Hollywood Bowl November 2, 2023

On 10/11/2023 at 9:01 PM, Rovim said:

yes and not many people liked it, but they kept playing it anyway, maybe more for themselves. Same shit could happen with The General even if it's "just" a B side. A B side could be a quality tune or a tune that Axl really likes. Why else would he release it, but I guess time will tell.

It's more popular now as a live track, it's one of the ones they absolutely nail 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DSTK said:

It's more popular now as a live track, it's one of the ones they absolutely nail 

yeah it's a really fun track live imo, it rocks. Not sure if it's more popular now, maybe you're right. The energy of Absurd live is pretty explosive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I'm gonna make a prediction that some folk will think is mad. These dates will be the last ever in USA with this complete band intact....

that is highly unlikely imo. what made you come to this conclusion, if you don't mind me asking? 

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think you're mad. 

I'm not necessarily talking of Slash or Duff leaving ya know...I said THIS band, so could mean anyone...

You wouldn't of said that 10 years ago when the band fractured every month or so ...

Just a feeling we're hitting a crossroads....it's in Axl's hands really.  Album or....

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

that is highly unlikely imo. what made you come to this conclusion, if you don't mind me asking? 

56 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

Talking nonsense for the sake of it 

Not exactly....we're allowed opinions on a forum board, aren't we Sir Shrugged?

Edited by colonizedmind

6 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I'm not necessarily talking of Slash or Duff leaving ya know...I said THIS band, so could mean anyone...

You wouldn't of said that 10 years ago when the band fractured every month or so ...

Just a feeling we're hitting a crossroads....it's in Axl's hands really.  Album or....

album or bust? I don't really see it. The main attraction is what Gn'R did in the past, so there is still demand for Gn'R as a nostalgia act and Axl said he wants to keep Gn'R going as long as possible. If anything, there is an improvement cause at least Axl is choosing to release at least some material, and there is even a music video for Perhaps so not sure what you mean by hitting a crossroad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

album or bust? I don't really see it. The main attraction is what Gn'R did in the past, so there is still demand for Gn'R as a nostalgia act and Axl said he wants to keep Gn'R going as long as possible. If anything, there is an improvement cause at least Axl is choosing to release at least some material, and there is even a music video for Perhaps so not sure what you mean by hitting a crossroad.

Not as dramatic as "instant" bust....but a gradually insidious dissatisfaction that eventually will lead to either an abrupt end or splintering...I mean I look to history, as we usually learn from what went before and what it tells us ....however they may just not give a shit anymore and it'll all continue happliy no questions asked...time will tell

Melissa is young, I certainly can see her leaving and going onto different  ventures....Or other Interesting doors opening from this platform and as has been discussed recently on the "bash Tommy" thread, Axl don't wait for anyone, if you can't answer the call, someone will...

And that's a big part of why we've even got a reunion IMO...

Edited by colonizedmind

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

It has felt like we're at a crossroads at very many points since 2016, most notably after the LA Forum shows. Every time the announced dates come to an end it feels the same. 

People always say "feels like it has to be something new or the end".....then they just hit us with another tour. I can't see it stopping now for a long time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Not as dramatic as "instant" bust....but a gradually insidious dissatisfaction that eventually will lead to either an abrupt end or splintering...I mean I look to history, as we usually learn from what went before and what it tells us ....however they may just not give a shit anymore and it'll all continue happliy no questions asked...time will tell

Melissa is young, I certainly can see her leaving and going onto different  ventures....Or other Interesting doors opening from this platform and as has been discussed recently on the "bash Tommy" thread, Axl don't wait for anyone, if you can't answer the call, someone will...

And that's a big part of why we've even got a reunion IMO...

it's good to look to the past to make an educated guess sometimes, but also to look at what happens currently which I think is that this lineup seems very stable and if a band member for whatever reason should choose to leave and its not Axl, Slash, and to maybe a lesser extent Duff, the show can still go on. Also, there is still a lot of money to be made, Axl seems to enjoy himself and there isn't another band that can provide quite the same experience like Gn'R can still deliver.

the most problematic aspect in my eyes is Axl's diminishing vocal ability but that can be dealt with imo at least for the next few years it shouldn't be a deal breaker with most casuals.

