Society is about to snap (My crazy experience) at the grocery store

DeadSlash

On 18/04/2020 at 5:47 AM, DieselDaisy said:

The fundamentals of helping customers, ''the customer is always right'', common sense and basic decency should not be cancelled-out because of lockdown-like restrictions. But it is a bonkers time. Somebody told me that they saw two women fighting in a supermarket over a packet of pasta!  

In Australia fighting over toilet paper makes the news,

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 5:18 AM, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah but to be fair that video was clearly taken before the pandemic and is just normal behaviour in Oz. :lol: 

Not sure how fights and bad service at a grocery store signal the end of society. Long before any of this there was almost a riot in France because they had a sale on Nutella. I remember hearing about a fight years ago where someone was shot in a fight over the last piece of chicken. If you want more compelling end of society evidence bring up the Michigan armed protests. 

• Like 1

You acted above and beyond what should be expected of someone in such a situation. She should stay home if reasonable acts freak her out so much.

I don't even wear a mask or gloves when going out. Anyone who cares enough to say anything, shouldn't go out. There are alternatives to going out to get anything, if one must stay home. All the "covid" laws in my area are actually just recommendations, they would never hold up in court despite what my government, police, etc. say. 

Carry on.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:38 PM, DeadSlash said:

This happened like a week ago, thought I'd share, it's pretty surreal.  It goes to show how quickly things can devolve in society.

I went to the supermarket, the main item I needed was applesauce.  My Father just got out of the hospital for a bowel blockage and couldn't eat solids, so he wanted some drinks, farina and applesauce.

I was wearing gloves and an N95 mask.

The store was setup with 1 way isles so you had to go through the store in an "S" pattern.  Most people were obeying the rules, as was I.    

I got to the applesauce isle and part of it was roped off while a girl stocked shelves.  I did the rest of my shopping and saved the applesauce for last.  After coming back, she was still stocking shelves and had a 20-25 foot section roped off, I came down the isle to see if I'd be able to reach the applesauce and saw it was on the other side of the isle, so I had to go around.  As I was walking away, I heard a woman ask if she could grab something from where the girl was working and the girl said "No, come back in 15-20 minutes when I am done."

I went out of the isle circled around (obeying the new one way grocery store traffic laws) and approached the isle from the other side.  The apple sauce was about 3 feet out of reach.  Again, the girl had roped off a 25 foot section of the isle, so the actual applesauce was about 10 feet from her.  She was not wearing a mask. (more on this later) I asked if I could grab applesauce and she said "No, you'll have to wait."  So I asked if she could grab the apple sauce for me and she said "Ha! No I can't get it for you." and her tone is super important here, because she was almost cackling as she said it, the subtext was "I don't work for you!" 

Now, at this point, I'm out of sorts, because my father just got home from the hospital, and I'm honestly in ZERO mood, so I lift the rope take 2 steps beyond it and grab 2 jars of applesauce.  I was not within 10 feet of this girl.  She said "WHAT THE FUCK?" and I said, oh I'm sorry, I thought you said you *wouldn't* grab it for me." and she yells "You fucking piece of shit! You are the reason people are getting infected!"  

In the amount of time this took to transpire, I'm already back on the other side of the rope, and while I never raised my voice, I was super pissed I turned around to look at her, and I pointed at my mask and I said "Yeah, me in gloves wearing an n95 mask, you wearing nothing, and *I'm* the one getting people sick?

At this point, this blonde 16-17ish lily white girl yells "CUNT!" as I am turning away.  As I was walking away, she was talking to someone "Him! That guy, he's out of here! That guy! Ban him! Ban him!"

I did not turn around to see who she was talking to, but I did a full lap around the store waiting (hoping?) for a manager to confront me, nobody did.  I checked out with no incident.

Some postscripts:

1. They had masks for all employees.  Most of them had them although about 1/3 had them around their necks instead of on.  I only know this because  I asked the cashier if the store was going to provide them all with masks. He said they got masks for everyone that day. I asked him if the cashiers were the only ones that had to wear them and he said they were all supposed to, but they hated them because it made it hard to breathe.  So the girl stocking the shelves had protective gear available to her, but chose to close 2/3 of an isle because it was more comfortable. 

