STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

On 11/12/2022 at 4:25 AM, Jw224 said:

Was excited for Rian's trilogy, I think he'd be able to make it great if didn't need to follow on from JJ's decisions. A shame it doesn't seem to be happening. I'm agreed that TLJ was the best one and TROS was a cynical, rushed eye roll inducing conclusion. 

If anything, I think TLJ is the best looking modern Star Wars movie. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

15 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Only it wasn’t though.

Terrible acting, terrible dialogue, terrible plot, terrible gags. Just a shit movie. 

He completely disregarded everything set up in the previous movie. The only reason JJ did what he did in the finale was because he had no other option to wrap up what was supposed to be a trilogy.

I don’t know how anyone who truly loves Star Wars can say anything good about his movie. 

I’ve talked about TLJ on here a lot. Basically, I’m a big SW fan and It’s one of my favorite SW films. It’s a total mess, but I love the high points and production values. For all of its flaws, it felt like an actual movie with a creative direction whereas IX felt like a committee made disaster imo

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Haven't seen Kenobi yet, worth it or is it something I'll hate? I liked the trailer.

I really like Andor. (prequel to Rogue One if you didn't already know) Kenobi was alright, some very cool scenes but a lot of the time it kinda drags imo. Overall. I didn't think it was a waste of time to watch it. (3/5)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Wasn't even aware of Andor. Okay, I'll check them out.

On a completely unrelated note, heard of this? I've got my eye on it.

I like Brendan. I think he's a good guy and I hope we are about to see his comeback.

of course. Can't wait.

6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Rogue One is good.

The Mandalorian was pretty good.

The videogame Jedi Fallen Order is good.

Haven't seen Kenobi yet, worth it or is it something I'll hate? I liked the trailer.

Everything else they've done is a meritless disgrace. That woke comic they did is lame as fuck.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Taika's project but I dunno I'm getting tired of him tbh.

If I was overseeing Star Wars:

1. Kathleen Kennedy etc? Get the fuck out of this building right now, you're all fired. Dave Filoni is now President of Lucasfilm.

2. Next, we are retconning the sequel trilogy - from now on they never happened - We are replacing them with the George Lucas' sequel trilogy. Fulfill his vision and focus on Mark Hamill/Luke Skywalker and make the Jar Jar Sith fan theory canon.

3. Star Wars 1313 is being revived.

4. Oldest Goat is going to make a R18 Darkside trilogy.

Seriously, Walt must be spinning in his cryotube due to what Disney has become.

They actually used a lot of George Lucas's ideas he gave Disney in the sequel trilogy. I always see people saying they wanted George to do it but he literally gave them a lot of the ideas that people ended up hating. (Luke being in exile, female character trying to find him etc)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 5:49 AM, Rovim said:

idk...idk. Don't think Disney managed to make a single good Star Wars Movie. I like some parts from each film, but it doesn't come together for me, just doesn't. 

I couldn't agree more.

The sequels were entertaining, but far from 1-6 as quality Star Wars content. I wish Disney would have used George's outlies for those three films, then went off and did their own thing. Because then at least the 9 part saga would of been whole, and from the vision of the creator instead of 2/3 of his story, and the rest some tacky shit with great moments throughout with no sensible or cohesive story. 

Rogue One was fun, if you can make it past the first half of the movie. By far, it had the best Star Wars space battle IMO, that made up for any shortcoming that movie had, and the final two surprises at the end as well. 

My girlfriend said Tarkin looked like he was from The Polar Express in Rogue One. :D (I thought he looked pretty good)

On 11/16/2022 at 11:47 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Some random things like "Luke being in exile" and "female character trying to find him" is very, very vague and not remotely close to following his scripts/plot to the letter. George said he showed them finished scripts and they've rejected them, so I'll take his word for it.

I believe George provided outlines, not full scripts. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Rian Johnson said today that his Star Wars trilogy might get turned into a tv show now.

That would be a really good compromise, actually. Still doubt they will let him do one, but I guess if he’s still talking about it…

Then again, that could turn into him just directing an episode or two of something

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 11:44 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Rian Johnson said today that his Star Wars trilogy might get turned into a tv show now.

I'd be up for watching it if it's good

Hopefully something original. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Apparently some of the future shows like Ahsoka and Skeleton Crew are gonna introduce a place called “the new beyond” (possibly a new galaxy) where Jedi and Sith don’t exist and the force is used more like magic.

Meh

just give me Andor 2

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Apparently some of the future shows like Ahsoka and Skeleton Crew are gonna introduce a place called “the new beyond” (possibly a new galaxy) where Jedi and Sith don’t exist and the force is used more like magic.

Weird. As the force is essentially magic unless you're a avid viewer of SW. 

No Jedi and Sith makes sense, but surely the dark side still corrupts - which essentially means the same stories but without the 'religions' vibe. 

• 1 month later...

As I get older, the less inclined I am to give Lucas much credit outside of some really cool ideas and concepts, along with shepherding some fantastic special effects for their time in the original trilogy.