• Like 1

I can't see any band member choosing to leave the gravy train via choice. 

What on earth else would Melissa, Frank or Richard do that would give them anywhere near the income and lifestyle they have now? 

The only thing that would cause them to leave would be some sort of artistic desire, but Richard is a lifelong 'session guy' who's done everything from Thin Lizzy to Enrique Inglesis, Frank seems happy with a similar status as does Melissa. None of them seem very driven to 'create' anything. 

The most likely to leave is probably Slash, and I can't see that happening ever either. 

• Like 1

Why would Slash ever leave GnR, again? They’re like VH, Sabbath, Rush, Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Stones etc. Mega legacy acts that can play huge venues for the rest of their career. Some release(d) music, some don’t, but most fans just want the hits, anyways.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Why would Slash ever leave GnR, again? They’re like VH, Sabbath, Rush, Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Stones etc. Mega legacy acts that can play huge venues for the rest of their career. Some release(d) music, some don’t, but most fans just want the hits, anyways.

Oh I don't think he would at all.....just that of the whole band he'd be the one most likely to I think. 

2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

The band is the most stable it's ever been, the current lineup is the longest-serving group (not speaking of individuals) the band has ever had, and it's making practically infinite amounts of money, and yet out of nowhere someone's going to leave and break the current lineup? 😂

There have been some truly ridiculous takes on this forum in recent years, but that tops the lot. Sorry, but that has to be the single dumbest theory I've ever read about this band 😂

Well it's turned more to band members leaving but my initial thinking was much more the ending of the band AND it's just a feeling. Chill guys! I mean, it's gonna happen eventually....live gigs have become very hard for Axl post COVID and I don't think anyone's gonna say otherwise. I've enjoyed some moments but that's it....moments is what he's capable of and less of them as the years go on. That's not sustainable and the hard sell (ticket wise) USA tour shows that finally after 7 years, everyone that really wanted to easily fill a stadium for them, has done. So yes, something...be it a big Interview with Slash, a biopic, an album...something has to move them on as ya see guys, it may be a choice taken out of their hands....promoters will not keep booking stadiums (this has been talked a lot about) 

Well folks have had Axl thinking about retirement for years as a point....

The reunion definately prolonged that....but vocal deterioration and non recovery like he used to in the past (2006/7, 2010, 2016) will eventually be his undoing, even if he's as stubborn as we know. So while recent history tell us, this ain't got a finish line....truth is, we'll be close to a decade in soon and logic says, sooner or later it'll be all over. 

Does anyone think they'll still be going like the Stones? Like we all hoped at the beginning? Well even they have found the need/want to put out a new album, to top up on the relevance appeal....it's working. I wish Guns went back to taking some 🌿 outta there book....

Anyway, sure about 5 minutes after I click post, they'll announce another leg for the hungry masses that wanna see the show again for the 7th time...(I did think the set lists were a good step forward by-the-way)

Edited by colonizedmind

11 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

I'm gonna make a prediction that some folk will think is mad. These dates will be the last ever in USA with this complete band intact....

I wouldn't say last ever but not a completely crazy thought either. Axls voice isn't going to get better and I don't know how motivated he really is to release music or keep touring. 

I think Slash would love to get a few more albums out in his lifetime as well and that's hard in Guns. 

I think they'll come back in 2025 for another run but no guarantees where it goes from there. 

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Well it's turned more to band members leaving but my initial thinking was much more the ending of the band AND it's just a feeling. Chill guys! I mean, it's gonna happen eventually....live gigs have become very hard for Axl post COVID and I don't think anyone's gonna say otherwise. I've enjoyed some moments but that's it....moments is what he's capable of and less of them as the years go on. That's not sustainable and the hard sell (ticket wise) USA tour shows that finally after 7 years, everyone that really wanted to easily fill a stadium for them, has done. So yes, something...be it a big Interview with Slash, a biopic, an album...something has to move them on as ya see guys, it may be a choice taken out of their hands....promoters will not keep booking stadiums (this has been talked a lot about) 

Well folks have had Axl thinking about retirement for years as a point....

