Tommy Stinson Interview on Chinese, Axl, Duff and Robin Finck

8 minutes ago, Spaghetti4twenty said:

Interesting he doesn’t remember hard skool. 

i guess the instrumental was recorded under a different title 

He's listed as a songwriter on ASCAP I believe, Josh Freese was the same and he couldn't remember if he had any involvement either - it's been around 24/25 years since the Chinese sessions were started and I wouldn't be surprised if the song never had any vocals when they were working on it.

Delighted that new music from Tommy is imminent as he's teased this Cowboys In The Campfire record for years now! 

• Like 3

• Dean changed the title to Tommy Stinson Interview on Chinese, Axl, Duff and Robin Finck

I found a couple interesting quotes from Tommy which makes me wonder how much he actually respected Ashba.  First was this quote about Ashba splitting 

"Asked if he knew that Ashba was going to leave GUNS N' ROSES before he made the announcement, Stinson laughed and said: "You know, he called me up on the phone and told me that he was gonna quit, you know, and this that and the other thing. I just kinda got to thinking… It was funny that he made such a big deal about it, because there wasn't really anything going on [with the pre-reunion incarnation of GUNS N' ROSES]. He seemed like it was kind of inevitable that there was going to be a reunion happening, so I think he… I don't know if he [laughs] tried to get in front of the curve to, you know, drum up some extra fucking press for himself. I don't really know what the deal was, but I thought it odd. I thought it an odd time to make a big stink about quitting, you know?"

And then this one where he doesn't mention anybody by name but the previous two quotes make me wonder if it's about Ashba lol 

"The bassist told Eric Blair (via Alternative Nation): "I wasn't the musical director for Guns N' Roses. What I became in the early stages of the new Guns N' Roses, was I would try and organize a bit.

"You've got six guys, Axl too, I would just do my best to try and just keep us all on the same page. We had some different guitar players who were alternately either good friends of mine, or an absolute opposite of a friend, and a pain in the ass, who we dealt with, and I had to deal with."

8 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

I found a couple interesting quotes from Tommy which makes me wonder how much he actually respected Ashba.  First was this quote about Ashba splitting 

"Asked if he knew that Ashba was going to leave GUNS N' ROSES before he made the announcement, Stinson laughed and said: "You know, he called me up on the phone and told me that he was gonna quit, you know, and this that and the other thing. I just kinda got to thinking… It was funny that he made such a big deal about it, because there wasn't really anything going on [with the pre-reunion incarnation of GUNS N' ROSES]. He seemed like it was kind of inevitable that there was going to be a reunion happening, so I think he… I don't know if he [laughs] tried to get in front of the curve to, you know, drum up some extra fucking press for himself. I don't really know what the deal was, but I thought it odd. I thought it an odd time to make a big stink about quitting, you know?"

And then this one where he doesn't mention anybody by name but the previous two quotes make me wonder if it's about Ashba lol 

"The bassist told Eric Blair (via Alternative Nation): "I wasn't the musical director for Guns N' Roses. What I became in the early stages of the new Guns N' Roses, was I would try and organize a bit.

"You've got six guys, Axl too, I would just do my best to try and just keep us all on the same page. We had some different guitar players who were alternately either good friends of mine, or an absolute opposite of a friend, and a pain in the ass, who we dealt with, and I had to deal with."

I’d probably guess the last part is aimed at Bucket and Bumble. It was rumored that Tommy had no time for either of them and Ron had said the band weren’t too happy at his last minute addition to the band after they had made it work with just 2 guitars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dean said:

I’d probably guess the last part is aimed at Bucket and Bumble. It was rumored that Tommy had no time for either of them and Ron had said the band weren’t too happy at his last minute addition to the band after they had made it work with just 2 guitars.

yeah it seems he was close with Robin and Richard and wasn't really with Bucket, Bumble, and DJ. Tommy always tells it like it is. He even once mentioned in an interview how "some of the players in the band never made an album before", probably talking about Robin, which he seems to like.

1 hour ago, We love Axl Rose said:

rYf7ysf.gif

At least we now that this was sarcastic as fuck. I was indifferent about Tommy. Seemed like a genuine guy, but I wasn't really a 'fan' as such. Not like I was of Bucket, Brain and Freese. They were superb musicians.  

But I have to say, these quotes got me. He clearly despised DJ and thought he was a really fucking average guitarist - and that's something I can totally get onboard with. Bravo Tommy, bravo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently Tommy wasn't not the most likeable member. There's many emails (MSL documents) where people wanted him out. Only the titles summarizing the emails got out there, sadly the emails themselves have not surfaced. There's some about wanting to fire and/or sue DJ Ashba too. Another about dissolving the band. Interesting shit. Hope they surface one day. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Apparently Tommy wasn't not the most likeable member. There's many emails (MSL documents) where people wanted him out. Only the titles summarizing the emails got out there, sadly the emails themselves have not surfaced. There's some about wanting to fire and/or sue DJ Ashba too. Another about dissolving the band. Interesting shit. Hope they surface one day. 

I forgot about those - so wild to me that MSL never ended up getting sued (that we know of).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Without Tommy, I don't think Axl has the longevity he had without Slash and Duff. An integral part of the whole Chinese era was Tam. I was told that a lot of those supposed emails were bogus, take that with a pinch of salt though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, itsprettytiedup said:

What a legend. Didn't know Brian May played guitar on Rhiad also? I thought it was Perhaps, Catcher and Atlas

May played on Riad, Catcher, and Atlas. Perhaps is (most likely) all Finck, definitely not May.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

20 minutes ago, itsprettytiedup said:

What a legend. Didn't know Brian May played guitar on Rhiad also? I thought it was Perhaps, Catcher and Atlas

Brian said he played on 3 songs IIRC, around the time Catcher leaked in '06. Tommy dropped that he played on Riad in an interview last year, so that confirms that the three songs were Atlas, Catcher and Riad. No Red Special is present on Perhaps.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dean said:

He's listed as a songwriter on ASCAP I believe, Josh Freese was the same and he couldn't remember if he had any involvement either - it's been around 24/25 years since the Chinese sessions were started and I wouldn't be surprised if the song never had any vocals when they were working on it.

Delighted that new music from Tommy is imminent as he's teased this Cowboys In The Campfire record for years now! 

You also have Dave Dominguez who was an engineer for the early sessions who barely recognized anything on the final product outside some of the song titles. There also must have been a ton of instrumentals that were worked on then that will never see the light of day.