Watches

ZoSoRose

Anyone on here into watches? Been getting into them the past few years. Don’t have anything crazy (yet), but it’s fun to look! 

One day I’d like to buy a nice Omega Seamaster. I’ve wanted one since I was a kid watching a Pierce Brosnan Bonds :lol:

Just now, ssiscool said:

OK, so i just googled the James bond Omega Seamaster watch and one retailer had it at £48,800.

What does that watch do that my £18 Casio watch doesn't? 

You can get a used Seamaster for like 2-3k. There are probably 100 different “Bond Seamasters “ :lol:

16 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

You can get a used Seamaster for like 2-3k. There are probably 100 different “Bond Seamasters “ :lol:

This is the 1st result i got when i googled "Bond Omega Seamaster" https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/1159984/Omega+Seamaster+James+Bond+Numbered+Special+Edition+Watch/ 

But even at £2k what does that watch do my £18 one doesn't? I get everyone has a hobby, and fair play to you for it but i fail to understand dropping £2-3k on a single watch

That’s just some limited edition one themed for movies. The character wore a pretty plain, “normal” one in the film (with added lasers or whatever).

That being said, the £18 watch probably tells time just fine. Why do people like more expensive cars, jewelry, instruments, clothes, etc?

Quality, craftsmanship, and of course, marketing and branding :lol:

I’ve never spent over $1000 on a watch, but I still like admiring from the internet

Yes, I love watches. I'm not too into jewellery, but a watch really does it for me. 

This is my current everyday watch. I'm a big fan of Lacoste, its an excellent piece of branding. Not the easiest to read the time though! I also have a gold watch which I inherited from my grandma, which I'll wear on dressy occasions. 

I was gifted a nice watch for my 21st birthday. Accidentally left it on the beach in Florida, so I bought an identical secondhand one from ebay. The person who gifted me the original doesn't know. I do regret losing it though. 

I've never had a Swatch, but that might be my next one. The trouble is, they're fairly pricey considering how plasticky they are. 

2011069-4_1200x.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 10:19 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Anyone on here into watches? Been getting into them the past few years. Don’t have anything crazy (yet), but it’s fun to look! 

One day I’d like to buy a nice Omega Seamaster. I’ve wanted one since I was a kid watching a Pierce Brosnan Bonds :lol:

Honestly the same reason I love the Omegas so much. Tissot makes some nice watches that are extremely similar in look and vibe to the Seamaster with a much smaller price tag. Check out the Seastar series!

I've loved watches since I was a kid. I genuinely feel naked if I forget to wear one. I've got nothing overly fancy - a couple Fossil ones, a Guess, and a Seiko. Omega is the dream.

For what it's worth, I've seen the Tomorrow Never Dies era Seamasters sell for $1500 used. Certainly more affordable than the current crop!

On 10/16/2022 at 12:05 PM, action said:

no, I don't wear watches

This is definitely the thread for you then.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:06 PM, ssiscool said:

This is the 1st result i got when i googled "Bond Omega Seamaster" https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/1159984/Omega+Seamaster+James+Bond+Numbered+Special+Edition+Watch/ 

But even at £2k what does that watch do my £18 one doesn't? I get everyone has a hobby, and fair play to you for it but i fail to understand dropping £2-3k on a single watch

The same can be said for any hobby. Why buy a $2000 Fender guitar when you can just play a $300 Squier? Why buy a physical film when you can download it for free? Why drop $1000 on a set of golf clubs when the guy on Craigslist is asking $50 for his?

Different strokes for different folks. Less about the functionality of it and more about the craftsmanship and passion for the hobby.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Honestly the same reason I love the Omegas so much. Tissot makes some nice watches that are extremely similar in look and vibe to the Seamaster with a much smaller price tag. Check out the Seastar series!

I've loved watches since I was a kid. I genuinely feel naked if I forget to wear one. I've got nothing overly fancy - a couple Fossil ones, a Guess, and a Seiko. Omega is the dream.

For what it's worth, I've seen the Tomorrow Never Dies era Seamasters sell for $1500 used. Certainly more affordable than the current crop!

This is definitely the thread for you then.

The same can be said for any hobby. Why buy a $2000 Fender guitar when you can just play a $300 Squier? Why buy a physical film when you can download it for free? Why drop $1000 on a set of golf clubs when the guy on Craigslist is asking $50 for his?

Different strokes for different folks. Less about the functionality of it and more about the craftsmanship and passion for the hobby.

Love Tissot! I treated myself to a Tag Heuer Aquaracer chronograph (got it used for a good price) after I got a big promotion last year. Received it and took it to a local shop to get cleaned when I noticed a brand new Tissot Seastar 2000 in teal. It’s automatic, and has a ton of great dive features I probably won’t use much of :lol:. I sold the Tag on the spot to the store and paid the rest for the new Tissot. It’s my favorite watch by far. Has a really cool wave dial.

Also have a great Seiko diver, the SPRD23, in blue. Has another wave dial (I like the divers and Omega-esque ones) and just picked up the Yellow Moonswatch. The Moonswatch is a little overpriced at $250, but they are pretty cool

I would definitely go for a Tomorrow Never Dies Seamaster one day. I think they are quartz so they are cheaper than most Seamasters

• Like 1

My brother really wanted to get the "cheap" Omega Moonswatch that was sold earlier this year, but it sold out instantly and is still unavailable.  I hate when companies create artificial scarcity instead of just making money by giving people what they want.  They flat-out refuse to make more despite the insane demand for the watches.  Assholes.

