STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

11 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Why elitist?? There are thousands of force users. Not just the Skywalkers. That much was clear. It's just the Skywalkers that brought the Jedi house down and tried to build it up again.

Well, I'm not sure I would agree that it was exactly clear there were thousands of force users in the original trilogy, but the fact remains the focus is on Luke being the chosen one who will bring balance to the force.  It's singularly focused on how special Luke, and later, the Skywalker family, are to the saga and mythos of The Force.  It's part of the reason how and why Empire works so well.  The first two films invest a lot of the audience's attention and anticipation of Luke's centrality to the demise of the Empire and the salvation of the Rebellion.  If the force was treated as a more equalitarian property there would be less concern for Luke and the overall story.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 8:28 PM, WayTooManyOstriches said:

Episode 9 was basically JJ retconning what Rian did in Episode 8 so he could give his preferred follow up

Lol… what? :lol:

It was actually Rian completely disregarding everything set up in Episode 7, so JJ steered his original story back on course, to finish the trilogy.

6 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Lol… what? :lol:

It was actually Rian completely disregarding everything set up in Episode 7, so JJ steered his original story back on course, to finish the trilogy.

TFA was all mystery boxes that were purposefully designed so that the answers in the two sequels could be any numbers of things. Rian didn’t retcon shit.

Im sorry, but anyone who still believes in the “Rian derailed JJ’s story” narrative now in 2022, with the amount of hindsight that we have, is a fuckin idiot beyond saving. Even if JJ did have an idea of where he wanted things to go, he should’ve made those directions more clear from the start in TFA instead of turning everything into a mystery box.

JJ was too scared to answer all the tough questions right from the start; Where does our new protagonist come from? Who even is the new protagonist (Rey or Finn)? Why did Luke “blame himself and walk away from everything,” as Han says it? Why is everything repeating? These are things that the first installment should’ve been brave enough to answer right away. Even if you know you’re getting two sequels, the first installment should stand on its own, cause that’s how you make your foundation “solid.” JJ only has himself to blame for that.

That said, TLJ is not perfect either (most of the dialogue is shit, frankly).

I’ve actually gotten to the point where I’ve decided to never watch new Star Wars content ever again, cause it’s clear that I’ll never agree with the majority on anything anymore. So no Mando Season 3 for me, or anything else. I’m not even gonna go see the new movies (whenever those will be). Just not worth it anymore.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’ve actually gotten to the point where I’ve decided to never watch new Star Wars content ever again, cause it’s clear that I’ll never agree with the majority on anything anymore. So no Mando Season 3 for me, or anything else. I’m not even gonna go see the new movies (whenever those will be). Just not worth it anymore.

not judging or anything, but seems a bit extreme. I mean... you seem to like the Star Wars universe. Do you have to agree with others on shit or even discuss it to enjoy future SW content?  SW fans especially can't seem to agree on anything and besides, is agreeing on shit the goal here? sounds boring.

anyway, I think Rian is a very talented director but I'm convinced that Disney didn't find the right director for a good main modern SW movie, I mean good as in as good as something approaching the quality of Mando/Andor or the the first two films. My guess is the quality is not the first priority. The scale is too big and it's like a messy script after messy script. 

having said that, the universe is so rich and enticing that I think I'll always want to watch a live action SW film or tv show.

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not judging or anything, but seems a bit extreme. I mean... you seem to like the Star Wars universe. Do you have to agree with others on shit or even discuss it to enjoy future SW content?  SW fans especially can't seem to agree on anything and besides, is agreeing on shit the goal here? sounds boring.

anyway, I think Rian is a very talented director but I'm convinced that Disney didn't find the right director for a good main modern SW movie, I mean good as in as good as something approaching the quality of Mando/Andor or the the first two films. My guess is the quality is not the first priority. The scale is too big and it's like a messy script after messy script. 

having said that, the universe is so rich and enticing that I think I'll always want to watch a live action SW film or tv show.

See, right there you just pinpointed exactly why I’m done with Star Wars. You just listed Andor as an example of what the whole franchise should strive to be, but what made Andor work was that it was the exception, not the norm.

I’m one of those weirdos that thinks Star Wars should always be for kids, first and foremost, which Andor is the complete antithesis of. That’s fine in small doses, mind you, but now anything that comes out is just gonna get unfairly compared to Andor.

“Why isn’t this gritty like Andor?”

”Andor was gritty! Why couldn’t this be gritty too?”

Id rather not go down that rabbit hole…

Edited by rocknroll41

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

See, right there you just pinpointed exactly why I’m done with Star Wars. You just listed Andor as an example of what the whole franchise should strive to be, but what made Andor work was that it was the exception, not the norm.

I’m one of those weirdos that thinks Star Wars should always be for kids, first and foremost, which Andor is the complete antithesis of. That’s fine in small doses, mind you, but now anything that comes out is just gonna get unfairly compared to Andor.

“Why isn’t this gritty like Andor?”

”Andor was gritty! Why couldn’t this be gritty too?”

Id rather not go down that rabbit hole…

hey... whatever works for you, if it's more frustrating than it's fun, then it defeats the purpose of keeping watching SW content but just to clarify: I personally believe that SW can be many things and I've only mentioned Andor cause it was quality shit imo, I don't want every future live action film or tv show in the SW universe to be gritty or whatever, but for me at least, it showed the potential of the SW universe, of how diverse it can be. 

the reason the tv shows worked better for me as a SW fan, is that the medium gave room for characters for me to like them more. In Mando you get Pedro Pascal, which like many other people, I like in almost everything he does and it's not as serious as Andor was. Loved that direction as well.

but characters like Didra Meero (played by Denise Gough) I thought were outstanding and the more serious tone and themes also worked for me really well.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Star Wars fans care about stuff they've already seen before too much for stuff to actually change.

but stuff is changing, isn't it? at least in the tv show medium? all I know is that it's been years since I've enjoyed live action SW content as much as I've enjoyed Mando and Andor. 

