Least favorite thing since Slash/Duff returned…

I think, as always, with GN'R, it could have been better.

Understood the initial silence and mystique but they could have branded themselves in such a strong way after that. New music, proper interviews and promotion, more interesting ways of touring. Instead it's just petered out. 

Maybe two years in was the way to do it. World tours, we're back.. then onto stage two. 

They're clearly now a legacy act but not even playing the role of that particularly well.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, mystery said:

Another thing: After having such a grudge against him for so many years Axl is seemingly content with letting Slash be the spokesman of the band. Axl never talks or gives updates on the progress of the band. The captain of the ship has no direction outside touring and if he does its not communicated. Its also pretty nuts that in nearly 7 years together again we haven't had a joint Axl/Slash interview.

When would anyone ever get a chance to ask Axl something regarding GNR?? He doesn't do interviews. Slash does interviews about himself/conspirators. He's no spokesman. Just has his own life besides GNR.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

When would anyone ever get a chance to ask Axl something regarding GNR?? He doesn't do interviews. Slash does interviews about himself/conspirators. He's no spokesman. Just has his own life besides GNR.

Guns N' Roses is literally his band though that he strong armed back in the day to take control over. Compared to other artists its pathetic how little he actually communicates about the band. He was better with this during the Nu Guns era but outside 2016-17 we really haven't heard from him outside social media posts. The fact is he doesn't have to because touring every year is a money making machine.

Artistic bankruptcy: Stoic setlist with too many covers and jams regardless of who wants to play, sing or hear that shit. The last time Axl put out new music was 15 years ago. Shadow Of Your Love was officially released as a b-side in the early 90's. Absurd is Silkworms reworked, a song first performed in 2001. Hard Skool is an outtake/leftover from Chinese Democracy. KOHD is three hours too long. The covers they do all suck and the ones that don't suck never get played. That 3+ hour show they put on is basically 90 minutes of bullshit and 90 minutes of good music, half of which by far exceeding the current range of Axl's voice. Changes? Not in this lifetime.

Selling out: Supporting political correctness and political censorship by omitting "One In A Million" from the AFD/Lies box set as if it never happened instead of standing up for free speech and artistic freedom. If Axl and Slash had half a brain and just one ball combined left, they would have made one single profound statement on stage together, performed the song right after and donated 100% of that night to a charity against racism, perhaps even founded a new charity to raise awareness and help victims of racism and named it "One In A Million" and by that transform the whole bullshit around that song into something positive and of actual value. But hey - whose bread I eat, their song I sing. Spineless cowards with shadows taller than their souls.

Ukraine flag: God forbid letting people have a break from the horrors of reality for just a few hours at a concert! I would respect that gesture of solidarity a lot more if they would have released a song (any song for that matter, even a re-release of "Civil War" would have done the job alright) and promoted peace and negotiations instead of taking sides in a war that kills people on a daily basis, donating 100% of that release to charity to help the actual refugees instead of making the politically correct flag an integral and unavoidable part of their show and stage design without any public comment of actual thought and substance aside from Axl's brainfarts on Twitter.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

That they decided to not re-record those CD era songs from the ground up 

I hope they don't. In particular Buckethead + Robin Finck solos on CD era material must stay as is. The structure of CD solos was something completely different than what Slash does. It just doesn't fit him both technically and emotionally.

Hardschool & Silkworms were completely ruined in the new EP, partially due to the mix but also Slash's rewriting of guitar parts.

However I'm all for brand new songs from the reunion trio.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

The structure of CD solos was something completely different than what Slash does. It just doesn't fit him both technically and emotionally.

This plus he just can not play any of that material properly. He's had plenty of time and opportunities to prove otherwise since 2016, but either he is taking the piss on the material on purpose or he really is just a one trick pony poser on guitar. I think it's a mix of both. There's bedroom recorders on YouTube playing these solos with more heart and skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

Artistic bankruptcy: Stoic setlist with too many covers and jams regardless of who wants to play, sing or hear that shit. The last time Axl put out new music was 15 years ago. Shadow Of Your Love was officially released as a b-side in the early 90's. Absurd is Silkworms reworked, a song first performed in 2001. Hard Skool is an outtake/leftover from Chinese Democracy. KOHD is three hours too long. The covers they do all suck and the ones that don't suck never get played. That 3+ hour show they put on is basically 90 minutes of bullshit and 90 minutes of good music, half of which by far exceeding the current range of Axl's voice. Changes? Not in this lifetime.

