Halloween Ends

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I've loved the Halloween series since I was a little kid, and I hated all three of these new movies. David Gordon Green just isn't capable of creating a creepy atmosphere.

Yeah. Same here. And I pretty much hate all of them too, in varying degrees. All of them just feel so wrong. Kinda like that hack never saw the original Halloween. That said, the new one took much longer to piss me off. Interesting opening and I was intrigued. Then I got bored and then I thought, WTF? Interesting idea, but poorly executed. It was Halloween light. You don't just relegate Michael Myers to a side character in his own movie.

Edited by PatrickS77

31 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. Same here. And I pretty much hate all of them too, in various degrees. All of them just feel so wrong. Kinda like that hack never saw the original Halloween. That said, the new one took much longer to piss me off. Interesting opening and I was intrigued. Then I got bored and then I thought, WTF? Interesting idea, but purely executed. It was Halloween light. You don't just relegate Michael Myers to a side character in his own movie.

Yeah, they definitely don't have the feel. DGG's movies are too abrasive, Michael just going around savagely killing everyone like Leatherface or Jason Vorhees. I like Texas Chainsaw and Friday The 13th but they're completely different worlds. In Carpenter's original movie and the first sequel he is sort of a supernatural force creeping in the shadows, he spends more time stalking than killing. There's also almost no gore in the original, because that wasn't what it was about.

I also thought Halloween Ends was interesting in the first half, though more in a comical sense. It seemed like Corey was going to be Michael's protégé, and even though I was laughing when they were teaming up to kill people it was at least entertaining. I don't know what happened in the second half.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Yeah, they definitely don't have the feel. DGG's movies are too abrasive, Michael just going around savagely killing everyone like Leatherface or Jason Vorhees. I like Texas Chainsaw and Friday The 13th but they're completely different worlds. In Carpenter's original movie and the first sequel he is sort of a supernatural force creeping in the shadows, he spends more time stalking than killing. There's also almost no gore in the original, because that wasn't what it was about.

I also thought Halloween Ends was interesting in the first half, though more in a comical sense. It seemed like Corey was going to be Michael's protégé, and even though I was laughing when they were teaming up to kill people it was at least entertaining. I don't know what happened in the second half.

Yeah. Exactly that. It's kinda comical how they discarded all the sequels (even H2 and H20... obviously they had to ignore the others) to somehow bring it back to the original to veer off even more than the original sequels did.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I've loved the Halloween series since I was a little kid, and I hated all three of these new movies. David Gordon Green just isn't capable of creating a creepy atmosphere.

True. John Carpenter knew how to grow the suspense. Even watching the original Halloween today and knowing what's going to happen, you still hold your breathe watching it. Love that music too. John said they didn't have much money so he wrote and performed the music himself. And it is still one of the best soundtracks today.

19 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Yeah, but Corey broke one RULE. that did it for him. lol

18 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. Exactly that. It's kinda comical how they discarded all the sequels (even H2 and H20... obviously they had to ignore the others) to somehow bring it back to the original to veer off even more than the original sequels did.

Yeah, I love that they expected us to just forget all the other Halloween movies. Come on. We fans couldn't and wouldn't want to forget them. Still love them to this day.

Met Danielle Harris at a Texas Frightmare. She's such a sweet woman. She grew up in those movies.

• Like 1

Probably one of the worst movies I ever saw. I don't know what they were thinking coming up with such a retarded storyline for the last movie of the trilogy. Utterly ridiculous. 

While the first of the trilogy was pretty good, the last two were just awful. I was pretty sure the last one couldn't possibly be as bad as Halloween kills, but they taught me wrong. The writer and director ought to go to prison for this

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

22 hours ago, Dazey said:

Haven't seen the last two but quite enjoyed this one.  Was expecting it to be a lot worsehaving seen a couple of the reviews.

You have to see halloween and Halloween kiss too.

I did like this one and so did my brother. Anyway yes it was different but Michael had to end sometime. Let Haddenfield heal and let Laurie be safe for the rest of her life.

49 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

You have to see halloween and Halloween kiss too.

