Gig Day v Tour Truck T-shirt differences.

Thought some folks would like to see these pictures that show the difference in print quality on the gig day tees compared to the ones available on the tour truck.

Apart from the print being on the reverse on the gig day tees, the supplier is different too.  Not that much difference in quality, but the gig day tees are slightly heavier and courser. The print quality was surprising, with the gig day tees being much more vivid, with metallic colours making it pop a little more. 

Tour truck tee on right. 

3A36C8A8-B3B8-4BF7-A060-BBB6BF58C49E.jpeg

Tour truck tee on top. 

29CB8A5D-5C91-4AEC-A10E-514980556AB9.jpeg

Interesting comparison, thanks. For perspective I’ve bought a generic Euro tour shirt from a gig and the quality is poor, not what they they were like in ‘17-‘18. The gildan ones are much better, I bought a BST Hyde park shirt and it’s by Gildan and I feel as if I may actually be able to wear that one.

The “heavier, coarser” ones are much better, which you seem to be saying are the ones from the gig, I’m confused. My one from the gig is flimsy and cloth like, the gildan Hyde Park one is better.

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

GNRMERCHTRUCk is 100 per cent official. 

They aren't labelled as GNR shirts, Gildan are a cheap and nasty brand..the official stuff sold at gigs are Guns branded and can not be bought on merch truck, nothing at a gig is sold on there...its all different ! 

Look at the photos, quality is a huge difference 

10 minutes ago, DSTK said:

They aren't labelled as GNR shirts, Gildan are a cheap and nasty brand..the official stuff sold at gigs are Guns branded and can not be bought on merch truck, nothing at a gig is sold on there...its all different ! 

It's official merchandise. Whether the quality is different is another issue - but it is absolutely official. 

Saying it isn't is simply not true. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

33 minutes ago, DSTK said:

That's disappointing. Especially since they are advertising the tour truck at each show. Oddly enough though, it says that it is closed and will open again, once they are on tour. What??!

57 minutes ago, DSTK said:

That’s not true, the break-thru Europe design and all the other tour tees are the same quality from both gig and tour truck. Same manufacturer too.  It’s just the specific litho design gig day tees that are made by Gildan on the tour truck. Tour truck merch is 100% official. 

20 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

That's disappointing. Especially since they are advertising the tour truck at each show. Oddly enough though, it says that it is closed and will open again, once they are on tour. What??!

It’s only open on gig days. 

Edited by Oxford

18 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

It is official, just a bit different.

It will vary though. Merch is usually printed to order by fairly local companies, to be delivered to each venue to keep transport costs low.  The stuff on the Merch Truck site will all be coming from a central printing depot so inevitably different. 

To be honest, I think the shirts from that merch truck actually look a bit better. Fairly sure the ones from gigs are Gildan anyway, looking at mine, although they look like the labels have been cut off. 

Ultimately though, I prefer the prints being on the front. Not that I'm ordering any anyway, as I don't want shirts from gigs I didn't go to! 

41 minutes ago, Oxford said:

It’s only open on gig days. 

Well, then they should change the wording. And what's the point. You have to sit in the stadium to order the stuff. You can't do it once you got home?

33 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah. Obviously. They are advertising it. It's disappointing that there is a difference in quality.

46 minutes ago, Oxford said:

That’s not true, the break-thru Europe design and all the other tour tees are the same quality from both gig and tour truck. Same manufacturer too.  It’s just the specific litho design gig day tees that are made by Gildan on the tour truck. Tour truck merch is 100% official. 

No they aren't, I have a shirt from Hyde park infront of me, and the glasto shirt too from the truck, difference in print quality & so on is massive, even the cotton quality is different , Gildan aren't fantastic ! , they do not make the official stuff on sale at the merch tents at shows

6 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well, then they should change the wording. And what's the point. You have to sit in the stadium to order the stuff. You can't do it once you got home?

Yeah. Obviously. They are advertising it. It's disappointing that there is a difference in quality.

Huge difference 

24 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Because it’s open worldwide for people not at the gigs too.  You can order when you get home. It’s open for 24 hours on all gig days. 

The other main difference I forgot to mention is the litho artwork is printed on the front from the truck, but on the back from the gigs.  With the front having a small left breast print and gig specific artwork again.

22C7A829-AB6C-4779-8F1B-33A833124985.jpeg

There is a bit of a difference from what I noticed. When GNR was at MetLife Stadium 2 years ago, I wanted a  GNR shirt that  had NY Giants colors on it with a football. The shirt was sold out in my size so I had to get the AFD cross GNR shirt. I then bought the GNR/NY Giants shirt through the tour truck merchandise website.  The shirt I bought at MetLife is definitely a higher quality than the one from the tour truck website. I mostly wear the GNR/NY Giants shirt, though, since I want to keep the other  for a long time. 

