"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

Regardless of a leak, I thought they would be playing it live by now. Gotta be playing it live by the 19th, surely

I’m not so sure. I see they have a show on the day the single is being shipped. There’s a chance it could be played then imo 

Edited by gavgnr
  • PERHAPS 1

6 hours ago, scottish nutter said:

if its anything like hardskool then the new verson will be a big downgrade on the cd era version

That’s the worst case. Absurd wasn’t a butcher job like Hard Skool, and Perhaps was done fairly well too. Gives me a little hope.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sweersa said:

It would be amazing if the CD era version leaked so we can hear it properly before the NITL version is officially released. 

Someone has it im sure and is just hoarding it for whatever reason.

Edited by Carnal894x
  • Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not played live anytime soon. We can’t lose track that it is a B-side. Traditionally, B-sides and non-album tracks aren’t performed live. Hard Skool and Absurd didn’t have actual B-side tracks. And Perhaps isn’t being promoted as Perhaps/The General. It’s very much all about the A-side with the promotion there. Likewise wouldn’t be surprised if the next B-side isn’t performed live.  Maybe the plan is to put the more unconventional NITL Guns songs as B-sides just to release them  

Obviously it’s GnR and anything goes. The mystique of the song, Richard’s quote, and the setlist mentions seem to indicate it’ll be played live. But if it was any other band I wouldn’t hold my breath on a B-side being played live. 

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not played live anytime soon. We can’t lose track that it is a B-side. Traditionally, B-sides and non-album tracks aren’t performed live. Hard Skool and Absurd didn’t have actual B-side tracks. And Perhaps isn’t being promoted as Perhaps/The General. It’s very much all about the A-side with the promotion there. Likewise wouldn’t be surprised if the next B-side isn’t performed live.  Maybe the plan is to put the more unconventional NITL Guns songs as B-sides just to release them  

Obviously it’s GnR and anything goes. The mystique of the song, Richard’s quote, and the setlist mentions seem to indicate it’ll be played live. But if it was any other band I wouldn’t hold my breath on a B-side being played live. 

But..... How about Fernando saying its a monster.... Wouldn't that indicate they like it? 

I quite like the fact The General is a B side, it may even help it's cult status, which I believe the band/band management is well aware of.

B sides are designed to help support the A side and are not always a reflection of the songs quality. Just because it's a B side does not make it a throwaway song. A lot of bands would write songs with the intention of them being a B side. I also think that B sides are sometimes an ode to the die hard fans as well; yeah a single is aimed at trying to attract new fans but before the days of streaming and downloading I used to enjoy going out and buying my favourite bands singles, just so I could get my hand on the B side(s), and unless the single had massive exposure and appeal via radio, it would mostly be the bands fans buying anyway, to get that B side. 

The way it's being released, is almost a nod to the ways things used to be done, and I kind of dig that. Even it means I will need to get The General via 'other means'. 

Edited by mr.flibble
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bumbleslash69 said:

Welcome to the jungle-b side Mr Brownstone. Sweet child o’mine -b side it’s so easy. Patience - b side rocket queen. You could be mine-b side civil war…

19 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

the opening minutes of this video does not contain a snippet of the general.

You may be right and may be wrong. These intros have elements of GN'R songs.

This is what shacklermyrye said over EVO

They stuck a video up on youtube promoting Powertrip. The audio is close to the video they did promoting Glastonbury. At the time they put that one up I asked the company that made it where the audio came from and they told me it was made from "Elements of GNR music".

Parts of it I could make out, like CD drums buried way down in the mix but most of it was evil sounding strings stuff that sounded like it had been heavily manipulated. I kind of wondered at the time if maybe some of it might be from unreleased stuff. Given most of it was unrecognizable it seemed likely.

57 sec into this one right at the end before it cuts off if you listen through earphone's it sounds (to my ears at least) like it is just starting to go into the same evil strings sounding part. The note it ends on seems the same as the first note from the low cello sounding shit from the 2006 tour intro.

Probably just hearing things.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

You may be right and may be wrong. These intros have elements of GN'R songs.

This is what shacklermyrye said over EVO

They stuck a video up on youtube promoting Powertrip. The audio is close to the video they did promoting Glastonbury. At the time they put that one up I asked the company that made it where the audio came from and they told me it was made from "Elements of GNR music".

Parts of it I could make out, like CD drums buried way down in the mix but most of it was evil sounding strings stuff that sounded like it had been heavily manipulated. I kind of wondered at the time if maybe some of it might be from unreleased stuff. Given most of it was unrecognizable it seemed likely.

57 sec into this one right at the end before it cuts off if you listen through earphone's it sounds (to my ears at least) like it is just starting to go into the same evil strings sounding part. The note it ends on seems the same as the first note from the low cello sounding shit from the 2006 tour intro.

Probably just hearing things.

This

it starts sounding very similar to the General intro in 2006 then it cuts into the Intro they use live then it ends with again something similar to The General intro. thats what im hearing after about 10 listens

2 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

They just played a snippet of The General in their latest video

No they haven't, plus you've never heard it so how he hell would you be able to tell ? 

They may not even play it live, it's only been released as a B side on vinyl, not even as a single on its own 

31 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Wishful thinking

I'd prefer to listen to the real thing:

This also contains the parts which were unheard before, it was removed from SoundCloud.

Wow! Its soo good, lets hope they have not trashed the orchestra -  let part of this be the intro and let the song be 8+ minutes :)