I did like this one and so did my brother. Anyway yes it was different but Michael had to end sometime. Let Haddenfield heal and let Laurie be safe for the rest of her life.

How could you have liked this if you care about the franchise. Michael was in like 3 minutes of the whole fucking movie 

9 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

How could you have liked this if you care about the franchise. Michael was in like 3 minutes of the whole fucking movie 

The franchise has been a pile of shit for the majority of the movies. I think there's probably been about 3 Halloween movies with Michael Myers as the main character than have been decent. The original is a classic and after that I think the second best Halloween is probably Halloween 3 and that doesn't have Michael Myers in it at all.

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

The franchise has been a pile of shit for the majority of the movies. I think there's probably been about 3 Halloween movies with Michael Myers as the main character than have been decent. The original is a classic and after that I think the second best Halloween is probably Halloween 3 and that doesn't have Michael Myers in it at all.

I'd rank them:

Halloween (Original)

Halloween (2018)

H20

Halloween 2

Halloween 4

Halloween 1 (Rob Zombie)

Halloween 6

Halloween Kills

Halloween 5

Halloween Resurrection

Halloween Ends/Halloween 2 (Rob zombie) - both equally piles of shit

never actually saw halloween 3

Is it that time again? ;)
Top to bottom, first comes the one I really love:
Halloween

and really like (I kinda could move 4 up, but that wouldn't reflect how much more I love the original):
Halloween 4
H20
Halloween 2
Halloween 5

Then the ones I don't fully like, but like aspects of:
Halloween 2 Zombie
Halloween Zombie
Halloween Ends

then the ones I absolutely hate and can't stop from hating while watching them (I still do end up watching them at least once every 2 years, if only to confirm that I still hate them and mourn the fact that they screwd up so much)
Halloween 2018
Halloween Kills
Halloween 6
Halloween resurrection

Halloween 3 is a different ballgame and doesn't really count.

Edited by PatrickS77

Why do you hate the first of the trilogy? To me it got as true to the original vibe of the movie as any other before that

i heard zombie fucked up the 2nd one on purpose to get out of the contract or whatever. that one was so bad. especially when michael yells "diiieee" when killing loomis (was it loomis). god that was so hilariously bad

3 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I'd rank them:

Halloween (Original)

Halloween (2018)

H20

Halloween 2

Halloween 4

Halloween 1 (Rob Zombie)

Halloween 6

Halloween Kills

Halloween 5

Halloween Resurrection

Halloween Ends/Halloween 2 (Rob zombie) - both equally piles of shit

never actually saw halloween 3

I’ve not seen Halloween (2018) but of the ones I have seen I’d agree with that ranking. Halloween 3 is great. It has no relation to any of the other movies. The plan at the time after 1 and 2 was to release a new movie every year under the Halloween name but with a completely different story. This one’s about an evil toy maker who tries to kill millions of kids on Halloween. Got a kicking from the critics when it first came out because there was no Michael Myers but it’s been reappraised in recent years as a bit of an overlooked cult classic. 

Edited by Dazey

8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Is it that time again? ;)
Top to bottom, first comes the one I really love:
Halloween

and really like (I kinda could move 4 up, but that wouldn't reflect how much more I love the original):
Halloween 4
H20
Halloween 2
Halloween 5

Then the ones I don't fully like, but like aspects of:
Halloween 2 Zombie
Halloween Zombie
Halloween Ends

then the ones I absolutely hate and can't stop from hating while watching them (I still do end up watching them at least once every 2 years, if only to confirm that I still hate them and mourn the fact that they screwd up so much)
Halloween 2018
Halloween Kills
Halloween 6
Halloween resurrection

Halloween 3 is a different ballgame and doesn't really count.

Halloween 3 is actually my second favourite movie of the entire franchise. I love how different it was and the anthology concept sounded interesting. 

Also, you can't go wrong with Tom Atkins. He appeared in another John Carpenter movie The Fog. 