I got the gig shirt from Hershey in 2021 and it was the smallest shirt I ever got. The other tour shirt I got in the same size was a natural fit and fit perfect but the gig shirt was literally 2 sizes too small. So I gave that shirt to my girl and bought one in a bigger size from the tour truck.

The image is pretty much the same on both shirts, but there was no metallic ink or anything so it was a more natural image. I would imagine on the shirts with special ink like the one shared above the cheap out from the tour truck.  I would say the quality of both shirts is pretty comparable. I wear my shirt all the time and have no issues with it. I also like having the image on the front more so it works for me.

I will say ordering from the tour truck was a nightmare.

Okay, disregarding some differences in print designs for the event shirts, and based on what some have said, print quality too...the designs on all but one of the non-event shrits are exactly the same.

Arguably the designs should just be the same for the event shirts anyway, but whatever.

And the merch is official from the truck.

On 7/9/2023 at 3:09 PM, DSTK said:

Also this thing about the actual garments/shirts themselves being super different is really speculation and likely not true at all.

Yes they have a printed label instead of a tag. However, the tags can just be removed. The shirts from the gig say 'made in Bangladesh', on the printer neck label. Guess where the Gildan shirts are made according to the tag...

...Bangladesh. 😉

Gildan is the most common brand nowadays for shirts used to print band merch on. If it feels slightly different, it is most likely just a different variation - i.e. Instead of Gildan Softstyle, it could be Gildan Heavy cotton.

All the merch will use Gildan or some other basic shirt brand (such as Fruit of the Loom), this idea people have gotten that suddenly the stuff from a show is printed onto a massively better quality of garment with some ultra high quality fabric is a bit crazy tbh.

Band merch at all shows is printed onto basic tees, for minimum cost and max profit. That's simply fact. It's where they make their money. We pay a premium because we want official merch, simple as that.

Edited by sploit

I honestly can’t tell much difference in material quality on both variations, they both feel more than acceptable to me.  The event day tee slightly softer.  Yeah, the print quality on the event tee is more vibrant and vivid, but I’m not unhappy with the merch truck version at all.  Image is on the front, which I prefer. I like that they’re different. Makes getting the gig day version more special. If you can get one on the day anyway. 

• Like 1

I ordered the Glasgow event tee from the Merch Truck, simply because it had sold out at the venue after the gig. As I was gold circle etc, I didn't go to the merch stand before the gig as I didn't wanna lose my spot (was on barrier). My Merch Truck event shirt seems decent enough to me too.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sploit said:

I ordered the Glasgow event tee from the Merch Truck, simply because it had sold out at the venue after the gig. As I was gold circle etc, I didn't go to the merch stand before the gig as I didn't wanna lose my spot (was on barrier). My Merch Truck event shirt seems decent enough to me too.

Again, it isn't the same shirt as the one sold at the gig, print on the front on the cheap and nasty Gildan one, opposed to the reverse of the gig show shirt, can't buy them anywhere else 

The colour quality, print and cotton quality on a merchtruck v gig shirt is big 

On 7/9/2023 at 4:10 PM, allwaystired said:

It will vary though. Merch is usually printed to order by fairly local companies, to be delivered to each venue to keep transport costs low.  The stuff on the Merch Truck site will all be coming from a central printing depot so inevitably different. 

To be honest, I think the shirts from that merch truck actually look a bit better. Fairly sure the ones from gigs are Gildan anyway, looking at mine, although they look like the labels have been cut off. 

Ultimately though, I prefer the prints being on the front. Not that I'm ordering any anyway, as I don't want shirts from gigs I didn't go to! 

Agree, front printed tees are much better

Are they cheaper on the merch truck? I got a tee at hyde park, but £40-45 for a t shirt is just criminally insane. The quality is good without being top of the range. but £45 for a vest top blew my mind. 

Edited by JimiRose

18 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Agree, front printed tees are much better

Are they cheaper on the merch truck? I got a tee at hyde park, but £40-45 for a t shirt is just criminally insane. The quality is good without being top of the range. but £45 for a vest top blew my mind. 

Same price. £40 a shirt. A positive bargain compared to Kiss the other night.....£45 a shirt, £60 a long sleeve, programmes for £35 and £200 a jacket! 

Wash it down with a pint of the  cheapest beer on sale. Only £8.50! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Haha 1