I sort of miss "Madagascar"

Madagascar suffered in 2011, those soundboards we got were pretty poor.

The earlier versions though were brilliant. 2010 had a lot of aggression. I wonder how Axl would approach IRS.

I went to one of the better 2012 shows (Atlantic City), but even there Madagascar was nowhere near as good as 2010:

IRS just wouldn't work without the '06/'10 rasp + power. It's a good thing Catcher became the '13/'14 staple because it doesn't sound as bad as Maddy with that voice (and there are even a few '12/'13 renditions which I prefer to some '10 versions of Catcher, the rasp was a bit too much for that song at times, one of the exceptions).

It is for me a huge symbol of the Nugnr era. The VMAs, listening to the 2002 soundboards for many years, then the rasp on the leak and on the CD, along with the marvelous guitar parts all over the song was extremely surprising, it really changes a lot. It is one of the tracks that I don't get tired of listening, and for some reason my friends who are not into GN'R really like it.

The 2010 versions were killer, it was pure magic hearing the song when they came on the SA tour. The chorus section never sounded as good as in 2010, imo.

It would have been great if he did this on the studio version though(2:59) on the "that we have the strength to choose" line

• Like 1

Speaking of songs I wish they would do again...I always enjoyed Shackler's Revenge. When I heard CD for the first time and it came on I immediately thought "wtf is this". Then I heard it live and it's a different animal, when sang in 2010 it had to be one if the coolest songs on the setlist!

• Like 1

Speaking of songs I wish they would do again...I always enjoyed Shackler's Revenge. When I heard CD for the first time and it came on I immediately thought "wtf is this". Then I heard it live and it's a different animal, when sang in 2010 it had to be one if the coolest songs on the setlist!

Being at the front those fireworks are very loud, we had to keep covering our ears & I noticed someone behind the scenes doing the same.

He's much more active on this - plus he sounds good too.

It was certainly one of the highlights of the CD era - loved the inclusion of the Cool Hand Luke sample from Civil War when I first heard it - it's a great nod to the old era of the band. I thought the live intro they gave it in 2010 with Bumble playing guitar was great.

It is for me a huge symbol of the Nugnr era. The VMAs, listening to the 2002 soundboards for many years, then the rasp on the leak and on the CD, along with the marvelous guitar parts all over the song was extremely surprising, it really changes a lot. It is one of the tracks that I don't get tired of listening, and for some reason my friends who are not into GN'R really like it.

The 2010 versions were killer, it was pure magic hearing the song when they came on the SA tour. The chorus section never sounded as good as in 2010, imo.

It would have been great if he did this on the studio version though(2:59) on the "that we have the strength to choose" line

Two of the greatest alt. rock guitarists of the last decade in your band. What do you do? You frustrate them and make them leave. Genius, Axl.

• Like 1

Are there any versions that don't have the movie clips playing over the solo?

I'm sure there are, but if not there's an easy way to make one for yourself. The movie clips aren't on Rock Band 2, so you can make yourself a version without the movie clips from those files.

Damn it, I was listening to the Rio 3 version again... what a solo. Too bad BH kept changing it everytime. It was perfect. Melodic, interesting, good use of the killswitch, fit the song perfectly.

Yeah, the RIR version was perfect, that Albany one posted earlier was lackadaisical.

Listened to that '12 Atlantic City one again for first time in years, Axl's pretty good on it, not '10 good, but he gets the rasp in there a few times and the clean voice isn't as bad as it would be by the Zepp Tokyo. Fortus really messes up the solo, though, rare thing for him.

Listen to this shit. I mean, listen to that powerful voice. Absolutely amazing.

What the hell happened to that guy in 2010...wow. What a performance.

It's so weird how his voice changed over the years. In 2002 he sang everything so clean -- and I got used to hearing tracks like The Blues and Madagascar with the clean vocals, so it always sounded fine when he sang them that way -- but hearing them with the rasp in 2010 is bizarre and awesome at the same time.