Selling out: Supporting political correctness and political censorship by omitting "One In A Million" from the AFD/Lies box set as if it never happened instead of standing up for free speech and artistic freedom. If Axl and Slash had half a brain and just one ball combined left, they would have made one single profound statement on stage together, performed the song right after and donated 100% of that night to a charity against racism, perhaps even founded a new charity to raise awareness and help victims of racism and named it "One In A Million" and by that transform the whole bullshit around that song into something positive and of actual value. But hey - whose bread I eat, their song I sing. Spineless cowards with shadows taller than their souls.

Ukraine flag: God forbid letting people have a break from the horrors of reality for just a few hours at a concert! I would respect that gesture of solidarity a lot more if they would have released a song (any song for that matter, even a re-release of "Civil War" would have done the job alright) and promoted peace and negotiations instead of taking sides in a war that kills people on a daily basis, donating 100% of that release to charity to help the actual refugees instead of making the politically correct flag an integral and unavoidable part of their show and stage design without any public comment of actual thought and substance aside from Axl's brainfarts on Twitter.

Spot on.

50 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

This plus he just can not play any of that material properly. He's had plenty of time and opportunities to prove otherwise since 2016, but either he is taking the piss on the material on purpose or he really is just a one trick pony poser on guitar. I think it's a mix of both. There's bedroom recorders on YouTube playing these solos with more heart and skills.

But the thing is, he doesn't have to prove anything and when he doesn't feel like playing it note for note, he won't and no one is gonna make him. He doesn't even play his own stuff note for note, so why would he do someone elses?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, James Bond said:

I've never interpreted the Rocket Queen tease as a Riad tease. Both songs just happen to start on E to F# in succession. I think it's happenstance more than intentional. Duff's bass does a very similar thing when it comes in - even on the studio version.

Interesting. Live, it sounded exactly like Riad. I remember saying to my dad, who had no clue about the CD material, “riad and the Bedouin’s?!?” Which confused him just as much that I was already that slash played it. Funny coincidence if slash didn’t even have a clue about Riad lol. Can’t imagine they ever rehearsed that one.. 

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

But the thing is, he doesn't have to prove anything and when he doesn't feel like playing it note for note, he won't and no one is gonna make him. He doesn't even play his own stuff note for note, so why would he do someone elses?

Well, just because you're a famous guitar player doesn't mean it's a pass to butchering the songs. 76 year old David Gilmour doesn't have to prove anything either.

On the other hand I understand. When Axl sings like shit, why shouldn't Slash play like shit? People are gonna buy tickets regardless right?

6 hours ago, mystery said:

Another thing: After having such a grudge against him for so many years Axl is seemingly content with letting Slash be the spokesman of the band. Axl never talks or gives updates on the progress of the band. The captain of the ship has no direction outside touring and if he does its not communicated. Its also pretty nuts that in nearly 7 years together again we hS8aven't had a joint Axl/Slash interview.

Slash and Duff was always GNR spokesman, in the old days too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Slash and Duff was always GNR spokesman, in the old days too.

They were but Axl would also occasionally speak and give interviews. Even from 2001-2014 he'd occasionally do TV, print, and radio interviews.

He'd be on Jimmy Kimmel and That Metal Show or make appearances at awards shows but he just doesn't do those things anymore.

Its why I roll my eyes when anyone other than Axl gives interviews regarding the band because none of them are in the driver's seat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mystery said:

They were but Axl would also occasionally speak and give interviews. Even from 2001-2014 he'd occasionally do TV, print, and radio interviews.

He'd be on Jimmy Kimmel and That Metal Show or make appearances at awards shows but he just doesn't do those things anymore.

Its why I roll my eyes when anyone other than Axl gives interviews regarding the band because none of them are in the driver's seat.

I interpret it like more pass time Axl turn more insecure about intervews. He was recluse many years. Slash and Duff are more "normals" about be interactives.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I interpret it like more pass time Axl turn more insecure about intervews. He was recluse many years. Slash and Duff are more "normals" about be interactives.

