Is The Last Two Minutes of "Monsters" the best passage of music GNR has released since '91

Monsters the biggest high since '91?  

182 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Waited a few days as it can be easy to get caught up in the moment, the new vibes and recent bias...

It's certainly given me highs and chills unlike anything GNR have done for a long time... the blending of the dark deep monsters vocal bridge straight into Axl screaming like he never quite did on Chinese (released) and then a catchy end chorus coupled with Slash's best work in forever...it sounds like Guns now, NU-Guns and classic Guns all in moments...that is quite an achievement IMO.

What's yours? 

The 9 minute song is the best GNR work since Estranged.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I'm sure some people may say CITR, OMG, Better, CD, Perhaps, Prostitute. There is a little bit of everything for everyone depending on the style of music you like from GnR. 

I'm going to go with... yes. Not that it's my favorite song to listen to, but I did think TWAT was the "best" of the CD era and by a good margin. I think Monsters edges it out by not retreading the lost love trope a lot of the GnR epics seem to be based around. It's like you merging the outro of Coma with some dark introspective Axl lyrics and then adding on all the CD era hallmarks. It's a damn good song. 

And SOD. Amazing vocals 

1 hour ago, STPGNR4EVER said:

Monsters to me is a bit above avg and that's it, i think this is being overrated! Way more better songs on Chinese Democracy but the General is amazing!

This is what I'm loving! A great split down the middle of one's loving TG an others really preferring Monsters and then those that love both or none at all ...it's all good. Discourse it is providing is passing the time to vinyl date #2

👌

I voted no.

Which isn’t saying much considering they’ve released almost nothing after Illusions.

The coda in “There was a Time” is top tier shit. Let’s talk about codas or the last couple minutes of songs. Chinese has several. 

The end of “Better.” The end of “Street of Dreams.” The end of the title track.

I’ve long said the end of “There was a Time” is some of Axl’s best studio vocals ever. I LOVE “Monsters.” That angry Christmas card of unadulterated venom is right up there with me next to “TWAT” and other heavyweights we’d all likely point to (“Rocket Queen” coda, for example).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

We don't know anything for sure yet...we will have to wait and see...probably only find out if they play it live…

The tone and phrasing is clearly Fortus. Slash doesn’t sound like that nor does he play that way. While I may be wrong, I am quite sure that is Fortus on the outro. Slash starts it, and then you can clearly hear when it switches to Richard. 

Soul Monster is so so good. (Isn’t it much more enjoyable to refer to it as its original title that we have all been obsessing about since 2008 but I digress) I love the bridge and Slash’s outro. But TWAT is the best piece of Music Axl has released since 1991. It’s an almost perfect Axl Rose song. It has so many elements that it should not work and yet it does. It’s modern and classic at the same time. I do not prefer buckethead to slash at all (great guitar player but what a fucking weirdo) but his outro solo on TWAT is an absolute banger. TWAT is on about the same level as Civil War but not quite on the level of Estranged. I would say Soul Monster is about the same level as The Garden which I personally love and wish they would bring back to the set at some point. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I know most will disagree and some will want to kill me for this but, IMO, TWAT is the greatest GnR composition ever. SCOM and Estranged do come really close second, though.

I don't know if I would say TWAT is the greatest (it's so hard to pick from your favorites lol) but I would say it's in the top 5 for me for sure.  Honestly SCOM, Estranged and TWAT might also be my top 3 lol

Just every note is played perfectly in TWAT, the vocals are some of Axl's best ever, I love the beat and the rhythm. The only thing that might hold it back from being #1 is the chorus for me. Amazing song though 

14 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I know most will disagree and some will want to kill me for this but, IMO, TWAT is the greatest GnR composition ever. SCOM and Estranged do come really close second, though.

I don't know if I would say TWAT is the greatest (it's so hard to pick from your favorites lol) but I would say it's in the top 5 for me for sure.  Honestly SCOM, Estranged and TWAT might also be my top 3 lol

Just every note is played perfectly in TWAT, the vocals are some of Axl's best ever, I love the beat and the rhythm. The only thing that might hold it back from being #1 is the chorus for me. Amazing song though 

• Like 2

It's very good.  It has a non-commercial, experimental, groove to it that reminds me of sections of Coma and Locomotive.  I'd say it's top-tier Guns.  Well done, Mr. Rose.  I wish ChiDem 2 could have turned out how you intended it to.

Edit: TWAT is indeed amazing.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I didn’t vote, but it’s definitely one of the best parts. I guess the TWAT finale still beats it, but SM has Slash, which is a great asset (whether or not there are 4tus bits as well), making it sound more like GN’R. 
I just hope they won’t release just TG without this song, as that would be moronic. TG is pretty cool but a difficult, dark, not exactly pleasant song; minor chords, Axl too high at times, not a great sound etc. Sure, it’s probably just a demo, but still. SM is definitely the superior one out of these two. The fact that he sat on it for 20 years is baffling. 

• Like 1

Hadn’t seen this mentioned yet, but This I Love from the guitar solo to the end really saved the song for me, and I think that’s up there with “GNR” recorded music “moments.”

That being said though, each time I play the entire 9 mins of General/Monsters, I’m waiting for that ending with Axl’s angry vocals and Slash (or fortus) crushing the solo.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:28 PM, Caedo said:

Lol serious recency bias going on in this poll - great tune but it’s not even close to the top tier of CD (Better, Prostitute and TWAT) in my mind

The bar has been set so low that this is being seen as the greatest thing ever.  Its fine, but like you say it doesn't touch top tier CD. Its just shiny and new and it was unexpected, but to come even close to comparing it to TWAT or Prostitute, to me, shows how desperate we are for new material that we're not thinking straight.

I don't even know which ending of these two songs is better. The last two minutes of Monsters or the last minute of The General which is powerhouse. Judging the last TWO minutes, it's Monsters. It's a head to head race with TWAT which got me from the first listen. Monsters has Axl's best vocals since a long time in that bridge but the guitars were a bit underwhelming until I get used to this fantastic outro melody by Slash. But again, The General's outro awesome as well.