I always enjoy what I consider the very flawed films since the originals, but I feel like your post is more true when it comes to the films. Rogue One was pretty good as well.

I think they have much more freedom in the tv show medium and also, Star Wars fans are such fanatics cause the films are so iconic so it's like a double edged sword and with Disney probably wanting to give the fans what they want as it's the easiest way to make the most money so they take less risks with the big money makers which are the main films.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but stuff is changing, isn't it? at least in the tv show medium? all I know is that it's been years since I've enjoyed live action SW content as much as I've enjoyed Mando and Andor. 

I always enjoy what I consider the very flawed films since the originals, but I feel like your post is more true when it comes to the films. Rogue One was pretty good as well.

I think they have much more freedom in the tv show medium and also, Star Wars fans are such fanatics cause the films are so iconic so it's like a double edged sword and with Disney probably wanting to give the fans what they want as it's the easiest way to make the most money so they take less risks with the big money makers which are the main films.

Oh yeah, I agree what I said definitely applies to the films more than the series. They still do rely mostly on showing stuff that has already been shown before, though. It seems to that SW fans are very resistant to change and mostly like being shown things that are familiar, or retreads of the same story. 

Hoping the next films will be more of a departure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Hoping the next films will be more of a departure. 

that would be very welcomed by me and if not, I would be happy with a script that is not a total rehash or a complete mess when it comes to the main films. I'm sure a great Star Wars movie that is not a rehash could be created and still be a success. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Star Wars fans care about stuff they've already seen before too much for stuff to actually change.

Which is why at this point I’d rather just keep rewatching the shit we already have, rather than anything new (even though a report just came out confirming that they’re gonna announce a new movie or two in April).

Edited by rocknroll41

• 1 month later...

For anyone who cares, they just announced three new films today (I’m still not sure if I’m gonna see any of them tho):

DAWN OF THE JEDI

From James Mangold (replacing Taika Waititi)

About the origins of the ancient Jedi

HEIR TO THE EMPIRE

From Dave Filoni

About Mando fighting Thrawn (with deepfake versions of Luke, Han and Leia rumored to appear)

NEW JEDI ORDER

From the creator of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (yes, I’m serious)

Set 15 years after Rise Of Skywalker, with Daisy Ridley returning 

• Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

So I decided to end my Star Wars “hiatus” and binged thru the rest of bad batch season 2 and all of Mando season 3 this weekend. Both were good, but not perfect.

I've enjoyed Mando so far. Nice and simple show, doesn't get too deep and serious, an easy enjoyable watch. 

The movies you mentioned, not bothered about the New Jedi Order, however I'm hoping Dawn of the Jedi is so far removed from everything it'll be good. Heir to the Empire I'll watch as invested myself in Mando and will do the same with Ashoka, but if the later is trash then I'll skip it. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 8:54 AM, rocknroll41 said:

TFA was all mystery boxes that were purposefully designed so that the answers in the two sequels could be any numbers of things. Rian didn’t retcon shit.

Im sorry, but anyone who still believes in the “Rian derailed JJ’s story” narrative now in 2022, with the amount of hindsight that we have, is a fuckin idiot beyond saving. Even if JJ did have an idea of where he wanted things to go, he should’ve made those directions more clear from the start in TFA instead of turning everything into a mystery box.

JJ was too scared to answer all the tough questions right from the start; Where does our new protagonist come from? Who even is the new protagonist (Rey or Finn)? Why did Luke “blame himself and walk away from everything,” as Han says it? Why is everything repeating? These are things that the first installment should’ve been brave enough to answer right away. Even if you know you’re getting two sequels, the first installment should stand on its own, cause that’s how you make your foundation “solid.” JJ only has himself to blame for that.

That said, TLJ is not perfect either (most of the dialogue is shit, frankly).

If TLJ derailed JJ’s story, maybe they should have just had him do the entire trilogy instead of choosing three different people (before firing Trevorrow and rehiring JJ).

I hated TLJ when it came out, but after TROS, I realized TLJ wasn’t that bad. 🤣

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

52 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

If TLJ derailed JJ’s story, maybe they should have just had him do the entire trilogy instead of choosing three different people (before firing Trevorrow and rehiring JJ).

I hated TLJ when it came out, but after TROS, I realized TLJ wasn’t that bad. 🤣

Tbf, each installment of the original trilogy was also directed by a different person, but I suppose Lucas (and to a lesser extent, Larry Kasdan) was still the “mastermind” behind it all. The only connective tissue the three new movies had was Kathy Kennedy, and while I don’t hate her as much as most people do, she’s not a director or writer. She’s just a producer. That only goes so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Cosmo said:

The latest episode of Ahsoka was amazing. So far, it's been the best of the Disney+ series, I think.

I’m taking a break from the show now, but I’ve heard good things about the newest episode. I enjoyed the first three episodes, for the most part.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cosmo said:

The latest episode of Ahsoka was amazing. So far, it's been the best of the Disney+ series, I think.

I'm waiting for them all to come out, then I'll binge them.

So far my favorite series is Obi-Wan. Then Mando (mostly season 2)

Boba Fett was fun, I found Andor to be boring, mostly. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm waiting for them all to come out, then I'll binge them.

So far my favorite series is Obi-Wan. Then Mando (mostly season 2)

Boba Fett was fun, I found Andor to be boring, mostly. 

Yeah my favourite so far was Obi-Wan, then Mando season 2. I gave up on Andor halfway through and didn't like Book of Boba Fett.

• Like 2