What is your favorite Axl look post 2000?

32 minutes ago, jamillos said:

When you google Axl Pukkelpop (or Belgium) 2002 (and switch to images), you'll see he was sporting the same jersey. Could be a different show, of course. But I think he wasn't wearing bandana as much in the '02 North America leg. 

That's right with the exception of MTV VMA and Tacoma which was the the first NA show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

When you google Axl Pukkelpop (or Belgium) 2002 (and switch to images), you'll see he was sporting the same jersey. Could be a different show, of course. But I think he wasn't wearing bandana as much in the '02 North America leg. 

I got confused with the concert pic because he wore a jacket like that at the end of 2001 and the style seemed to carry over in the early shows of 2002. His style in 2002 was so influenced by hip hop with the oversized jerseys and baggy pants that was a complete reversal of his usual style.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:29 AM, ©GnrPersia said:

standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

I'm not much for the baggy pants he wore in the early 2000's, I don't think it suited him. Also, when you have such good legs, it's a shame to hide them 🙂

2006 Axl was on fire, ignoring the braids and goatee - he was fit and his clothing style was a bit more dressed up. Although I really like his style now, going back to the rock roots with tight ripped jeans and cool t-shirts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mystery said:

I swear he's wearing the same if not very similar jacket for the Joint shows in this pic that might look different because of the darker lighting.

FH9G902XoAkxdv5.jpg

When I was looking for photos for on this day thread I came across a photo from 2010 of Axl wearing the same jacket from The Joint 2001 shows.

axl02-1.jpg

Edited by We love Axl Rose
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JasmineSwe said:

I'm not much for the baggy pants he wore in the early 2000's, I don't think it suited him. Also, when you have such good legs, it's a shame to hide them 🙂

2006 Axl was on fire, ignoring the braids and goatee - he was fit and his clothing style was a bit more dressed up. Although I really like his style now, going back to the rock roots with tight ripped jeans and cool t-shirts.

I actually think the goatee suited him as a guy in his 40's and think it would be cool if he had some kind of facial hair today.

10 hours ago, JasmineSwe said:

But the braids and goatee were a major part of his 2006 looks! It was the best nuGNR Axl. He should get a beard now and combine it with a bandana and shorts (like he wears on soundchecks sometimes). That would be glorious. 

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

But the braids and goatee were a major part of his 2006 looks! It was the best nuGNR Axl. He should get a beard now and combine it with a bandana and shorts (like he wears on soundchecks sometimes). That would be glorious. 

Well, it's a personal preference, braids and goatees on men are just not to my liking 🙂

I agree a beard could look good on Axl now, preferably like the one around 1992, not styled with handlebar mustache or something similar as it makes him look like a member of a biker gang.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jamillos said:

I'm all for black shirts and shorts similar to rehearsals. But we've only seen brief videos and photos with that style.

The problem with shorts is that we don't know how he's gonna look to the public eye running around with those for 2 hours straight and all different angles people would take photos from. I can imagine some assholes making brand new memes from that.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

This came first to my mind. I have some distant memories about it lol

I just watched a clip on youtube from that show and Axl has this outfit. But Finck appears to wear the all white jumpsuit. So the picture is in fact taken at the Hong Kong 2002 show. You can find a couple more pictures taken by George Chin.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 5:18 AM, JasmineSwe said:

Well, it's a personal preference, braids and goatees on men are just not to my liking 🙂

I agree a beard could look good on Axl now, preferably like the one around 1992, not styled with handlebar mustache or something similar as it makes him look like a member of a biker gang.

There was that picture that used to float around where 2006 Axl looked pretty much like he did in 1994 with similar facial hair. The only thing that really set him back in 2006-07 was the thick, tied up braids.

Give him the hair from 2009-10 and he'd look very much like 90's Axl. It feels like a lot happened from late 2007-late 2009 where he'd aged a bit in the face and the difference feels much longer than 2 years.

• Like 1

We'll never know the answer to why Axl went to braids for at least 5 years and why he couldn't keep the 2001 hair. I don't care if he was wearing wigs, the braids will always be made fun of. I'm also wondering at what point he finally ditched them because he disappeared from July 2007-August 2009. 

Edited by mystery

45 minutes ago, mystery said:

We'll never know the answer to why Axl went to braids for at least 5 years and why he couldn't keep the 2001 hair. I don't care if he was wearing wigs, the braids will always be made fun of. I'm also wondering at what point he finally ditched them because he disappeared from July 2007-August 2009. 

There were reports in 2008 (circa CD release) that his hair wasn’t braided anymore. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:51 AM, OhMyGod1986 said:

I know I'm alone with this one, but i love the 02 look

2002 just had to be a shock for most people, the 2002 VMAs were really most people's first look at Axl since the UYI era. The band came back in 2001 but it wasn't as documented unless you were into the band.

I think Rock in Rio 2001 was broadcast on PPV but far less people would have seen that than MTV. Axl just looked like a different dude with long thick braids, big jerseys, and baggy jeans. He looked much more a man out of time in 2002 than 2006 when he went more rock with his fashion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mystery said:

2002 just had to be a shock for most people, the 2002 VMAs were really most people's first look at Axl since the UYI era. The band came back in 2001 but it wasn't as documented unless you were into the band.

I think Rock in Rio 2001 was broadcast on PPV but far less people would have seen that than MTV. Axl just looked like a different dude with long thick braids, big jerseys, and baggy jeans. He looked much more a man out of time in 2002 than 2006 when he went more rock with his fashion.

I think he looked quite ok during the actual MTV gig, but the interview showed him closer or whatever and that was weirder. In any case, the transition was a real head-scratcher. First NBA 2001 (who tf is that), then MTV 2002 (quite ok), and then this in 2003:

guns-n-roses-singer-axl-rose-poses-at-th

But 3 years after, voila, we got this:

13ef3d0b9f0dccdd57c5a091f5347354.jpg

What the hell! 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I think he looked quite ok during the actual MTV gig, but the interview showed him closer or whatever and that was weirder. In any case, the transition was a real head-scratcher. First NBA 2001 (who tf is that), then MTV 2002 (quite ok), and then this in 2003:

What the hell! 

2003-2006 isn't nearly as much of a change, its just slightly older Axl with a goatee. What I always wondered about the braids is how much of his actual hair makes of that length because it seems to be almost all extensions. I wouldn't be surprised if his actual hair was pretty short that whole time.

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

What the hell! 

So in 2003 he was 41, his skin looks unnaturally smooth, probably Botox. Three years later he has a goatee which is aging, but still looks like Botox in his forehead, it's very smooth.

In 2009-2010 it all of sudden looked like he had aged 10 years. What the hell happened? My guess is weight gain, maybe he stopped Botox and other treatments, could possibly be illness of some kind too?

Don't know how to insert image from URL, can anyone be so kind and guide this boomer? 😁