Jump to content

AFD inducted into the Grammy's Hall of Fame on May 21st


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The Grammy's have always been a corporate and very conservative institution (worse than the Oscars), always too late (if ever) to acknowledge and embrace artists and currents that were innovative or "it" in their time. For example, seeing the full list of all recordings inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame since 1973, punk is represented only by the three+1 albums (The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, London Calling by The Clash + Patti Smith, if that counts).

https://www.grammy.com/awards/hall-of-fame-award

That said, most of the recordings in this list that I'm familiar with are masterpieces. And considering that this is a "hall of fame" for recordings from all genres of music (classical, jazz, film music, original casts, pop, etc.) and the only other hard rock artists in it are Led Zeppelin (two albums and two singles), AC/DC (Back In Black album), Aerosmith (two singles) and Alice Cooper (School's Out single) - also Nirvana's Nevermind album and Smells Like Teen Spirit single, and Pearl Jam's Ten album (if these count) - this induction is something. Kind of surprising that SCOM hasn't already been inducted as a single before the album, but it most likely will be in there eventually, as well as November Rain.

Is there a category best music video?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

Is there a category best music video?

There is, in the annual Grammy Awards.

But this is the Grammy Hall Of Fame, which is something like the RRHOF, but for recordings irrespective of genre (so artists are not inducted as such, but through specific recordings, albums, singles or tracks).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There is, in the annual Grammy Awards.

But this is the Grammy Hall Of Fame, which is something like the RRHOF, but for recordings irrespective of genre (so artists are not inducted as such, but through specific recordings, albums, singles or tracks).

Yeah I get that HOF thing. Just wondering which video they awarded over NR in this category back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Yeah I get that HOF thing. Just wondering which video they awarded over NR in this category back then.

R.E.M's Losing My Religion - November Rain wasn't even nominated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Music_Video

(Tbh, I would probably vote for that one over NR, too)

EDIT: I should have looked at the awards in 1993 (which were for recordings/videos from 1992), so it was Peter Gabriel's Digging In The Dirt (NR was still not nominated) - I would have voted for that one over NR, too :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, scottish nutter said:

Would never have guessed he goes to the shops, thought he would have get someone else to bring it to him 

It have his positive side, he show like an normal people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the end it doesn't really matter if it gets an award or not, we know about it, we value it for what it is. And people will listen to it, that's what made them one of the biggest bands. Not Grammy's or even a rock hall induction 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

R.E.M's Losing My Religion - November Rain wasn't even nominated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Music_Video

(Tbh, I would probably vote for that one over NR, too)

EDIT: I should have looked at the awards in 1993 (which were for recordings/videos from 1992), so it was Peter Gabriel's Digging In The Dirt (NR was still not nominated) - I would have voted for that one over NR, too :lol:

You ❤ NR.... 😅

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2024 at 2:31 PM, Free Bird said:

If I‘m not misinformed AFD was reviewed pretty bad when it was released. Nobody paid attention to the record at first. It took a whole year till it went number one on the Billboard Charts. No chance for a grammy back then. It’s a different story with yLies and the Illusion records, though.

I've never seen a bad review for Appetite.

The first review I ever read for the album came from Hit Parader magazine, giving it four stars out of five. I don't believe Rolling Stone ever officially reviewed it upon its' initial release, because they were busy kissing Bono and U2's asses for 'The Joshua Tree'. It wasn't until '88 that Guns got their first Rolling Stone cover.

The primary reason that the album was overlooked by the Grammy committee back then is due to the late July release, and all eligible records for Grammy consideration were decided at the end of September. No one on the committee had likely ever heard of the band, let alone listened to the record.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2024 at 3:25 AM, Rickodez said:

Is this like the honorary oscar? Do they get an actual Grammy? And they totally deserve one.

No they will receive a certificate.

Eligible recipients will receive an official certificate from the academy.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2024 at 7:43 PM, vloors said:

No they will receive a certificate.

Eligible recipients will receive an official certificate from the academy.

But everyone get's a certificate for these awards too, and maybe the envelope saying whos the winner. It would be quite lame to have an actual ceremony just to give them a certificate as if they were finishing high school. lol 

Julien_Grammy_Certificate.jpg

''One of the oldest bands without an actual Grammy, here's your certificate, congrats, bozos!''

Graduate-AA.webp

Edited by Rickodez
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Rickodez said:

But everyone get's a certificate for these awards too, and maybe the envelope saying whos the winner. It would be quite lame to have an actual ceremony just to give them a certificate as if they were finishing high school. lol 

Julien_Grammy_Certificate.jpg

''One of the oldest bands without an actual Grammy, here's your certificate, congrats, bozos!''

Graduate-AA.webp

Yep it is lame and i dont expect any of the AFD 5 to be there to get their certificates.

https://loadedradio.com/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-grammy-hall/

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the first time an induction ceremony takes place, though (I suppose until now the certificates were given during the regular Grammy Awards show), so there will likely be more than giving a certificate. They said there going to be performances, but not who the performers will be.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...