2.  In retrospect, I probably could have asked a store manager for the applesauce, and I would have had she been closer than she was, or if I knew she'd lose her shit. 

3.  I worked in retail all through high school and college.  I have empathy, but she was wrong.  She was power tripping her ass off. 

4. Why didn't I report her? This will not track with anyone who isn't religious, but my father had just gotten out of the hospital with a tube in him and such and it wasn't great.  I did a lot of praying, and I felt like if I checked out with zero issues, going to the manager would be vindictive and very unchristian, so I didn't.

It was pretty crazy, this girl looked like a sophomore in high school on the cheerleader squad and she went from 0 to hunger games in 0.1 seconds.  It was a very surreal moment. 

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have been going to the same Walmart for years and luckily I know most of the workers there, so we're all civil and nice to each other.

It's the other shoppers that annoy me. They all had masks on as did the workers and there is a huge plastic petition around the registers. The pharmacies have extral panels of glass between the workers and customers. They are all wearing masks and gloves. My family and I all get our prescriptions from this Walmart so we feel confident they are being careful.

Some of the shoppers now aren't going up and down the aisles like they are supposed to. Some people aren't distancing and talking on their cell phones. This annoys me the most. Can't you even shop without bullshitting on your damn phone.

I think you handled it correctly especially since I know you are stressed about your dad. when my mom went up to Queens to care for her mom going to the supermarket was bad enouch without having to deal with stupid people. Taking care of a loved one is so stressful and considering the shit you had to endure you kept a clear head. Glad you got your applesauce.

It boils down to, she probably hates her job, can't be in school with her friends and is taking it out on you. You are good now to report her, because I probably would have lost my temper and had a talk fight in the aisle. lol

I do hope your dad feels better soon and hope he enjoyed his applesauce.

It seems these days either people are very pleasant to each other or losing it. I used to enjoy grocery shopping. Now I find it a chore that I hate. I wish sometimes I didn't have to eat so I wouldn't have to go there at all. Like I said, I know most of the workers and we chat while standing 6 feet apart and wearing masks.

This is our lives probably from now on and it SUCKS, but I find if we do try to be nicer to each other it makes our chores a lot easier.

And honestly, I doubt you would have been banned from the store. She must have been having the worse day ever, but I bet if she had given you the applesauce it would have made her feel better and I know you too.!

Stay safe!

On 5/13/2020 at 12:11 AM, There'sAHeavenAboveU said:

Not sure how fights and bad service at a grocery store signal the end of society. Long before any of this there was almost a riot in France because they had a sale on Nutella. I remember hearing about a fight years ago where someone was shot in a fight over the last piece of chicken. If you want more compelling end of society evidence bring up the Michigan armed protests. 

I understand it to mean that some people are going back to their primal instincts and we don't want that. lol

But sometimes it seems like some people are acting worse in these times and that won't help any of us.

On 4/20/2020 at 11:18 PM, Sydney Fan said:

So happy this shit happens in other places besides America.

I did see one woman about a month ago in Walmart taking the last 3 toilet paper and I was going to go over the take the one she was struggling to get off the shelf, but since I had a lot at home, (I buy in bulk) and online before this all happened, I let it go.

Now there are signs on the paper aisle limiting the paper products and also by the meat now. I think most people have bought enough toilet paper until the end of time, so no one seems to be hording anymore.

I understand that woman wanting some toilet paper from the other women who seemed to have bought way more than they would have needed.

Damn!

As a key worker myself I get her reaction, even if it was a bit excessive.  Everyone is stressed and scared right now, even moreso those who have to work in public-facing roles right now, and remember she's essentially risking her life for likely minimum wage.  OP you were 100% in the wrong for crossing the barrier designed to keep her safe and should have found an alternative, she was justified in being alarmed but does sound like an overly aggressive reaction.

On a related note, I got yelled at the other day by some old lady for having the audacity to walk on the pavement instead of the middle of the road :lol:  Screaming "TWO METRES APART!!!!   STAY IN THE ROAD!!!!" at me when I must have been at least 10m away from her.  I told her not to be so horrendous to people.

• Like 2