Is The Last Two Minutes of "Monsters" the best passage of music GNR has released since '91

Monsters the biggest high since '91?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• colonizedmind changed the title to Is The Last Two Minutes of "Monsters" the best passage of music GNR has released since '91

A thought experiment I did during fading in n out of the general fever dreams, was to wipe the slate clean MIB style, dump every gnr song in a Bucket, then pick up the one song which epitomized and embodied the gnr character and personalities behind it. The results were shocking, spoiler alert, The General and Monsters was what I picked.

You have the main characters doing the brunt majority work so, it boils down to.

Axl and his megalomania over the top theatrical perfomances and split personalities with outbursts of mania, racing thoughts of victimhood.

Slash and his unwavering build and grind, that completely harmonize with split personalities. Slashs personal signature being all over the journey and not pure noodlefest, reigned in until conductor lets the beast loose. 

Culminating with Monsters dirty sleaze and singalong sensibility, with the meanest bridge, thx Baz and the pure gnr soul leaving our bodies for the anthemic outro. Digest as needed..

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

It's definitely up there but TWAT would like to have a word lol

Fair...that did cross my mind but Slash being on this and on great form has definately put it in the conversation for me...

The high notes and Buckets solo are awesome though! 🎃

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Nah. It's the best since CD, for sure but TWAT, Catcher in the Rye's outro and Prostitute are, in my opinion, far superior.

Yea....Catchers outro would be sublime but I hate how muddy the mix gets there...(shit! Hate to keep stoking the talking about mixes but...).... Axls vocals get a bit burried in the layers...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea....Catchers outro would be sublime but I hate how muddy the mix gets there...(shit! Hate to keep stoking the talking about mixes but...).... Axls vocals get a bit burried in the layers...

I agree there's too much going on in that song.

I'm sure some people may say CITR, OMG, Better, CD, Perhaps, Prostitute. There is a little bit of everything for everyone depending on the style of music you like from GnR. 

I'm going to go with... yes. Not that it's my favorite song to listen to, but I did think TWAT was the "best" of the CD era and by a good margin. I think Monsters edges it out by not retreading the lost love trope a lot of the GnR epics seem to be based around. It's like you merging the outro of Coma with some dark introspective Axl lyrics and then adding on all the CD era hallmarks. It's a damn good song. 

• Like 2

I'd say no. Prostitute from the "i told you when i found you..." part into the 2nd guitar solo / double kick drum part into the outro is at the top as far as a "Guns N' Roses" labeled song goes.

I'll give it a few more listenes though to make a real opinion

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Great question! I've been trying hard to remember if I enjoyed anything from them since Illusions more than Monsters. Maybe the original 2006 Better leak, or the Prostitute leak, but this might be superior. 

Maybe it's recency bias, but The General/Monsters feels like everything I wanted the Chinese Democracy album to be.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lpgnr said:

The outro solo is Fortus not Slash. 

We don't know anything for sure yet...we will have to wait and see...probably only find out if they play it live...

51 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

Don't be affraid man! it's a masterpiece

Album version though? Or earlier?