Is it worth buying a ticket for 2021?

I'll be waiting until the first few shows. At least 4 new songs from new album and 1/2 different deep cuts alongside the hits. I feel like for any other band in the world this would go without saying, but for GnR I'm probably being unrealistic. Seeing as the European dates are may/june I'd expect the new album to be out or at least officially imminent. 

I also expect Axl to be in shape. Do I care if Axl is fat and eats pizza all day in his private life? No. But as soon as he goes on tour and sets prices between £100-£170, then I expect to see him in the best possible shape he can be in. He's 58 not 88. He doesn't need a 6pac, but his stage act is running around the stage, bringing energy as he sings. If he's not fit enough to do that then he can't justify the cost. I saw GnR in 2006 an 2010 and his vocal were incredible, he ran everywhere and he was a mean machine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

I'll be waiting until the first few shows. At least 4 new songs from new album and 1/2 different deep cuts alongside the hits. I feel like for any other band in the world this would go without saying, but for GnR I'm probably being unrealistic. Seeing as the European dates are may/june I'd expect the new album to be out or at least officially imminent. 

I also expect Axl to be in shape. Do I care if Axl is fat and eats pizza all day in his private life? No. But as soon as he goes on tour and sets prices between £100-£170, then I expect to see him in the best possible shape he can be in. He's 58 not 88. He doesn't need a 6pac, but his stage act is running around the stage, bringing energy as he sings. If he's not fit enough to do that then he can't justify the cost. I saw GnR in 2006 an 2010 and his vocal were incredible, he ran everywhere and he was a mean machine. 

Exactly he can look however he wants but if he can't deliver vocally then  he's not worth the price of the ticket and he's letting down the rest if the band. At his age it is difficult to get into shape unless you really take it seriously, but he could easily do it... he won't though the last of the skinny Axl was 2007, if he came back in 2021 with the braids and open shirt I'll eat Slash's leather top hat! 

Again, if he sounds good there's nothing to criticize, he's not a model! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Exactly he can look however he wants but if he can't deliver vocally then  he's not worth the price of the ticket and he's letting down the rest if the band. At his age it is difficult to get into shape unless you really take it seriously, but he could easily do it... he won't though the last of the skinny Axl was 2007, if he came back in 2021 with the braids and open shirt I'll eat Slash's leather top hat! 

Again, if he sounds good there's nothing to criticize, he's not a model! 

He looked in decent shape in 2010 and sang like a beast. You could start to see the double chin and belly more prominently in the 2012 tour and his voice was much worse, as was his stage activity. Then again he didn't look in great shape in 2016, but he sounded better than 2011-2014. But still nowhere near as good as 2006 or 2010. 

Agreed, he doesn't need to look like a model for me, I'm sure he gets laid more than enough. But if his weight negatively effects his vocal and his stage performance, then he aint getting any of my money!

I think venues need a plan B for next year. 

A reduced crowd with barriers to seperate people. If a 60,000 stadium are only allowed 25-30,000 in smaller pockets wearing masks that's better than nothing. Bands would have to be prepared to take a pay cut. That might be a problem!

We can't have another year like this. Small bands will be fuct. Thousands of people lose their jobs. It may mean you can't go to every gig you want to, if you have health issues you need to stay away and possibly self isolate afterwards. We need something 

• Like 2

There are so many layers involved and lots of moving parts before you even reach the artists themselves in this case GNR.

Promotors, venues, industry related business as sound, lighting, staging, transportation etc may not be able to survive financially to supply a service as a business. 

Even employee's associated with the artists themselves may not be able to survive as all involved will feel the affects of the financial crisis. 

The process starts at the bottom and works its way to the top. 

If a promotor can no longer supply a service, to a booking agent, than a booking agent cannot secure a show for their client an artist. The promotor cannot supply a service to a venue, so the venue cannot hold an event. If the venue cannot hold an event, than that will affect, venue employees, merchandise sellers, suppliers of sound, staging, transportation, etc. 

That ultimately affects the artists and the people they employ. 

The fans are than impacted via a tour not happening, and the ability to see their favourite artist aka GNR. 

There is more to it, than how Axl looks or sounds. 

The music industry interms of live touring will never be the same for many different reasons. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

Big issue is international travel. If people in the band or working for the band have to quarantine on arrival to whatever country the gig is, then quarantine again in the next country, then quarantine on return to the States... or even if there is the risk of quarantine, then tours cannot happen. Regardless of your personal health views on whether you would / wouldn't attend, and we've seen some very aggressive views here, commercially and logistically tours need to function seamlessly and audiences need to be allowed to be large, and all these things are very uncertain for 2021 at the moment.

• Like 2