Why Finck prefers NIN over GNR?

i just think he got sick and tired of doing the same shit over and over again. who would want to go out and do the same songs over and over again for over a decade?. in nine inch nails he may not write the material but it is something fresh, plus nine inch nails mixes up setlists all the time so it probably is exciting.

the guy wanted to do his own thing do his own take on songs, just to have people complain because "it doesnt sound like slash!!" it really is just 2 different types of bands. one turned into an aging 80s dinosaur whose leader seems content on milking the name for all its worth with no creative drive or no energy to do anything but go with the flow. the other is a band that is still loved whose leader seems to have a great creative drive and wants to try and do new things. its not really hard to imagine why he would rather play with nine inch nails.

• Like 2

There is only so much redundant touring you can do before you quit and join a band that always changes things up. I don't think that it is out of the question to guess that Robin saw the writing on the wall that even with CD released Guns N' Roses were not going to be as artistically fulfilling as if he was in NIN.

• Like 1

Broski, come on, you picked an awful Axl picture and a great NIN one. It's not about the image...

The pictures are more symbolic than anything. And find me a picture of Axl 2011 onwards that isn't awful...or a NIN one that isfor that matter.

Let's compare latest proshot footage instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjSm7QhBhco

If you're any kind of sensible human being what band would you pick to be in?

Edited by Broskirose

No matter how great a gig Guns N' Roses was (and judging by that recent interview and his appearance with GN'R in 2012 I think it's safe to say he enjoyed his tenure with Guns N' Roses), the fact is he will forever be known as the guitarist (in a live setting) and the most well known member of Nine Inch Nails after Trent. In many ways, I'd say Robin is almost as much a "face" of NIN as Trent, even if people do not necessarily know Robin by name (if that makes sense). Almost everyone I know who knows anything about Nine Inch Nails remembers that crazy looking guitarist that played with them at Woodstock '94.

Robin is one of the connecting figures between eras of Nine Inch Nails in much the same way Dizzy is between the Use Your Illusion lineup of Guns N' Roses and later lineups. Also, if you believe MSL, apparently Azoff had a hand in getting Robin to leave in 2008.

• Like 1

Really off topic, but I remember an interview where Axl said he'd like to see NIN re-do/remix Estranged. I was thinking about it the other day...that would've been pretty fucking cool.

WHAT

My favorite band remixing my favorite song by my other favorite band...

How have I not heard about this?

Really off topic, but I remember an interview where Axl said he'd like to see NIN re-do/remix Estranged. I was thinking about it the other day...that would've been pretty fucking cool.

WHAT

My favorite band remixing my favorite song by my other favorite band...

How have I not heard about this?

It was an interview from '92 or something, IIRC

could be totally wrong, but i assume NIN may mean a bit more to robin because it was his first big gig and he did that before GN'R. It was what landed him the GN'R job.

and, yes, Trent releases new music. I would feel creatively stifled if I spent years working with GN'R and they didn't even release a record with my contributions until after I left.

i'd love for Robin to come back at some point, but it seems highly unlikely.

Robin gets to play among some of the greatest musicians ever in NIN

Greatest musicians ever? I don't know; that seems like a bit of a stretch...

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but are you even aware of who has been in NIN? Because it's not a "stretch" at all.

Are you trying to tell me that Pino Palladio, Lisa Fischer, Trent Reznor, Adrian Belew and Mike Garson among many others, aren't considered some of the greatest musicians?

Ok, true, I'm not familiar with those musicians but don't doubt they're great. But like, by the same token, GN'R also do have world-class players.

Broski, come on, you picked an awful Axl picture and a great NIN one. It's not about the image...

This, lol.

The pictures are more symbolic than anything. And find me a picture of Axl 2011 onwards that isn't awful...or a NIN one that isfor that matter.

Let's compare latest proshot footage instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjSm7QhBhco

If you're any kind of sensible human being what band would you pick to be in?

Dude, cmon hahaha. Comparing those two?? You'z trollin now lol. Or if not trolling, pitting those two together are hardly fair.

As well as NIN having much more credibility within the industry, I'd imagine that Robin prefers performing the NIN catalogue.

That said, Robin is still very fond of GNR and its fanbase.

Edited by NGOG

As well as NIN having much more credibility within the industry, I'd imagine that Robin prefers performing the NIN catalogue.

That said, Robin is still very fond of GNR and its fanbase.

Source for you second statement. It's not the first time I see you saying this and would love to know how you know that. Thanks.

Regarding the Nine Inch Nails covering "Estranged," I believe in the interview Axl mentioned that and Nirvana covering "Welcome to the Jungle" would be his two dream covers.

Axl gets in the ring

Metallix, 1992

Have you ever thought about other groups you'd like to hear cover some Guns tunes?

I haven't even thought of that. But off the top of my head... I don't know. That's a hard one. I'd like to hear Nirvana do "Welcome To The Jungle." That's what I'd like to hear. I'd like to hear Nirvana do "Jungle" their way, however that is. And maybe Nine Inch Nails do anything, do "Estranged."

A tribute to Elton John & Bernie Taupin was released not too long ago, featuring other artists covering their favorite Elton songs. You're a big fan of his. What would you have covered?

We would do "Ballad Of A Well-Known Gun" if we did an Elton John thing. And we may even do that with this show coming up.

A great song from his Tumbleweed Connection album. Why would you pick that one?

It just fits us. I'm tired of hearing, "There goes a well-known gun..."

• Like 1

Regarding the Nine Inch Nails covering "Estranged," I believe in the interview Axl mentioned that and Nirvana covering "Welcome to the Jungle" would be his two dream covers.

When you read your post, you can see why Axl became so reluctant to discuss his favorite bands. He had nothing but praise for NIN and Nirvana, yet they always spoke negatively of GNR (and Axl in particular).

Finck is a shitty guitarist, NIN is a shitty band. They belong in the same spot so I can ignore them both at once.

I'm not sure why you would deny Robin the reputation of being a talented guitarist. Is it because he refused to play GNR songs verbatim?

• Like 1

When you read your post, you can see why Axl became so reluctant to discuss his favorite bands. He had nothing but praise for NIN and Nirvana, yet they always spoke negatively of GNR (and Axl in particular).

Finck is a shitty guitarist, NIN is a shitty band. They belong in the same spot so I can ignore them both at once.

I'm not sure why you would deny Robin the reputation of being a talented guitarist. Is it because he refused to play GNR songs verbatim?

There's a vast difference between refusing something and not being capable of it. Going by your logic, DJ refuses to play Slash's and Robin's parts verbatim. That's ridiculous.

No, I don't give him credit because he was easily the weakest guitarist on CD and he absolutely butchered Slash's material.

Edited by Damn_Smooth