THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

7 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I wonder what the 2008 mixes of Perhaps, Hardschool, Silkworms, The General, Soul Monster, Atlas, and Nothing sounded like. 

Perhaps probably just like the 2000 version, Hard School probably just like the 2000 version, Silkworms probably a hybrid of the 2021 version and 2000 version, The General probably close to the same arrangement with totally different guitar sound, Atlas probably like 2008 CITR way too much bumble, Soul Monster from the cell phone recording sounds like a completely different song, nothing who knows. The 2000 version like a sketch 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

How the mighty have fallen

I know you're not a fan of the CD sound, but Monsters is a top 5 song from that era. It isn't really comparable to anything else in their catalogue but for what it is, it's great. It's not WTTJ or Estranged and people shouldn't be expecting 'classic' songs at this stage anyway. But Monsters is a good, album-worthy song, which is more than I can say for the other singles...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Perhaps probably just like the 2000 version, Hard School probably just like the 2000 version, Silkworms probably a hybrid of the 2021 version and 2000 version, The General probably close to the same arrangement with totally different guitar sound, Atlas probably like 2008 CITR way too much bumble, Soul Monster from the cell phone recording sounds like a completely different song, nothing who knows. The 2000 version like a sketch 

Silkworms had been re-structured into Absurd by 2006, the demo with Bumblefoot leaked around the same time as OMG and Going Down. I'd guess Perhaps was close to the Village demo but Hardschool was probably closer to the NITL single around that time.

If Atlas was extended and enhanced like TWAT it might be salvageable, but I think we've already heard the best version of it...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Silkworms had been re-structured into Absurd by 2006, the demo with Bumblefoot leaked around the same time as OMG and Going Down. I'd guess Perhaps was close to the Village demo but Hardschool was probably closer to the NITL single around that time.

If Atlas was extended and enhanced like TWAT it might be salvageable, but I think we've already heard the best version of it...

I'd love it if a studio Silkworms exists with Buckethead and the full vocals we heard for the first live performances exists.

On 12/20/2023 at 10:20 PM, Seb91 said:

I think we're definitely heading to a point that a compilation album will be viable as we know Atlas and Monsters are viable (and the latter's already been done by Slash and Duff) so we'll be up to six after the next release. Just leaves four gaps to bring it to ten. If they're that pushed for material then Eye on You and/or State of Grace could be dusted off or just get Slash and Duff to work their magic on Oh My God. I mean, I'd even be up for a Slash/Duff version of Better (given DJ did a version of it back in the day) or another Chinese song. I'm hoping there are some unheard songs with Axl's vocals in the vault though. 

Given Tommy did two songs and Ron added stuff to the new OMG, it's mad to think that they could have put another album out around the 2010 era if they wanted to. HS, AbsurdPerhaps, The GeneralTen Percenter, Going Down, Atlas, Monsters, OMG, State of GraceEye on You. Sure there's some filler there but they could have put some singles out at the least and this was the era that the Pumpkins and other bands were just putting singles out. 

At this point what would be the point of releasing a compilation album including all the songs they've released. 

In terms of effort vs reward it won't pay off, because the material has largely not connected with people. Hardskool and Perhaps were closest to getting a positive reaction upon release. And the idea of rehashing songs from the original CD album, I mean it's not a good idea. They would be slated "guns n roses are so out of ideas they reach back to 2008s flop for inspiration" that could be taken from any potential review. I don't consider Chinese a flop btw😄 

IF gnr are releasing an album at this point, it has to be material we haven't heard, it would ideally break away from the 97-08 sessions and be current gnr centred (no credits for bucket, robin, Paul, Tommy, Chris etc. just the current members) with maybe 2 songs from the previous era which would be seriously reworked and rearranged, stripped down entirely and completely re-recorded.

36 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

IF gnr are releasing an album at this point, it has to be material we haven't heard, it would ideally break away from the 97-08 sessions and be current gnr centred (no credits for bucket, robin, Paul, Tommy, Chris etc. just the current members) with maybe 2 songs from the previous era which would be seriously reworked and rearranged, stripped down entirely and completely re-recorded.

No! :( 

16 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I don't understand the argument for wanting old material with those that haven't been in a band for 10+ years on a album put out by the band we know now...

Not that it shouldn't be heard in different scenarios or as "vault" releases....but it really needs to not be used in the album format as a Duff, Slash and Axl led project....they aren't gonna give there all to songs made by others and not from the ground up created as a current group. Singles and Ep's like we've kinda had, ok....that's ok...but...

New album,  basically has to be 100% fresh, to be any kind of a success. End of discussion....

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

I don't understand the argument for wanting old material with those that haven't been in a band for 10+ years on a album put out by the band we know now...

Not that it shouldn't be heard in different scenarios or as "vault" releases....but it really needs to not be used in the album format as a Duff, Slash and Axl led project....they aren't gonna give there all to songs made by others and not from the ground up created as a current group. Singles and Ep's like we've kinda had, ok....that's ok...but...

New album,  basically has to be 100% fresh, to be any kind of a success. End of discussion....

I understand your point, but let’s say if the next album was 12-14 songs, it could easily contain a mix of new songs, reworked CD songs, and unchanged CD songs. If it’s mixed and mastered properly, most casual fans are never going to know Robin played on X, Slash on Y, Bucket on Z, etc. Plus it would make things easier and cheaper to not have to record more and remix. I’m not saying the above is likely to happen, but it could. I don’t think the more than half of CD2 that hasn’t been officially released will be abandoned. The real question is what form is will take. Hopefully, we get the original mixes with the older lineups as some sort of bonus or anniversary release if they are not just put out as is. 

