When did you first learn about Guns N'Roses? :)

I first learned about Guns N'Roses when VH1 was playing a Video Countdown of Greatest Rock And Roll music songs ever and... Sweet Child Of Mine was on it and I liked the song. I remember thinking,"The lead Singer's voice is crystal clear and I can understand every word he is singing! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜€ Boy, I had no idea what I would be getting into with Axl later on when I found out how hard it is to understand what the hell he is singingย a lot of times! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

My local radio stations would ONLY play Sweet Child Of Mine, so I thought Guns N'Roses was a One Hit Wonder and wondered why they weren't a Band with lots of hits with how good SCOM is. I had no idea at the time they were a huge successful band with lots of hits, not just one ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜€

ย 

One day, I was watching Welcome To The Jungle (This was when I still thought Guns N'Roses was a one hit wonder band) and wondering why the WTTJ Singer was ripping off the SCOM Singer and why he was even trying to look like him! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜ Wow! I was like the WTTJ Singer needs his own style, not be imitating the SCOM Singer. ๐Ÿ˜ I went on a Website and called out the WTTJ Singer for ripping off the SCOM Singer and said, "I hope the SCOM Singer sues the WTTG Singer for ripping him off so bad. There's a big difference between paying homage to someone and ripping them off very deeply. This is the latter." Iย  got the reply,"They're the same person, dummy!" I learned something new that day! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Edited by Karice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, darkside259 said:

i thought the same, when i was hearing for first time civil war i thought that they had two singersย 

Speaking about Axl sounding like two different People, I remember hearing Patience on SiriusXM or something like that where you only hear the music and don't see the singers/musicians, and I thought,"Guns N'Roses must have gotten rid of the high pitched singer and replaced him with this deep voiced man. ๐Ÿคฃ" I still am in awe how different Axl's high pitch singing is from his deep pitched singing. I remember hearing It's So Easy and being blown away by how deep he sounds on It's So Easy. I was like,"He sounds like James Hetfield from Metallica! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿคฃ Another longer time Guns N'Roses Fan said something like, "Axl is known for singing both very deep and very high " ๐Ÿ˜€

I was in my finishing years of High School & a fella introduced me to some hard rock & heavy metal music; being very energetic, hyperactive as well as full of anger due to my Narcissistic mother's abuse, I found that the music all resonated with my anger & rebellious attitude & I turned to it as a supportive vice. I found GN'R "You Could Be Mine" & fell in love with the song, remembering my childhood memories of it & took it all from there.

1 hour ago, Screamin' Demon said:

I was in my finishing years of High School & a fella introduced me to some hard rock & heavy metal music; being very energetic, hyperactive as well as full of anger due to my Narcissistic mother's abuse, I found that the music all resonated with my anger & rebellious attitude & I turned to it as a supportive vice. I found GN'R "You Could Be Mine" & fell in love with the song, remembering my childhood memories of it & took it all from there.

According to Guns N'Roses themselves, their Appetite For Destruction Album was meant to be a voice for rebellious Teens! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿคฃ

1 hour ago, Screamin' Demon said:

Oh yeah I can see that; but nothing beats You Could Be Mine to me ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

About You Can Be Mine, there was a Mickey version(very high pitched) vs Rasp version(low high pitch if this makes sense) on YouTube and at one "Mickey version," Axl out of nowhere said,"Ah," in a very high pitched voice that sounded hilarious! ๐Ÿคฃโ˜บ๏ธย A comment said something like,"It's so disappointing when you pay good money to see a Guns N'Roses Show....and the Axl voiceย  Wheel landed on Mickey! ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

On a serious side note, we're lucky Axl can still sing at all with that powerhouse screeching, powerful voice, loud, gutteral, rough voice he sang with as a young guy. Perfect Crime (live) is a perfect example of this. Also Sail Away (STYX cover) is also a perfect example of this. He starts off as so soft, low, and out of nowhere sings with a powerhouse, powerful, loud, gutteral, rough voice. He does something similar in Perfect Crime live. Perfect Crime studio version is hard to sing on it's own but the live version, he is really outdoing himself on the live version.

Edited by Karice

It was 1988. My best friends brother was lead singer in a band and played Appetite for us. Funny story, I made a copy on a 60 minute blank tape. The whole album didn't fit and I went for a long time without knowing Rocket Queen existed. I wore that tape out and bought the actual cassette. It was like a bonus track to me and quickly became one of my favorites.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prejudiced illusions said:

It was 1988. My best friends brother was lead singer in a band and played Appetite for us. Funny story, I made a copy on a 60 minute blank tape. The whole album didn't fit and I went for a long time without knowing Rocket Queen existed. I wore that tape out and bought the actual cassette. It was like a bonus track to me and quickly became one of my favorites.

Ahh. The good old days of copying albums on blank cassettes. โ˜บ๏ธ I did this a lot when I was growing up myself. โ˜บ๏ธ Question. Appetite For Destruction Album is about 54 minutes.... How were you not able to record the entire album on a 60 minute cassette? ๐Ÿคจ
ย 

Edited by Karice

23 hours ago, Karice said:

Ahh. The good old days of copying albums on blank cassettes. โ˜บ๏ธ I did this a lot when I was growing up myself. โ˜บ๏ธ Question. Appetite For Destruction Album is about 54 minutes.... How were you not able to record the entire album on a 60 minute cassette? ๐Ÿคจ
ย 

No idea. Stupid 12 year old I guess

Axl must have been in the news a lot at the time because I was like 8 and my Dad told me to turn off that "Alex Rose" when the November Rain video came on.

The first time I actually started listening to them was when You Could be Mine was in Terminator 2 and I had it on a mixed tape.ย 

ย 

Back in '86 or '87 when I first heard "Paradise City," on the radio. I thought it was a cool tune then I didn't hear it again for awhile. Then WTTJ came out and PC eventually came back to the radio. I believe the DJ at that time had a copy that he played until some upper management put a stop to it the first round. Then I saw the video on MTV. Back when MTV showed videos 98.9% of the time instead of the BS they show today.

ย 

Edited by DPR714
Added info

27 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Was born in '91, remember seeing SCOM on MTV in the early 90s thinking Axl looked dumb because his hair was long, like girls. Little did I know he's much cooler than me!

I remember someone asking something like,"Who is that red haired girl watching TV in the Welcome To The Jungle music video?" The reply was something like,"Red haired girl watching TV in the Welcome To The Jungle music video?" That's no girl, that's Axl Rose from Guns N'Roses!" ๐Ÿคฃโ˜บ๏ธ

• Haha 1

About Patience, I heard this deep sounding Singer and I remember thinking,"What happened to the high pitched Singer who sings Paradise City, Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child Of Mine?" ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคจ Did they get rid of him and replace him with this Baritone Singer?" ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿค”I'm still in awe about Axl's multiple voice ranges. โ˜บ๏ธ

• Like 1