Anyone here have the Axl Rose Skull watch?  Supposedly only 25 made??

hyt-skull-axl-rose-hand-wind-blue-dial-m

If you missed it, don't worry....you can still get one for $100,000.

I used to wear a $10 digital watch, but like everyone else, I stopped bothering once cell phones became a thing.  I DO own one watch though.

I'm an absolute fanatic about AKIRA and it's author, Otomo Katsuhiro.  About ten years ago, Casio released a special G-Shock that was allegedly designed and approved by Otomo himself.  It was limited to 1000 copies.  It cost about $200.  It came in a really cool tin, housed inside a really nice box with graphics from the AKIRA manga.

51yz0ZgOBjL._AC_.jpg

I'm so glad I was able to get it for $200, cause now if you can find it for sale, it goes for well over $1000.

I only wore it once, but I got freaked out it was gonna get scratched so I immediately took it off and put it back in my pocket.  Besides, it's a very dorky color that doesn't exactly "go" with anything.  I'm still glad I have it though.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

My brother really wanted to get the "cheap" Omega Moonswatch that was sold earlier this year, but it sold out instantly and is still unavailable.  I hate when companies create artificial scarcity instead of just making money by giving people what they want.  They flat-out refuse to make more despite the insane demand for the watches.  Assholes.

That’s the one I just picked up. There’s one for each planet and then one for the sun and moon. It’s all a marketing ploy. They are still Swatch watches, so plastic and quartz, and made in the Swatch factory in Switzerland- not the Omega one. Still, it’s a cool marketing ploy.

Its lame because you can only get them at Swatch stores. I was on vacation by one and happened to pick up one. The one one they they had was the Sun. Wasn’t my first color choice, but what can you do?

• Like 1

Thanks!  Glad someone out there appreciates it.  Sometimes when I show it to people they just go "The fuck is that, a watch for nerdy kids?"   Hmmm...well kinda, but I still like it.

It's cool you got a Moonswatch for retail price (I assume) but I still think it's such bullshit that they refuse to produce them in proper numbers and sell them online.  My brother had his heart set on the Moon model, and of course good fucking luck getting that one.  I think the bullshit colors like pink and purple are less expensive, but that's cause nobody wants them.  They want THE MOON!

17 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Thanks!  Glad someone out there appreciates it.  Sometimes when I show it to people they just go "The fuck is that, a watch for nerdy kids?"   Hmmm...well kinda, but I still like it.

It's cool you got a Moonswatch for retail price (I assume) but I still think it's such bullshit that they refuse to produce them in proper numbers and sell them online.  My brother had his heart set on the Moon model, and of course good fucking luck getting that one.  I think the bullshit colors like pink and purple are less expensive, but that's cause nobody wants them.  They want THE MOON!

Yeah I got it retail cause it was at the store. Didn’t have a chance to buy the moon. They only had the pink Venus one and the yellow Sun one- the two least sought after models I’m assuming. That being said, the sun has grown on me

Edited by ZoSoRose

21 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Better than pink for sure!!   But for real, I think yellow was one of the better color options.  The rest were a bit drab, and purple or pink was gaudy.  Yellow is fun and flashy.

Still.....moon would be best.

I wanted the Uranus (ha) one the most along with the Moon, but it’s all good. It’s a Swatch at heart, so it should be a bit bright and flashy. The yellow works just fine I’ve decided 

• 1 month later...

I have around $20,000 in watches, which is fucking embarrassing. I didn't buy all of them, lots were gifts. I work for a company with a swiss watch wing, so they keep coming my way. But I did drop $1,000 on the Bulova Lunar Pilot today. like actually today. I feel good about that purchase. Or at least I'm telling myself that.

488014fb-bc9a-4258-b7a2-b7a4831db24b.jpg

Edited by Jackie Moon

On 10/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, ZoSoRose said:

my boss, a billionaire, has the original omega speedmaster, i think it's something like $80,000? I've always framed him in the reference of "the axl rose effect", as in, at a certain point reality just doesn't apply.

12 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Jackie Moon what are the extra bits in the box?

a second strap, main strap is leather, second is a... the word escapes me right now, not vinyl but like... kind of like a tent material? like camping tent? (I love camping, it's totally in tents).

Fuck I can't think of the word but it's a cloth type material. kind of military but black.

(edit - i thought of the word, canvas! Canvas is the word i was searching for. what a genius. Jackie you idiot).

The other thing is just a tool to switch out the straps. The back has an engraving with detail on Apollo 15, the mission this watch (not literally this watch), was used. I put it in my vault because I'm mainly interested in owning it, not wearing it (i'm clumsy and i bump into shit), but if you are interested i'll take some pictures. It will probably be this

9dc7e4531e0a76bed473b22e5972d9fe.jpg

+ a watch.

I really want an omega speedmaster but spending more than like $500 on a watch is outrageous to me. this one was available to me at a discount, so it was one of those "i can't not do this" moments.

When I wear it out i'll probably be wearing one of those covid pool noodle crowns.

Edited by Jackie Moon
  • Haha 1