4 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

I hope they’ve a new album with current lineup written and recorded, but I cannot see Axl abandoning this CD era songs and not get them out first, before anything “new”.

I care more about when things were recorded rather than written, at least with GNR at this point. An album with 1999 vocals and 2024 vocals back to back is going to sound jarring, but if Axl's contributions to a future album were the less finished CD songs that they redo from the ground up... sure that's something. I think there's going to be traces of the CD era in everything the band does.

7 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Hey I like those guys a lot (not as much as you🤣) and their contributions to CD, but the time has passed. It really had passed (years ago) by the time they started releasing these songs, but IF the songs were great then they could have been granted an extra lease on life... they were passable songs, some about as good as the less good GNR songs, others much worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmus1 said:

I care more about when things were recorded rather than written, at least with GNR at this point. An album with 1999 vocals and 2024 vocals back to back is going to sound jarring, but if Axl's contributions to a future album were the less finished CD songs that they redo from the ground up... sure that's something. I think there's going to be traces of the CD era in everything the band does.

I'd agree with this. Old songs stripped apart and completely re-recorded is acceptable. Using 20+ yr old vocal takes and drums? it just doesn't work. Even if you didn't know the history, you can hear how separate the finished product sounds

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfa75 said:

I hope they’ve a new album with current lineup written and recorded, but I cannot see Axl abandoning this CD era songs and not get them out first, before anything “new”.

But he's got a lot of songs out already and they have all failed to set the world on fire... what is the objective of releasing music that is not even popular among the most hardcore of fans? if it's just to please himself then fine, but if it's in the hope that we might not get it straight away and with time we'll understand the genius of these tracks... that's pretty delusional😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I understand your point, but let’s say if the next album was 12-14 songs, it could easily contain a mix of new songs, reworked CD songs, and unchanged CD songs. If it’s mixed and mastered properly, most casual fans are never going to know Robin played on X, Slash on Y, Bucket on Z, etc. Plus it would make things easier and cheaper to not have to record more and remix. I’m not saying the above is likely to happen, but it could. I don’t think the more than half of CD2 that hasn’t been officially released will be abandoned. The real question is what form is will take. Hopefully, we get the original mixes with the older lineups as some sort of bonus or anniversary release if they are not just put out as is. 

It could happen. However it just makes no commercial sense to not have Slash as the main lead guitar player on a GNR record. I mean Richard would be doing well to get featured on a song and he's still in the band! 

The only ONLY way we hear Richard/Bucket/Bumble/Robin parts in any logical situation is a bonus edition of the album which features alternative mixes. Even then, GNR are working hard to deflect the reality of where these songs come from, they want people to not know where and who wrote these songs. Releasing these songs with alternative members undermines that. 

It's a god damn shame Axl didn't just pull the trigger in 2014 and release the follow up to CDII, that was the last time they could be released and accepted IMO. The moment Slash came back all clocks went back to 0.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arnuld said:

That slash lick into the bridge on monsters and the bridge it’s self is the most pure GNR since UYI. I have listened to it countless times and it gives me the chills every time. I still cannot believe we got it. I have been imagining that bridge in my head since Axl discussed it here in 2008. It absolutely lived up to the hype. 

These songs will never be like the apex songs from the early days but Monsters (Soul Monster) is absolutely worthy GNR canon 

Monsters is by far the best Chinese Takeout song. It should have been released first or second with Hard Skool. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Monsters is by far the best Chinese Takeout song. It should have been released first or second with Hard Skool. 

Best of a bad bunch is not great praise though😄 but yeah I'd have done Hardskool, Monsters, Perhaps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Best of a bad bunch is not great praise though😄 but yeah I'd have done Hardskool, Monsters, Perhaps

I wish we had the 2008 Soul Monster for comparison, but I too find Monsters better than Hard Skool, Absurd, and Perhaps. I would imagine the CD-era version of Monsters to be even better.

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

it's not part of a bunch, it leaked. God knows how many songs were reworked, maybe it's part of a bunch with many great unheard songs. All of these probably were ready to go years ago but Axl just wouldn't do shit

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I wish we had the 2008 Soul Monster for comparison, but I too find Monsters better than Hard Skool, Absurd, and Perhaps. I would imagine the CD-era version of Monsters to be even better.

The cell phone clip sounds much more like the other CD songs. Bucket and or Robin guitars. Hip hop industrial influences. The Slash version still has a lot of the CD sound but is much warmer and bluesier. At least that’s from what I can tell from the cell phone clip vs the full leak. Would love to have both for comparison 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

The cell phone clip sounds much more like the other CD songs. Bucket and or Robin guitars. Hip hop industrial influences. The Slash version still has a lot of the CD sound but is much warmer and bluesier. At least that’s from what I can tell from the cell phone clip vs the full leak. Would love to have both for comparison 

Never heard the cell phone clip, probably never will at this juncture…

But the current (90% positively final) leak of “Monsters” is the perfect love child of OG Guns and NuGuns… you know it’s a much more “matured” concept lyrically from Axl, but the guitar playing and, generally speaking, song structure screams Slash n’ Duff. It’s truly a banger.

Edited by GNRRHCP98
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Why would you imagine it to be better? Sounds like personal bias. Why would anyone intentionally choose to release a ‘worse’ version of any song?