The reunion definately prolonged that....but vocal deterioration and non recovery like he used to in the past (2007/7, 2010, 2016) will eventually be his undoing, even if he's as stubborn as we know. So while recent history tell us, this ain't got a finish line....truth is, we'll be close to a decade in soon and logic says, sooner or later it'll be all over. 

Does anyone think they'll still be going like the Stones? Like we all hoped at the beginning? Well even they have found the need/want to put out a new album, to top up on the relevance appeal....it's working. I wish Guna went back to taking some 🌿 outta there book....

Anyway, sure about 5 minutes after I click post, they'll announce another leg for the hungry masses that wanna see the show again for the 7th time...(I did think the set lists were a good step forward by-the-way)

To put things a little bit into perspective regarding playing stadiums, as big as GN'R were during the UYI era, they were not a stadium band in the US. They were playing stadiums in Europe and South America, but were playing arenas in the US. The only stadium shows they played then in the US were the ones with Metallica. In this regard, the NITL band has been a bigger touring act than the UYI band.

So it wouldn't be a big deal if they went back to playing arenas in the US - few bands are able to fill stadiums there anyway, especially rock bands - and I think they still would be able to play stadiums in the other parts of the world.

If they stop touring at one point, it won't be because they won't be able to sell stadiums or because of someone quitting. The only reason for that to happen would be Axl's voice.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

The band is the most stable it's ever been, the current lineup is the longest-serving group (not speaking of individuals) the band has ever had, and it's making practically infinite amounts of money, and yet out of nowhere someone's going to leave and break the current lineup? 😂

There have been some truly ridiculous takes on this forum in recent years, but that tops the lot. Sorry, but that has to be the single dumbest theory I've ever read about this band 😂

You're assuming that stability, longevity and financial viability are all that matters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

To put things a little bit into perspective regarding playing stadiums, as big as GN'R were during the UYI era, they were not a stadium band in the US. They were playing stadiums in Europe and South America, but were playing arenas in the US. The only stadium shows they played then in the US were the ones with Metallica. In this regard, the NITL band has been a biggest touring act than the UYI band.

So it wouldn't be a big deal if they went back to playing arenas in the US - few bands are able to fill stadiums there anyway, especially rock bands - and I think they still would be able to play stadiums in the other parts of the world.

If they stop touring at one point, it won't be because they won't be able to sell stadiums or because of someone quitting. The only reason for that to happen would be Axl's voice.

I just checked the '92 dates for the US, and they certainly played some stadiums on that leg.

14 minutes ago, Nintari said:

I just checked the '92 dates for the US, and they certainly played some stadiums on that leg.

Yes, the shows with Metallica. That was my point, that they played stadiums only on that joint tour. GN'R and Metallica could fill stadiums together, but not on their own.

From a quick look, they played two stadium shows in the US in 1991, but all the other shows of that year were in arenas or amphitheaters.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, the shows with Metallica. That was my point, that they played stadiums only on that joint tour. GN'R and Metallica could fill stadiums together, but not on their own.

Yes...but like how we adjust for inflation with box office in the 80s to now....in those days, the tour was to support the album....the tour is (often) the be all and end all, especially for vintage acts now! More is put behind the show and what that it is....

Anyways, going back to arenas would be great! I'd be for it....would the Guns guys? Most..... but i'm sure letting anything that slightly pisses you off go is a lot easier when you're racking it in.....arenas will definitely change the pay packet ...anyways moving on. General soon!

I don't understand why people think it's either stadiums or nothing. They can still pretty easily fill up an arena. Going to arenas in the US and only playing stadiums overseas is not a sign a failure. It's the norm for most successful rock bands, except a very small handful, because rock music is not as popular in the United States in general.

It would still be vastly more money than they would be making just touring solo. This line-up is at peace, has more chemistry with each other than it's ever had, and the two most important players (Slash and Axl) seem to genuinely enjoy touring. Hanging onto the idea that losing the US stadiums will force them into making an album (or retire) is some very wishful thinking that will most likely not pan out.

Edited by meadsoap
  • Like 4