Duff and Slash are more seasoned in interviews, they can talk for a half hour and not say anything. They are basically politicians🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mystery said:

But no one gives interviews regarding the band. They give interviews regarding themselves and get asked about the band.

2 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Well, just because you're a famous guitar player doesn't mean it's a pass to butchering the songs. 76 year old David Gilmour doesn't have to prove anything either.

On the other hand I understand. When Axl sings like shit, why shouldn't Slash play like shit? People are gonna buy tickets regardless right?

Well, that's your opinion. Majority seems to disagree. He plays those songs good enough.

• Like 1

As much as I have liked this reunion, there are a couple of things that have bothered me a bit. I would love to see Axl, Slash and Duff sit for an interview. This hasn't happened, yet for the three of them. I do agree that back in the day, it was mostly Slash and Duff doing the talking with Axl doing some interviews The second thing is that I thought more new music would have occurred by  now. That hasn't happened either.  The third thing is that I'm hoping that Axl continues to interact more with the audience. I loved the Axl rants when I attended the shows in the 90s. Hammerstein and Izod shows were not that much. 2016 and 2017 shows were non existent with interaction. The 2021 show had seemed like Axl was more interactive and happy. 

• Like 2

The setlists. Most casual GNR fans filling the seats know 10 songs at most. They're there for Jungle, Knockin, Sweet Child, November Rain, Live and Let Die, Paradise City, etc. There's absolutely no reason why the other dozen songs or so shouldn't have been switched up with every new leg/year within the same country. Also, ditch the weird covers. It's fine to do Wichita or Black Hole Sun for a while, but we don't need them being mainstays like The Seeker.

I've followed this whole reunion but admittedly went to just one show because I wanted to keep that happy memory of the reunion and not let it wear out. Cincinnati 2016 was too good to tarnish with the voice going downhill steadily since 2016 and the setlist barely changing.

• Like 1

The fact that I now wish it didn't happen. 

I'm 32. I didn't get a chance to see them in their day. I didn't think I'd ever get to see Slash and Axl on the same stage. I did. It was great. 

But then nothing happened. The band is just going through the motions. There's nothing to be excited about. There's all these teases. Slash citing new music. Shows being recorded. None of that matters when none of it sees the light of day. In retrospect I wish instead Axl kept NuGNR and did the next album that was supposedly in the cannon in 2015. I hate that were probably waiting for Axl's passing to probably hear all these songs we've only heard about for 20 years. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

But with the likes of Beyonce it's less jarring. Prices just went up gradually tour after tour, but with GNR everyone of the alumni and "GNR" itself had decent prices in the years between '93 and '16 and we all kept them afloat, supporting their various prices. Then they get back together and boom, we have to pay ticketprices 3 times as high, than what they were before. That too me is the most annoying thing. There was no need to jack up prices like that. It should be enough for them that instead of arenas they now can play stadiums again a make more money per show. There was no need to also raise the fee they are getting on top of that. And no, it's not just Ticketmaster that is to blame for this. All the prices start with what the artist is getting. If an artist is making 3 mio per show, that dictates what ticketprices will be.

Ticketmaster are absolutely to blame for much of it. Are you aware of the Platinum Artist policy?

In terms of GNR jacking prices - they’re charging pretty much the same as any other band. Def Leppard & Motley Crue are charging even more. At the end of the day, a partially reformed GNR is a bigger pull than Axl & Friends for the vast majority of people/fans - so the price reflects that. This isn’t a specific GNR issue. This is an industry issue IMO.

Ticket prices everywhere are disgraceful. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AtlasShrugged said:

I think, as always, with GN'R, it could have been better.

Understood the initial silence and mystique but they could have branded themselves in such a strong way after that. New music, proper interviews and promotion, more interesting ways of touring. Instead it's just petered out. 

Maybe two years in was the way to do it. World tours, we're back.. then onto stage two. 

They're clearly now a legacy act but not even playing the role of that particularly well.

Totally agree. Another round of stadiums, one per country, generally, is pretty frustrating. I appreciate their age and the need to get around the world. But they’ve done the same thing 3 times now. I suspect they’re gonna milk it as many times as possible then disappear with one last retirement tour.