THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

hi, sorry if it was asked before, I'm entering the discussion on page 253, can anybody say what does the title The General mean? Does it refer to the army rank, as in - daddy was the boss, the commander? If you know and answer, can you tag me so I'm notified? thanks

34 minutes ago, whatashame said:

hi, sorry if it was asked before, I'm entering the discussion on page 253, can anybody say what does the title The General mean? Does it refer to the army rank, as in - daddy was the boss, the commander? If you know and answer, can you tag me so I'm notified? thanks

According to Brain, it's just a working title that stuck. They wrote it while eating General Tso's fried chicken, so they called that instrumental The General. :lol:

3 hours ago, whatashame said:

It means "non-specific".

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

According to Brain, it's just a working title that stuck. They wrote it while eating General Tso's fried chicken, so they called that instrumental The General. :lol:

I feel like he was trolling the current band/fans with that but if he was actually serious- that’s really funny 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

And according to Tommy its named after him as all other band memories called him the general lol

Well thats what I remember him saying in a interview somewhere

43 minutes ago, vloors said:

And according to Tommy its named after him as all other band memories called him the general lol

I don't remember Tommy said the song The General was named after his nickname in Gn'R, just explaining how he kinda got that nickname, but maybe I'm misremembering what he said.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I don't remember Tommy said the song The General was named after his nickname in Gn'R, just explaining how he kinda got that nickname, but maybe I'm misremembering what he said.

I also could be misremembering :lol:

18 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I feel like he was trolling the current band/fans with that but if he was actually serious- that’s really funny 

He doesn't seem to take things like titles very seriously. This is a guy who named his album Kevin's Noodle House because he saw it advertised on a sign as he was driving to the studio :lol:

17 hours ago, vloors said:

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 7:13 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

He doesn't seem to take things like titles very seriously. This is a guy who named his album Kevin's Noodle House because he saw it advertised on a sign as he was driving to the studio :lol:

Yeah, that and it was just a working title for a song with no lyrics at the time. It has no meaning, people. Sorry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I was thinking about Monsters again today and about how it used to be called Soul Monster and had great Buckethead guitar work.

That cell phone recording sounds almost like a completely different song. The guitars on the Slash version are so different. Love the version we have though 

Just now, Arnuld said:

That cell phone recording sounds almost like a completely different song. The guitars on the Slash version are so different. Love the version we have though 

The phone clip sounds really interesting, hopefully we hear a 2004-06 mix eventually, in a box set or a leak. All the singles have been simplified compared to the demos, but Monsters is such a good song that even the NITL version is strong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The phone clip is barely listenable, hopefully we hear a 2004-06 mix eventually, in a box set or a leak. All the singles have been improved compared to the demos, but Monsters is such a good song that the demo version can’t even come close.

Fixed for you… :shades:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No. :lol:

Obviously the quality is shit on the phone recording, but the structure is different, which makes it interesting. And I definitely wouldn't say they've all been improved...

I know, I know… but you know too, it was just a funny attempt to say I don’t agree :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arnuld said:

I agree, it sounds as reworked as Hard Skool was from the 2000 mix. 

• Like 1