But outside of those credits, I can’t find much else in Lucas’s contributions to the series. His dialogue has mostly been terrible, only made bearable in parts by edits and contributions by his cast.  Taken as a whole, the first two trilogies are jumbled messes that trip over themselves with unforced errors and plot holes galore.  For me at least, the only film in the first six I can still watch and enjoy to this day is Empire, the film Lucas had the least involvement of the six.  The prequels were an unmitigated disasters that not only failed on their own but somehow hollowed out the original trilogy by virtue of contradicting what they had previously established.

My issue with the last trilogy isn’t with its executions (Lucas’s biggest problem as a film maker), but its lack of narrative direction and misplaced focus.  I thought the point of the trilogies was to tell the story of the Skywalkers.  But the sequel trilogy doesn’t seem all that interested in continuing and culminating that story with an ending that satisfies and makes sense. While I appreciate what TLJ was attempting to do (democratize the force, so to speak), it undercuts why everyone is paying attention. We’re here for the story of Skywalker and what makes them unique and interesting.  To get so far into the overall narrative just to be told no, the Skywalkers aren’t all that special helps to defeat why we’re all still here, paying attention.  It almost felt like the sequel trilogy was meant to serve as a transitional story that moves the audience away from one perspective and towards a more egalitarian angle. For me at least, this doesn’t work. 

I still wouldn’t mind seeing other trilogies developed in the Star Wars universe that explores a less elitist approach to the force (though I request no slow speed chase scenes please) that is set years before or after the the first nine films.  But ultimately what I’d prefer most of all is a complete reboot of the entire series so far, where actors are signed on for nine films and all consistency issues with respect to narrative and aesthetics are sorted out in the planning stage.  Imagine A New Hope reshot where the final sabre duel between Vader and Solo isn’t just two old men fighting as if their feet weren’t glued to the ground and demonstrated some skill (or Anakin doesn’t lose because he doesn’t have the high ground)?

There are just too many oversights and dumb mistakes in the series to allow me to enjoy most of anymore.  The new tv series have at least shown me that something decent and consistent can be made from this universe. Because the films have, with time, proven to be a hot mess.

• Like 1

They really should have had JJ Abrams just do the whole sequel trilogy and wrap things up with the Skywalkers, and then hand it off to Rian Johnson after that.  Their visions for the series were different, which is fine, but Episode 9 was basically JJ retconning what Rian did in Episode 8 so he could give his preferred follow up.  

Star Wars has really suffered by not planning things out in advance, and that goes back to the original trilogy with Lucas mashing characters together.  Leia for instance wasn't originally going to be Luke's sister, but instead of Luke going to find his sister who was a different character in a sequel to Return Of The Jedi, Lucas decided not to make that movie and wrap things up.

And if you haven't already, take a look at Leigh Brackett's original script for The Empire Strikes Back.  I love the movie we got, but it's interesting to see what Lucas decided to change and how different the series could have ended up being.

Edited by WayTooManyOstriches
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, WayTooManyOstriches said:

They really should have had JJ Abrams just do the whole sequel trilogy and wrap things up with the Skywalkers, and then hand it off to Rian Johnson after that.  Their visions for the series were different, which is fine, but Episode 9 was basically JJ retconning what Rian did in Episode 8 so he could give his preferred follow up.  

Agreed.  I thought JJ set things up well with TFA.  A bit of retread, but it benefited from having Han and Chewy on screen and teeing up the mystery of what happened to Luke.  Then TLJ happened and it became apparent there was on one on board that was keeping an eye on the narrative arc for the entire trilogy.  Everyone thought that was Kathleen Kennedy's job, but apparently she felt differently.

Star Wars has really suffered by not planning things out in advance, and that goes back to the original trilogy with Lucas mashing characters together

Agreed.  Though in fairness to Lucas, he wasn't exactly sure if there was going to be trilogy when he made a New Hope.  But things got dicey once ROTJ came to be.  And then the prequels compounded the problem with respect to continuity with the original trilogy.  This is to say nothing about how bad the vision and execution was for the prequels.  The sad part was that a lot of the weaknesses of the prequel were papered over a bit by the over-reliance on CGI.  Now the CGI from that era looks dreadful, and the narrative/execution problems become more stark.  I also felt George erred in hiring known commodities and stars for the prequels.  Other than Ewan McGregor, the casting was not great.  I though the sequel trilogy did a much better job with casting.  

And if you haven't already, take a look at Leigh Brackett's original script for The Empire Strikes Back.  I love the movie we got, but it's interesting to see what Lucas decided to change and how different the series could have ended up being.

I've never heard about this.  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, downzy said:

I still wouldn’t mind seeing other trilogies developed in the Star Wars universe that explores a less elitist approach to the force

Why elitist?? There are thousands of force users. Not just the Skywalkers. That much was clear. It's just the Skywalkers that brought the Jedi house down and tried to build it up again.