BUMBLEFOOT Looks Back On His Time With GUNS N' ROSES: 'I Was Inexperienced At Being A Hired Gun In A Stadium Band'

16 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I've watched a few gigs from 2006 and 2010 and they were pretty good I thought. But I don't think they are comparable with the '87-'93 era, primarily because they mostly played a set comprised of the old band's material (certainly in 2006). The lack of material released really makes any comparison largely irrelevant. 

I never saw nu-GNR. I was supposed to see them 3 times around 2000 to 2002 in Glasgow. And each time it was cancelled. So I gave up on them then really.

The media were on top of the band during the nu-Guns era because Axl gave them EVERY reason to be. Cancelling tour after tour, turning up late, subpar performances, ridiculous delays to the album, a revolving door of musicians, and his general lack of engagement. 

They're not comparable with the 87-93 era not because of new songs or material but because these were two entirely different bands from two entirely different times, period. 

I do agree with your last paragraph, though. 

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

They're not comparable with the 87-93 era not because of new songs or material but because these were two entirely different bands from two entirely different times, period. 

Well okay Axl allowed the comparison by insisting on using the name and continuing to play a set mainly made up of old songs. Don't want the comparison? Don't play so many of the old songs and use the name. Simples! The way this has panned out it is difficult to separate.

35 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Well okay Axl allowed the comparison by insisting on using the name and continuing to play a set mainly made up of old songs. Don't want the comparison? Don't play so many of the old songs and use the name. Simples! The way this has panned out it is difficult to separate.

I know, but this is the version for casuals and journalists. We know better, eh? 

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

That's down to a few things but basically GNR had burnt all their goodwill everywhere besides SA. They were doing well(ish) in EU and they were solid (ish) in Asia/Australia but it was a matter of time. America on the other hand was a disaster zone, they just couldn't generate any positive momentum - 90s / the split with Slash, huge wait for the record, the record being received fairly lukewarm, the Rio disaster before they kicked off the US run... add that all together and you've got the answer to why GNR were in the rough. The wheels were even coming off in Europe with Reading/Dublin making worldwide news.

Only 1 person to blame too! ...had Axl been singing his ass off on that RIO broadcast / the benefit show I think the sales would have been healthier, but still not sell outs. Probably still a few 2 for 1 offers here and there.

Nothing new, but It's interesting when you list out the bumps in the road historically😄

I think the other factor that has to be mentioned is simply boredom. They had toured CD to death and the number of people willing to buy tickets was eroding naturally as a result of there being no forward motion. A mistake I think they're repeating right now. 

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

I never saw nu-GNR. I was supposed to see them 3 times around 2000 to 2002 in Glasgow. And each time it was cancelled. So I gave up on them then really.

That was a total fiasco! I had tickets to that tour too- in the 'pre internet' age it was nearly impossible to keep track of what was happening with those 'comeback' shows. 

As I recall there were all sorts of bizaare reasons flying around as to why they kept getting cancelled (then eventually never happened) including that Axl's weave had got infected and that the tour had been booked and Axl had no knowledge of it until he saw a poster! 

The whole tour ended up becoming one night in London (where two were originally scheduled) so I always thought that ticket sales were the issue more than anything else. 

Those were weird times to be a fan....but also exciting too, due to the mystery and intrigue. 

Edited by allwaystired

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

That was a total fiasco! I had tickets to that tour too- in the 'pre internet' age it was nearly impossible to keep track of what was happening with those 'comeback' shows. 

As I recall there were all sorts of bizaare reasons flying around as to why they kept getting cancelled (then eventually never happened) including that Axl's weave had got infected and that the tour had been booked and Axl had no knowledge of it until he saw a poster! 

The whole tour ended up becoming one night in London (where two were originally scheduled) so I always thought that ticket sales were the issue more than anything else. 

Those were weird times to be a fan....but also exciting too, due to the mystery and intrigue. 

Oh man it was ridiculous, the whole bloody thing! He really made a spectacular balls up of the whole delivery of that band and album. I remember the 2002 VMAs happening, the realisation that Axl had braids, had clearly had some work done, and worse still was dressed as a wigga (am I even allowed to say that word now... <cancelled>). It was awful. And then there was the performance (though I understand on good authority that the rehearsal tapes rival Queen as the greatest performance of all time!) It would be almost 5 years before I even checked in again to see what was happening. It was by then hilarious that ChiDem was still unreleased!

50 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Oh man it was ridiculous, the whole bloody thing! He really made a spectacular balls up of the whole delivery of that band and album. I remember the 2002 VMAs happening, the realisation that Axl had braids, had clearly had some work done, and worse still was dressed as a wigga (am I even allowed to say that word now... <cancelled>). It was awful. And then there was the performance (though I understand on good authority that the rehearsal tapes rival Queen as the greatest performance of all time!) It would be almost 5 years before I even checked in again to see what was happening. It was by then hilarious that ChiDem was still unreleased!

You see, I loved all that though, genuinely! I was so so excited (I did have reservations about the hair though.....) because they were back and they had moved on. It was absolutely what I wanted really.....but obviously many others disagreed! 

51 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You see, I loved all that though, genuinely! I was so so excited (I did have reservations about the hair though.....) because they were back and they had moved on. It was absolutely what I wanted really.....but obviously many others disagreed! 

I was initially really keen to hear the new line-up. I had no issues with changes (I love Dio-era Sabbath, Coverdale-era Purple for example) and thought Guns would be the same (i.e. actually release new music and carry on... how fucking wrong was I!) I remember reading about the new band back in 1998 or thereabouts and boom, following year Oh My God arrived. I enjoyed that track a lot and was keen to see/hear more. But then shit got weird... 3 guitarists, and 1 of them wae an upside doon KFC bucket on his noggin! The Rock In Rio gig was odd as nobody had seen Axl in years. He kinda looked the same but also kinda not. But nothing could've prepared me for the 2002 VMAs and the braids! Hahaha! 

1 hour ago, BangoSkank said:

Man, imagine if Axl went solo and had hired Bucket or Bumble to be in that band. We might be in a totally different place.

Axl using the name "Guns N Roses" isn't the problem. Axl's complete inability to release music is. 

9 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think the other factor that has to be mentioned is simply boredom. They had toured CD to death and the number of people willing to buy tickets was eroding naturally as a result of there being no forward motion. A mistake I think they're repeating right now. 

Yeah, Axl hss this idea of "waiting forbthe right time, setting the stage" but the right time was 2012, and now the right time was probably the beginning of 2018 for new material. Absolutely no need to tour into the ground. I just don't know how anyone would come to that decision... we're not in the music business, we're basically fantasy bookers and we called it exactly with a steady decline in ability to sell big venues. The smart move was always, tour and concrete the line up - that's 2yrs max on the road, and then hit the studio and return quickly capitalizing on the reunion excitement. At this rate 2022 is even looking unlikeky as a new album year... I just don't think they have a clue about their perception, I think.they believe they are the pinacle of luve playing, not a nostalgia act and that people are still excited and engaged by the buzz surrounding the 2016 reunion... in ither words they are totally tone deaf.

• Like 1