Tommy Stinson Interview on Chinese, Axl, Duff and Robin Finck

8 hours ago, Dean said:

I’d probably guess the last part is aimed at Bucket and Bumble. It was rumored that Tommy had no time for either of them and Ron had said the band weren’t too happy at his last minute addition to the band after they had made it work with just 2 guitars.

Yeah, i remember it about Bumble too.

10 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I found a couple interesting quotes from Tommy which makes me wonder how much he actually respected Ashba.  First was this quote about Ashba splitting 

"Asked if he knew that Ashba was going to leave GUNS N' ROSES before he made the announcement, Stinson laughed and said: "You know, he called me up on the phone and told me that he was gonna quit, you know, and this that and the other thing. I just kinda got to thinking… It was funny that he made such a big deal about it, because there wasn't really anything going on [with the pre-reunion incarnation of GUNS N' ROSES]. He seemed like it was kind of inevitable that there was going to be a reunion happening, so I think he… I don't know if he [laughs] tried to get in front of the curve to, you know, drum up some extra fucking press for himself. I don't really know what the deal was, but I thought it odd. I thought it an odd time to make a big stink about quitting, you know?"

And then this one where he doesn't mention anybody by name but the previous two quotes make me wonder if it's about Ashba lol 

"The bassist told Eric Blair (via Alternative Nation): "I wasn't the musical director for Guns N' Roses. What I became in the early stages of the new Guns N' Roses, was I would try and organize a bit.

"You've got six guys, Axl too, I would just do my best to try and just keep us all on the same page. We had some different guitar players who were alternately either good friends of mine, or an absolute opposite of a friend, and a pain in the ass, who we dealt with, and I had to deal with."

Funny to see Tommy dunk on DJ like that! I do not think he dislikes DJ though. I've seen them interact on social media a few times. When I saw Tommy at a meet and greet at the beginning of the year before one of the shows, he mentioned DJ was one of the people from the GN'R camp he still talks to occasionally (also mentioned Frank, Richard, and Del James). Even if he thinks Robin was a better guitar player, I remember some interview where Tommy said something to the effect that Axl and DJ seemed to get on so well personally that it made things a lot easier. 

• Like 1

Cool interview.

Sometimes things are lost in translation (from English to another language) though.   

For example, in the part about Hard Skool, the original quote in English could be "an old song of/by the band" or "an old band song", which are two different things in the GN'R context.

Edited by Blackstar

20 minutes ago, reayj2003 said:

What’s the bit about Brian May mean?

“He also tried to approach one of my friends (laughs).”

I interpreted that as Brian was trying to put the moves on one of his friends when he met her lol but assuming this translation is accurate in terms of hitting that point

11 hours ago, Dean said:

I’d probably guess the last part is aimed at Bucket and Bumble. It was rumored that Tommy had no time for either of them and Ron had said the band weren’t too happy at his last minute addition to the band after they had made it work with just 2 guitars.

That's fair. Ron never seemed to fit in well with the group and I imagine bucket marches to the best of his own drum.

• 9 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, Dean said:

Brian said he played on 3 songs IIRC, around the time Catcher leaked in '06. Tommy dropped that he played on Riad in an interview last year, so that confirms that the three songs were Atlas, Catcher and Riad. No Red Special is present on Perhaps.

Doesn't sound like the Red Special is on Riad either.

Just now, luciusfunk said:

Doesn't sound like the Red Special is on Riad either.

not on a version of Riad that we've heard through leaks and of course not on the official version, but on a different version that we don't have access to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not on a version of Riad that we've heard through leaks and of course not on the official version, but on a different version that we don't have access to.

Could be, could be. I should rephrase that the Red Special doesn't sound like it's on the versions of Riad that have leaked (or the official release). I just went and listened to all the Riad tracks we got from the locker and none of them sound like Brian.

Just now, Dean said:

It’s not, it never made the cut. Tommy voices his displeasure at this in an interview he did a couple of years back.

What brought me here to begin with is someone on reddit who is so adamant that Brian is on the leaks we have of Riad.

Edited by luciusfunk

2 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Could be, could be. I should rephrase that the Red Special doesn't sound like it's on the versions of Riad that have leaked (or the official release). I just went and listened to all the Riad tracks we got from the locker and none of them sound like Brian.

What brought me here to begin with is someone on reddit who is so adamant that Brian is on the leaks we have of Riad.

that someone on Reddit doesn't know what he's talking about or is just trolling.

• Like 1

Didn't Tommy bully Buckethead and Bumblefoot ? Seems like the nu guns lineup was cliquey and some of these guys were treated like outsiders. I've noticed from interviews that Buckethead gets either dismissed outright (Tommy) or backhanded praise (Fortus, Finck). And Bucket was the towering talent of that band.

I also get the impression from old interviews that Axl and Tommy were really tight in the early days of the band and the relationship ran its course after CD came out. Some of those interviews from 2011 onwards sound like a guy just punching a clock to check in for work - like the passion was long gone for Tommy. By the final few tours it doesn't seem like nu guns was much of a band really - just session players and Axl showing up for a gig. As Hetfield aptly put it, "GnR is a guy and some other guys".

Edited by RONIN

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

Didn't Tommy bully Buckethead and Bumblefoot ? Seems like the nu guns lineup was cliquey and some of these guys were treated like outsiders. I've noticed from interviews that Buckethead gets either dismissed outright (Tommy) or backhanded praise (Fortus, Finck). And Bucket was the towering talent of that band.

I also get the impression from old interviews that Axl and Tommy were really tight in the early days of the band and the relationship ran its course after CD came out. Some of those interviews from 2011 onwards sound like a guy just punching a clock to check in for work - like the passion was long gone for Tommy. By the final few tours it doesn't seem like nu guns was much of a band really - just session players and Axl showing up for a gig. As Hetfield aptly put it, "GnR is a guy and some other guys".

Tommy said in an interview that Axl wasn't happy when he told him he had to leave for family reasons so I imagine they were still pretty tight. I think Tommy was really the rock of NuGuns - along with Dizzy and Pitman, he was a constant during an ever changing lineup. 

• Like 2