I sort of miss "Madagascar"

I always wanted Madagascar to be more than it was. Like I wanted it to be the new Estranged. And there's a decent amount in there that's good, but after the whole voice montage and crescendo the song goes nowhere, just more of the "I won't be told anymore" verse. Total letdown. The album version is a slight improvement since it mixes in "if we ever find it's true" part at the same time. Still, after MLK and all that jazz, go big or go home. End of the song feels like Axl just kinda went home.

• Like 3

I always wanted Madagascar to be more than it was. Like I wanted it to be the new Estranged. And there's a decent amount in there that's good, but after the whole voice montage and crescendo the song goes nowhere, just more of the "I won't be told anymore" verse. Total letdown. The album version is a slight improvement since it mixes in "if we ever find it's true" part at the same time. Still, after MLK and all that jazz, go big or go home. End of the song feels like Axl just kinda went home.

Yeah you're not wrong. It should have ended like this:

http://youtu.be/1e9j_xbs-qw

That simple change in melody makes such a difference to the end.

• Like 2

Weird thing is I'm almost 30 and that VMA's 2002 performance is possibly why I'm still a fan to this day and beyond. Yeah it might not have been the greatest vocal performance but it still managed to captivate 17 year old me.

• Like 2

The extended scream from 2:49....

Weird thing is I'm almost 30 and that VMA's 2002 performance is possibly why I'm still a fan to this day and beyond. Yeah it might not have been the greatest vocal performance but it still managed to captivate 17 year old me.

Pretty much the same with me. I didn't really get into GNR until 2008 when Rock Band 2 was coming out and I read a review saying this "awful" new song from the long-delayed Chinese Democracy was premiering in the game. I then went to check out the leaks on YouTube and Axl's voice on Madagascar blew me away.

• Like 1

Pretty much the same with me. I didn't really get into GNR until 2008 when Rock Band 2 was coming out and I read a review saying this "awful" new song from the long-delayed Chinese Democracy was premiering in the game. I then went to check out the leaks on YouTube and Axl's voice on Madagascar blew me away.

Although I had heard of GNR I didn't get into them until 2000. I was on holiday with family and went into an internet cafe and found a site called gnr bar or something and eventually got hooked.

That's an awesome performance. As much as DJ tries to ruin it, he can't because Axl is just that incredible. The way he comes spinning down the catwalk @ 4:26.... :wub: Where'd you go, Axl? :(

Edited by magisme
  • Like 1

That's an awesome performance. As much as DJ tries to ruin it, he can't because Axl is just that incredible. The way he comes spinning down the catwalk @ 4:26.... :wub: Where'd you go, Axl? :(

Best gig I have ever been to in my life. I'd put it above L'Arc at 2nd just because of the way the crowd went fucking nuts when Duff came on, was so surreal seeing him standing over me.

Axl's extended "JUST SHUT UP AND SSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG" scream on Sorry as well from that show was killer (4:48):

And IRS from 2:38 to 3:40:

The previous night's gig was great as well but I was seated (only GNR show I've gone seated), so it wasn't as visceral an experience.

• Like 3