THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

16 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Most modern vinyls are cut from digital masters and are not made for vinyl. We're also talking about a band that uses lots of digital effects in its latest recordings.

This is an interesting read that explains what I'm getting at, without either the rose-tinted spectacles or my own bias against it:

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/does-vinyl-really-sound-better

A good read.....but it does contain facts, science and experts so will be dismissed! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Its Tino said:

I always go back to that same question when listening to Monsters.  

But it’s because The General and Monsters were registered together and Nando’s comment that The General is a monster. 

I honestly won’t be surprised either way. Monsters could even end up a single and Atlas the b-side to it for vice versa. We won’t know anything for sure until the 7”ers are delivered. 

Me neither. 

If I was a betting man i'd say it probably was planned to be both, but will end up being just The General after the test pressing was shit. 

The bit I come back to is that it's like getting blood out of a stone getting music out of GNR, so the idea of them doing something 'hidden' with a new song flies totally against how they usually operate. 

But then, they put The General as a b-side, so who knows?! 

36 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

It is a fad though. Vinyls sales are on the up – it largely went away. 10-20 years ago there wasn't 10 different colour options of vinyl or entire sections of shops like HMV devoted to it. I get that there's a collectors market for it, and that's fine, but buying vinyls to listen to them – as someone's only means if listening to something – is plain daft. Why would you go out of your way to listen to the worst version of something?

Modern vinyls aren't even made right! They're the same digital files put onto a vinyl – they're a square peg in a round hole. They're low quality pieces of crap made to sponge off gullible fans.

Old vinyls? Whatever, good at the time but outdated tech. Modern vinyls? Utter bullshit. They're for putting on a shelf and looking at, not for listening to.

You need to stop sitting on the fence, and tell us what you really think about vinyls!

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't think they took it off. They put out a 9 minute vinyl that good sounding in 1992, they can do it again, and not settle for less. Bands are having problems with shitty sounding vinyl these last years in general just due to bad vinyl facilities, not because of length or whatever.

It's only my opinion, but I believe Axl must have been aware all these years that we were confusing The General with Soul Monster the entire time, it seems too coincidental that that is the song chosen to follow after The General. It's one of the coolest things the GNR camp did for the fans in years if that really is, or was, the entire idea behind it. I'm not going to 100% give them credit and say that's what it was, but it seems too planned out for me to unfold that way

Well that was my point....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

I always go back to that same question when listening to Monsters.  

But it’s because The General and Monsters were registered together and Nando’s comment that The General is a monster. 

I honestly won’t be surprised either way. Monsters could even end up a single and Atlas the b-side to it for vice versa. We won’t know anything for sure until the 7”ers are delivered. 

I feel like Axl wanted to tell is the story the other night, but the poor pressing ruined everything.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

What makes you so sure that there is a 'hidden track'? It's highly possible it will just be The General on the b-side. And people will moan and complain about that now, even though it was never advertised or sold as such. 

I'm no audiophile, I just trust all he experts and indeed the manufacturers of the record, when they say the quality won't be great. I know we live in a climate where listening to people who actually know about these things and work with them for a living plays second fiddle to kneejerk reaction.....but personally, I trust that the people who are making the thing know a lot more about this than me. And if they say it will compromise the sound....then there we go. I bow to their greater knowledge. 

All irrelevant anyway now really, as it's coming out on CD so won't be an issue. 

..what do you want me to possibly respond to this? When you have already been confronted with literal, actual, real evidence and proof of a fine sounding, 9 minute long, 7" vinyl existing? I feel like you're just fucking with me at this point:lol:

Also no I'm not sure it's a hidden track, but things seem to just point to it being the case because it was registered as one song on SESAC which is highly unusual. We also know it's not one and the same song because it was played live without Monsters.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

..what do you want me to possibly respond to this? When you have already been confronted with literal, actual, real evidence and proof of a fine sounding, 9 minute long, 7" vinyl existing? That was not even a recent technological advancement, but was already produced before the guy you're talking to was even born? I feel like you're just fucking with me at this point:lol:

Also no I'm not sure it's a hidden track, but thinks seem to just point to it being the case because it was registered as one song on SESAC which is highly unusual. We also know it's not one and the same song because it was played live without Monsters.

Well, are the manufacturers and experts just making it up then? Is that genuinely what you believe? 

