and Filloni were playing with their Star Wars action figures while writing the series - it is an eight year old's dream scenario. Boba gunning down biker gangs, facing off against the Sarlac in Slave I, and riding a goddamn Rancor. Pure insanity, in the best way. As I said in my last post, I really didn't understand the need to turn it into Mando S2.5.

Obi-Wan is coming in around 8/10 for me so far. We'll see how they stick the landing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I just watched the Kenobi finale… I’ve been a Star Wars fan for over 20 years, and I seriously think that may have just been one of the best Star Wars things I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s not perfect, but the good outweighs the bad for me by far.

Holy sh1t that finale was amazing. Top notch Star Wars material. Loved it. Wow. 

• Like 1

The Vader - Kenobi duel was fantastic.

It was everything the duel in Revenge of the Sith should have been.  No over the top choreography (ie flips) and no cheesy, throw away dialogue.  People still claim that Sith was a decent film partly because of that duel.  I hope this one opens people’s eyes as to why it doesn’t deserve the praise it does (or did).

That said, the series as a whole didn’t do much in terms of closing any plot holes. In fact I feel it created more problems than solved in terms of continuity.  There’s a chance they do another Kenobi series so perhaps these issues will be resolved at a later time.

I’d give the entire series a 7 out of 10, with the last episode getting a 9.5. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, downzy said:

The Vader - Kenobi duel was fantastic.

It was everything the duel in Revenge of the Sith should have been.  No over the top choreography (ie flips) and no cheesy, throw away dialogue.  People still claim that Sith was a decent film partly because of that duel.  I hope this one opens people’s eyes as to why it doesn’t deserve the praise it does (or did).

That said, the series as a whole didn’t do much in terms of closing any plot holes. In fact I feel it created more problems than solved in terms of continuity.  There’s a chance they do another Kenobi series so perhaps these issues will be resolved at a later time.

I’d give the entire series a 7 out of 10, with the last episode getting a 9.5. 

I agree on the series as a whole not being the strongest thing Disney put out, and it did create a few plot holes, but I think it explained and added a lot to the Vader x Obi Wan relationship of the original trilogy. This and Rogue One make A New Hope feel even more special.

22 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I agree on the series as a whole not being the strongest thing Disney put out, and it did create a few plot holes, but I think it explained and added a lot to the Vader x Obi Wan relationship of the original trilogy. This and Rogue One make A New Hope feel even more special.

I guess maybe Vader’s intentions, but it still makes little sense that the Empire as a whole, particular the Grand Inquisitor, stops looking for Kenobi. Maybe there is no fix for one of the main characters in the entire series changing only his first name as a means to hide his identity and presence on the same planet Anakin originally called home. 

It also makes little sense that it took Vader a decade plus to figure out his kids are still alive (one of which still uses his last name for, um, reasons).  The force is supposedly so strong with Luke and Leia but evidently not strong enough for Vader to feel it out.

Personally, the more I watch Star Wars the less I like it. Very of it makes sense or is any way consistent.  I loved A New Hope as a kid almost forty years ago but I can’t get through it now.  The concepts are cool and the universe George builds is astounding, but the execution and forethought are abysmal when one considers how additional entries have done more to hurt the overall narrative than help. It’s almost as if Lucas decided he really didn’t care what he did in the original trilogy for the sake of continuity; similar with Disney and their output.  It feels like there’s more effort to create something new that’s not all that tethered with what came before (or after).

My wish is that at some point they start over.  Lock in actors for a six to nine movie story line and retell the story of the Skywalkers that makes sense.  The prequels were so badly botched that they need a complete redo. Have the original trilogy look like it’s not set in the 1970s.  Pull from the EU for the post original trilogy rather than have each director pull the story into different directions.  There’s so much potential to do the entire story properly. 

• Like 1