Least favorite thing since Slash/Duff returned…

52 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Inaccurate. I’ve seen plenty of people rocking out to ChiDem and Better. 

and I remember specifically, the East Rutherford crowd giving This I Love one hell of a reaction. 

Agreed. There's definitely a large group that do not know the material, but do you have to know the material to enjoy a song when you're there? Hell no. I've seen plenty of concerts where I didn't know the back catalogue and still enjoyed what was mostly new material for me.

Chinese always got a great pop. TIL always got a great pop... But as Axls voice began to struggle on it, the crowd got bored... That song is all about the vocal. Not all songs are great live songs though and for the most part Better has never really popped the crowd too much when I was at a show, some head nodding but overall not much enthusiasm. When I saw them in 2012 it got a good pop though, but that crowd was largely gnr fanatics.

Also...the same people who don't care probably don't care about yesterday's, Estranged, coma, Jive and most of the deeper catalogue tracks. Those people generally are there for hits and not to be educated about a bands newer music or stuff they don't know.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Ticket sales strongly disagree. 

I said figuratively.

For me, the band is finished. They're now in Zeppelin territory. I have the records, I have the memories, I have the officially-released VHS/DVDs, I have the Youtube videos of their glory years etc. Anything they release from 85-93, I will have a serious interest in... but it's over. I have no interest in watching an overweight, sixty-year-old Axl Rose with extreme vocal damage slowly wobble around the stage in clothes that befit a man in his mid-twenties, completely unable to sing his own songs correctly. Ditto for the rest of the guys. They're old, tired and attempting to play a role that was written for drugged-up, pissed off, socially-rejected men in their mid-to-late twenties... and it shows... a lot... and I don't care for it. That's not what I got into this band for, and if they had been this version of themselves back in the late eighties, they never would have gotten a record deal and no one would have cared.

But yes, there's millions of people out there who are willing to pay huge chunks of money to get drunk on crummy, over-priced draft beer and squint at the stage and play make-believe like it's the late eighties or early nineties again for three hours because they can't let go.

I went once in 2016 because it was a bucket-list thing (I could have gone in 1992, but since I wasn't old enough to drive, my mom was able to stop me), and it was literally  (for me), a sad, sobering experience.

I'll never do it again.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nintari said:

I said figuratively.

For me, the band is finished. They're now in Zeppelin territory. I have the records, I have the memories, I have the officially-released VHS/DVDs, I have the Youtube videos of their glory years etc. Anything they release from 85-93, I will have a serious interest in... but it's over. I have no interest in watching an overweight, sixty-year-old Axl Rose with extreme vocal damage slowly wobble around the stage in clothes that befit a man in his mid-twenties, completely unable to sing his own songs correctly. Ditto for the rest of the guys. They're old, tired and attempting to play a role that was written for drugged-up, pissed off, socially-rejected men in their mid-to-late twenties... and it shows... a lot... and I don't care for it. That's not what I got into this band for, and if they had been this version of themselves back in the late eighties, they never would have gotten a record deal and no one would have cared.

But yes, there's millions of people out there who are willing to pay huge chunks of money to get drunk on crummy, over-priced draft beer and squint at the stage and play make-believe like it's the late eighties or early nineties again for three hours because they can't let go.

I went once in 2016 because it was a bucket-list thing (I could have gone in 1992, but since I wasn't old enough to drive, my mom was able to stop me), and it was literally  (for me), a sad, sobering experience.

I'll never do it again.

Agree to all of this. If this band took steps forward with their presentation and new music that better reflected where they are now it'd be somewhat different. People might take issue with how blunt your post seems but I see no lies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nintari said:

I said figuratively.

I'll never do it again.

While you’re generally right, it begs a question what are you expecting from them in 2023 when you already didn’t like them in 2016. 
Oh and I’m not one of those obnoxious "stop complaining" assholes – complain your heart out if you like. But they’re not getting any better. Are you in just for a potential album? The old CDII stuff?