Not having a go here - just curious here as it's widely acknowledged that it's a problem, even by those that make this stuff and I can't work out why people ignore this. 

If pointing at the existence of November Rain trumps the manufacturers and experts for you, that's fine, but surely you can see that for most people that isn't enough really? They''re going to go with the people that do this for a living. 

Personally I think my November Rain sounds pretty shit compared to the Illusion LPs and CD single versions of it. Others may disagree of course. 

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Well, are the manufacturers and experts just making it up then? Is that genuinely what you believe? 

Not having a go here - just curious here as it's widely acknowledged that it's a problem, even by those that make this stuff and I can't work out why people ignore this. 

If pointing at the existence of November Rain trumps the manufacturers and experts for you, that's fine, but surely you can see that for most people that isn't enough really? They''re going to go with the people that do this for a living. 

Personally I think my November Rain sounds pretty shit compared to the Illusion LPs and CD single versions of it. Others may disagree of course. 

They're not making it up, there must be somewhat of a loss in quality putting on 9 minutes of music versus, let's say, 4 minutes of music, but isn't that...obvious? My entire point in the original post, if you go back, is if you "disagree" with the proof, then congratulations, you are an audiophile. There is no discernable "compromised sound" to normal people. No one is enraged over the sound of that November Rain vinyl, and it's 9 minutes long.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

https://www.discogs.com/release/28865935-Guns-N-Roses-Perhaps-

This mentions the CD being an SHM one, which perhaps is the 'exclusive to Japan' bit, rather than the CD in general? 

I know the Japanese market goes in for SHM CDs quite a lot, so it would make sense. 

Yes, that's the exclusive to Japan one (which is the only release on CD format, for now).

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

They're not making it up, there must be somewhat of a loss in quality putting on 9 minutes of music versus, let's say, 4 minutes of music, but isn't that...obvious? My entire point in the original post, if you go back, is if you "disagree" with the proof, then congratulations, you are an audiophile. There is no discernable "compromised sound" to normal people. No one is enraged over the sound of that November Rain vinyl.

Yeah, definitely obvious....but I thought people were saying there is no loss of quality? Ah man, we're arguing the same thing then! Apologies. 

Yeah, a lot is going to be based on how your ears are, what your stereo set is like, all that stuff. Some people won't tell the difference, especially if they're used to the low quality of streaming music, others really will I guess. 

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, that's the exclusive to Japan one (which is the only release on CD format, for now).

I think they're specific about the SHM being the exclusive part, rather than the CD aspect. 

Is SHM worth shelling out the extra postage/customs fees on though? I'm still hoping for a domestic release of this, as I've had stuff go missing on it's way from abroad before.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Is SHM worth shelling out the extra postage/customs fees on though? I'm still hoping for a domestic release of this, as I've had stuff go missing on it's way from abroad before.....

I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything about the quality of the SHM Hard Skool CD being significantly better.

22 hours ago, Miden34 said:

I fcukin' love clockwork angels though. the garden, the anarchist, Bu2b, caravan, Headlong fight, Halo effect. a stacked album

The one and only time I saw Rush was with my dad during the Clockwork Angels tour. It was an amazing performance, very theatrical. 

1 hour ago, Miden34 said:

Im just like, this year for music. i mean we got the most legendary Guns n roses song never released in "the general", the rolling stones release my album of the year Hackney diamonds, And we get a "new' beatles song.. in 2023 that shit happened. just take a second and wrap your mind around that. 

And a new Queen song as well, unless that was 2022. Can’t remember now!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything about the quality of the SHM Hard Skool CD being significantly better.

I believe SHM is more marketing than anything. Though, I don’t have any to compare, and even if I did, all of my CD players are far from top of the line anyways. 

My guess is if someone ripped a lossless file from a regular CD and a SHM, there wouldn’t be a difference. 

20 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

The one and only time I saw Rush was with my dad during the Clockwork Angels tour. It was an amazing performance, very theatrical. 

last year 

Edited by Miden34

9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

also something i noticed. just to put into perspective how unbelievable the beatles are, the New queen song from last year featuring freddie has gotten 14 million views in a year. Now and Then the new beatles song has gotten 26 million in under 2 weeks. thats aburd.

• ABSUЯD 2