1) Halloween 

2) Halloween 3

3) Halloween 2

4) Halloween 4

5) Halloween 5

6) H20

7) Halloween 6

8) Halloween (2007)

9) Halloween (2007)

10) Resurrection

I'm not sure how to rate the new trilogy as I've only seen the last entry yet.

Edited by Sosso

On 10/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Why do you hate the first of the trilogy? To me it got as true to the original vibe of the movie as any other before that

Well, for the reasons stated above. If you really think it has the same vibe as the original, your mind is playing tricks on you and you should watch it again. H18 tonally is totally different. They threw in gratuitous gore (that at times just looks comical) to cover up that there is nothing else going on. No suspense. No fear factor. Just a crappy story, held together by ridiculous coincidences and off-putting, obnoxious and stupid characters, who can't die soon enough and a Michael Myers who is acting totally out of character. They claim to be the direct sequel to the original. But for sure the character seen here is the overblown character from the sequels. And yet, in movie, by taking away all his history and notority, the attention given to him by the characters is way too much, considering that he killed just 5 people (and 4 of them being 40 years ago) and except for 2 nights, he was locked up since 55 years, reducing him to a loser. Nothing in this story really makes sense.

Edited by PatrickS77

Halloween 2018 felt like Terminator meets Taken meets Halloween. I definitely got more "vigilante thriller" out of it than anything resembling the original movie, but I did find it to be a satisfying watch.

I'll always ponder the "what could have been" of the ending of Halloween 4 - probably my favorite of all the sequels. I like Halloween 5 enough but I feel like the whole "Jamie Lloyd following in his footsteps" thing could have been far more greatly explored had they continued in that direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Halloween 2018 felt like Terminator meets Taken meets Halloween. I definitely got more "vigilante thriller" out of it than anything resembling the original movie, but I did find it to be a satisfying watch.

I'll always ponder the "what could have been" of the ending of Halloween 4 - probably my favorite of all the sequels. I like Halloween 5 enough but I feel like the whole "Jamie Lloyd following in his footsteps" thing could have been far more greatly explored had they continued in that direction.

yea they missed big fucking opportunity with that storyline. the cliffhanger was epic and what they did in halloween 5 was just abysmal. every character was just fucking annoying (esp tina). and the myers mask was just ridiculous. and don't even get me started on that whole cult shit

but nontheless, i end up watching every halloween movie from time to time (except for the 2nd zombie movie)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Yeah. But then again, how would that had really play out? Having a little girl being the villain? What to do with Michael? It was a great ending. But to properly following it up and turn it into a good movie, I don't know. They did well enough with 5, just showing what an effect her ordeal in 4 had, but otherwise let her be the cute, innocent little girl.

Edited by PatrickS77

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

yea they missed big fucking opportunity with that storyline. the cliffhanger was epic and what they did in halloween 5 was just abysmal. every character was just fucking annoying (esp tina). and the myers mask was just ridiculous. and don't even get me started on that whole cult shit

but nontheless, i end up watching every halloween movie from time to time (except for the 2nd zombie movie)

I don't get the hate for Tina. I think she was great. At the end, she sacrificed herself to save Jamie. There are far more annoying characters in the series and in the new trilogy.

Also disagree on the second Zombie movie, as it is way better than the first. Only the first half (minus the white trash/Zombie stuff) is good. Once Michael escapes and starts to teleport to wherever he needs to be, the whole movie falls apart.

31 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. But then again, how would had really play out? Having a little girl being the villain? What to do with Michael? It was a great ending. But to properly following it up and turn it into a good movie, I don't know. They did well enough with 5, just showin g what an effect her ordeal in 4 had, but otherwise let her be the cute, innocent little girl.

I don't necessarily have the answer to that. I just find 5 to be a letdown after the excellent 4 in general. I do think there were probably better ways to explorer that idea than what we ended up with. Her being mute and having some weird Force connection with Michael plus the onslaught of the cult stuff is where I really feel like the series starting losing focus. I never get the sense of a payoff to the cliffhanger ending of 4.

Truthfully I would have rather had her be the villain. At least it would have been something fresh which I think is where the series keeps making the same mistakes by trying to rehash things but never advance them.