"Civil War comeback" sound appreciation - Nashville December 4 2011

This is the Civil war comeback after 1993, in the usa leg tour, what a show!!! a moths before they played Estranged for the firts time since  93 too, i gotta say the band sounded amazing and back in the days we were very shocked about it lol, Axl was on fire and with an amazing flow!! 

looking back to this i can only apreciate seeing the 2011 Axl and the band from those years live.

PD: i cannot post the video for obvious reasons but is easily founded in YT ;)

The only thing that always bugged me was that Bumblefoot always played the outro octave thing wrong. For such a brilliant musician who was always super attentive to detail in the songs it was somewhat strange that he didn't play realize the outro octaves rotatedvfrom ending on G to ending on E every other time. He would end it on G every rep.

• Like 1

It was a shock when they dusted that one off in 2011 because it was in the middle of the tour. I was stoked to get Estranged and Don’t Cry (also rare at the time) at the Detroit show but was bummed about Civil War. Then, they did it when they came back for the theater tour in 2012 and it seemed surreal at the time

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It was a highlight at the Seattle 2011 show: https://streamable.com/3k3c5k

They played it with Duff the following night in Vancouver, but the Seattle performance was better.

thanks for the vid!! those days i remember being a teen and couldn t sleep for the emotion lol so hyped i watch those vids on loop 

20 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It was a highlight at the Seattle 2011 show: https://streamable.com/3k3c5k

They played it with Duff the following night in Vancouver, but the Seattle performance was better.

and godamnt!!! axl look so badass back then

• Like 1

I was there that night and was amazed by this show!!! It was my first GN'R show and I remember the casual feeling this wasn't actually going to be the "Real" GN'R. Damn, I was wrong. They came on so late and all of the Black Label Society fans had pretty much left. It was 12-1 o'clock in the morning when they came on and I had to be at work at 5 am. It was so worth it!!! I was half asleep on twitter talking about how good the show was and then noticed that Bumblefoot followed me. For some reason he still does to this day. Every now and then he likes random post from me. I still get pumped every time. 

Edited by Tourettes2400
  • GNFNR 4

I went back and watched Estranged from Rio (and most of the show) in 2011 the other night...also just listening to the Seattle version above - I was wrong about his 2011 voice. It's much stronger than I remember it being, for whatever reason.

Maybe it was because his 2010 voice was god-tier, post '93.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

I went back and watched Estranged from Rio (and most of the show) in 2011 the other night...also just listening to the Seattle version above - I was wrong about his 2011 voice. It's much stronger than I remember it being, for whatever reason.

Maybe it was because his 2010 voice was god-tier, post '93.

2011 had a bad reputation because of Rio but by the end of the year his voice was fairly strong, though kinda inconsistent... but December 2011 through the UCAP tour was still the best post-2010 period for Axl.

At the time it seemed like such a drastic step down from 2010, and I think the 2010 tour probably did damage his voice, but for the most part he didn't sound nearly as bad as some people claim.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Rio was such a drastic shift from 2010, plus, there was hope for new music at the time, so it didn't do the show any favours. Always really dug the first performance of Civil War in, at the time, 18 years. Axl sounds great on it. One of my favourite versions of the song.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

It was a shock when they dusted that one off in 2011 because it was in the middle of the tour. I was stoked to get Estranged and Don’t Cry (also rare at the time) at the Detroit show but was bummed about Civil War. Then, they did it when they came back for the theater tour in 2012 and it seemed surreal at the time

My dad and I saw GN'R (for the first time) in November, 2011 in Chicago. Then again, in 2012 at the Fillmore Detroit. Both were incredible shows. Detroit being our favorite because we met Bumblefoot before the show, and also heard Civil War. Shackler's Revenge during this era was also amazing. Wish they would play it again with Fortus on lead.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

2011 had a bad reputation because of Rio but by the end of the year his voice was fairly strong, though kinda inconsistent... but December 2011 through the UCAP tour was still the best post-2010 period for Axl.

At the time it seemed like such a drastic step down from 2010, and I think the 2010 tour probably did damage his voice, but for the most part he didn't sound nearly as bad as some people claim.

I'd still put the American 2016 leg a little ahead of that period vocally (No show is as good as Houston 16 was, though Philly 12 and Denver 11 were awesome).

Talking of Denver 11, the CW that night imo is the best newer version ever, only Houston 16 and perhaps Seattle 11 come close imo.

100% strong rasp, utterly fierce vocals, the Denver version probably beats a great many illusions performances imo.

Edited by koldweather