THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

43 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Are we sure that Monsters is a Bucket song? Somehow I had the impression that it was from before he joined, but I'm not sure why I thought that. 

I believe he's talking about what I did, trying to emulate what I could hear from that shitty recording. Try to listen to this version I made and then listen to that cell phone recording again. 

https://we.tl/t-D66GYHZ4Lz

If Monsters is indeed Leave Me Alone/Soul Monster, which is a strong consensus at this point, we know it was in at least instrumental form by 2002, as that’s when Marco B worked on it along with The General, Thyme, and Seven. It’s likely to be a Buckethead song for this reason, but not definitive. Also, @Brodie mentioned if Bumblefoot recorded over Bucket’s work on Soul Monster he would kill babies. This is presuming Brodie is indeed L!VE FREE, and that he indeed had material and/or connections. Which I strongly believe he did. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Thanks. But with all due respect, it wasn't really imagination from my part. I can actually hear that in that cell phone recording. What I had to actually do was to figure out some rhythm guitars because I recorded two and had to differentiate it a bit from each other. And I couldn't really hear Stinson's bass very well, so I just used Duff's rerecording. Still, as far as guitar arrangement, it's exactly what I hear in it. 

I can back you up on this, your playing is exactly what I hear from the party recording. If not perfectly copying it, it’s VERY close. It almost sounds like someone used some futuristic tech to extract the existing guitar track from that rough party recording and cleaned it up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I can back you up on this, your playing is exactly what I hear from the party recording. If not perfectly copying it, it’s VERY close. It almost sounds like someone used some futuristic tech to extract the existing guitar track from that rough party recording and cleaned it up. 

Ok fair enough I dwld your W.E and I can hear it better now, that part of the brain is more actively looking for that sound after just hearing it clearly...and I have really good hearing. 

Ooo I really hope we have another locker leak Christmas some day but it's 2004-2008 sessions AND then 2008-2014 stuff BUT l, Axl if you're reading, of course I'd rather you just get on and relesee it officially instead! So we can support the material like that...

To make you happy @Sweersa they should do what Mj's estate did on the Xscape album....8 remixes and the same 8 tracks in their original form instrumentally, flaws and all....

Although you'll probably be thinking the flaws and all, are on the updated versions 😂🤪

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

I asked Copilot (Bing’s new AI tool) if “Monsters” by GNR has been officially released yet… it said yes, on December 8th, 2023 along with “The General”… man, I wish that were the case. :wacko:

• Haha 3

They really are. The Village leaks was the most excitement we had since November 23, 2008.

Probably for you. Please don’t speak for everybody. They did nothing for me.

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

You are probably in the minority. I would imagine most members here were very excited for the release of the 2008 album, and the 2019 Village leaks. 

I think most people were excited for CD and the leaks when each first came out. Too bad there are only a few really good songs that came out of it, imo. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

I think most people were excited for CD and the leaks when each first came out. Too bad there are only a few really good songs that came out of it, imo. 

Nothing and Eye On You :P 

Hardschool was the biggest gem for me in the Village leaks. Perhaps grew on me, Atlas starts out strong but falls a bit flat. State Of Grace was fun, has potential. So yes, I agree in that there were only a few really good songs from that. The rest were fun curiosities. 

I think we would be having a different conversation if material from 2002-2005 leaked! Maybe some day...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

So....before Village leaks...Jackie Chan, HS that we know now....who had that to tease 30 seconds of it in the early 2010s....I'm guessing whomever had it, had more of the like? 

It seems like the guy (DJ Razz) got screwed by GNR's then manager, Merck Mercuriadis. Or threatened with legal action. Something like that. But as far as we know, the CD had only those four tracks: TWAT, IRS, Catcher and Hard School. All from 1999, seems like.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It seems like the guy (DJ Razz) got screwed by GNR's then manager, Merck Mercuriadis. Or threatened with legal action. Something like that. But as far as we know, the CD had only those four tracks: TWAT, IRS, Catcher and Hard School. All from 1999, seems like.

Ok...so we got all versions of what was on that disc? Interesting 4 track ...guess HS was considered heavily at one point for Chinese 1 

Edited by colonizedmind

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Nothing and Eye On You :P 

Hardschool was the biggest gem for me in the Village leaks. Perhaps grew on me, Atlas starts out strong but falls a bit flat. State Of Grace was fun, has potential. So yes, I agree in that there were only a few really good songs from that. The rest were fun curiosities. 

I think we would be having a different conversation if material from 2002-2005 leaked! Maybe some day...

From the leaks, Atlas and Perhaps were the two with vocals that I thought had the most promise. And Oklahoma is by far my favorite of the instrumentals. 

4 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Ok...so we got all versions of what was on that disc? Interesting 4 track ...guess HS was considered heavily at one point for Chinese 1 

Actually not really. IRS and TWAT are the same from the Village, but seems like Catcher and HS’ arrangements sounded slightly different.

Im not sure if HS was really considered for CD1. I got the impression that by the Village sessions, it lost some priority because it didn’t have any other version in the discs. Same for Perhaps.

6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Actually not really. IRS and TWAT are the same from the Village, but seems like Catcher and HS’ arrangements sounded slightly different.

Im not sure if HS was really considered for CD1. I got the impression that by the Village sessions, it lost some priority because it didn’t have any other version in the discs. Same for Perhaps.

The Village leaks are a snapshot of the Village sessions. There's only 1 version of ITW and Catcher in those leaks but obviously they were still considered for CD1.

Back when they intended to release albums on a regular basis, I'd guess Hardschool was either on the A list or high on the B list.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DTV88 said:

From the leaks, Atlas and Perhaps were the two with vocals that I thought had the most promise. And Oklahoma is by far my favorite of the instrumentals. 

For the instrumentals, I agree Oklahoma is a gem. I also enjoyed Me & My Elvis, and Zodiac 13. Zodiac 13 being my favorite instrumental. I of course enjoyed the Buckethead instrumentals as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The Village leaks are a snapshot of the Village sessions. There's only 1 version of ITW and Catcher in those leaks but obviously they were still considered for CD1.

Back when they intended to release albums on a regular basis, I'd guess Hardschool was either on the A list or high on the B list.

Indeed, but ITW was still being worked on.

I believe Atlas and Catcher were both higher in the list back in 1999, when Robin left and Brian May joined the recording. After Bucket joined and Robin came back, and after their first few gigs in Vegas and Rio, I strongly believe that Axl's direction changed up a bit to be more representative of that lineup. Which means no Josh Freese or Brian May. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 10:00 PM, Voodoochild said:

I think there were instrumental versions of each on there too. 

Edited by rumandraisin

10 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I think there were instrumental versions of each on there too. 

For the 1999 batch? As far as I know, the instrumentals were only for the 2003/04-ish mixes for IRS, Better and TWAT that leaked back in 2006. This one had also two versions for TWAT, one with the shortened solo.

On 6/9/2024 at 4:39 AM, Voodoochild said:

For the 1999 batch? As far as I know, the instrumentals were only for the 2003/04-ish mixes for IRS, Better and TWAT that leaked back in 2006. This one had also two versions for TWAT, one with the shortened solo.

I may be mixing the two anecdotes up about the guy receiving the disc and describing what was on it. 

• Like 1

We need a full Chinese session discography year by year document that we can refer to....kinda like the history of GNR recording some dude did in the past but fully focused on Chinese leaks (who/what/when) and also sub columns for strong rumours and titles with no leaks for yet....

Anyone?

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...