Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

That's why I compared it to zeppelin, because they did the 02 thing, then everybody gets to sail off into the sunset. It just seems like that's all VH has left to do also. But as I've said before, they have a pretty massive discography, unlike gnr. So as a fan, I can't be mad about that. My need for New VH music is not nearly as high as New gnr music. I feel like they owe us more. More music, a reunion, or something. But with VH, they don't owe me anything, I just am hoping for the best, lol.

That's why I compared it to zeppelin, because they did the 02 thing, then everybody gets to sail off into the sunset. It just seems like that's all VH has left to do also. But as I've said before, they have a pretty massive discography, unlike gnr. So as a fan, I can't be mad about that. My need for New VH music is not nearly as high as New gnr music. I feel like they owe us more. More music, a reunion, or something. But with VH, they don't owe me anything, I just am hoping for the best, lol.

Yeah, I agree. I think a final, massive "hoorah" for VH would be cool

Yeah, I agree. I think a final, massive "hoorah" for VH would be cool

Yes, it would be cool for Van Halen to get a send off, although I don't think they really need one. I think its way different than Zeppelin. Zeppelin ended so abruptly and so long ago that one last show was such a good way to end it. They ended admirably when Bonham died (to me, thats more writing the book on how to end a band than a reunion), and so many years later they found a reason to finally do it one last time. And let's not forget, that would have gone on so much longer had Jimmy had the chance. He's been begging and Robert's not backing down, which I like. I agree with you that the final show, the last reunion live album is the perfect way to close the door, despite what Jimmy thinks.

Van Halen is completely different IMO. IMO, the end is the reunion with Dave. Thats the same as Zep. It ended so abruptly and so long ago that thats what everyone really wanted. Another album and tour was just icing on the cake. Personally, I'm not a fan of Van Hagar (I love Sammy solo and with Montrose but not with Van Halen) so its an era that I don't really care about. But, if I did, I'd say its fair to say they had a good run, and they had their reunion with Sammy in 2004. It ended badly, but it happened. I personally don't think there are many begging for that like they were for Zep or for GNR. GNR is another group that ended so fast and never got that last farewell, so they are closer to Zep to me than Van Halen.

So again, to me, I don't really think Van Halen needs to do anything. To me, the reunion with Dave was what had to happen. Yeah it wasn't with Michael Anthony, and I love Michael so it is a really big deal, but its not the thing I think people will remember. People will remember that Dave went back to his old band and people say Dave and Eddie together again. That was really all that ever had to happen again. Like I said, everything else that happens after that is icing on the cake. One last show or tour would be cool, but it seems like a big hoopla over something that really isn't anymore, and I think most people are over Van Halen. If they end now, I think most would be pretty satisfied. And thats not something you would have said 10 years ago. In my mind, the only thing that could bring them further is a full reunion with Michael Anthony, which even then I don't think I'd get tickets to, and even then won't beat the 2007 setlist, which in my book is maybe the all time best "let's get back together and play all our best songs" type of shows a band has ever done.

Van Halen had 2 "lifetimes" of bands and reconnected with the former lead singers so if they called it a day, it's out there, documented and they have enough in the vault to mine archive releases. Sam and Dave can't stand each other but they would definitely be willing to tour, Dave's put a lot aside to keep Eddie happy. He also keeps in touch with Alex so he knows how Ed's doing, they were the ones who were good friends, not Dave and Eddie. You also have to remember they spent time with Dave's dad and Ed & Alex's parents so there's more than just the professional stuff. Valerie was good friends with Dave's sister (and she's still somewhat close to Ed0 , so you have those connections going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Russ,

Do you think that the vinyl might come with a digital download option? I decided against buying the CD, because I just plain don't listen to cds anymore. Where as I love vinyl and of course want mp3s. I've never bought a New album in just vinyl before, and I haven't heard anything from the official sources on this.

Hey Russ,

Do you think that the vinyl might come with a digital download option? I decided against buying the CD, because I just plain don't listen to cds anymore. Where as I love vinyl and of course want mp3s. I've never bought a New album in just vinyl before, and I haven't heard anything from the official sources on this.

I'd say about 90% of the new vinyl I buy comes with a download code. I can't remember if aDKoT did or not though.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Unchained is indeed better for Roth than the other two preview tracks. If he actually stuck relatively close to how he sang in the studio for most songs he'd probably sound passable, but he's always treated his live takes as a big ad-lib and focused more on his physical performance. I'll Wait was a real highlight both times I saw them in 2012 since Dave actually tried to sing it.

• Like 1

Hey Russ,

I'd say about 90% of the new vinyl I buy comes with a download code. I can't remember if aDKoT did or not though.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

I don't think ADKOT did, but I can't guarantee that. I'll check in a bit, if it did I know my copy will still have the download card in it.

Unchained is indeed better for Roth than the other two preview tracks. If he actually stuck relatively close to how he sang in the studio for most songs he'd probably sound passable, but he's always treated his live takes as a big ad-lib and focused more on his physical performance. I'll Wait was a real highlight both times I saw them in 2012 since Dave actually tried to sing it.

I'll Wait has been a highlight every time I've seen VH live. I agree completely that if Dave didn't go off on his own so much he wouldn't get so much shit for being awful live.

I'll wait is probably in my top 5 favorite VH songs. I know 1984 gets a lot of Shit, especially back when it came out, but that album is fucking brilliant. I'll wait is defiantly one of the highlights, But every song on that album is good if not ggreat. Honeslty Jump is probably my least favorite on the whole album. But Panama and Hot for teacher are the two most "rocking" songs VH ever did IMO, even over the first album. I think their hit status has made them over played, But if someone had never heard of VH, those 2 songs would be one of, if not the first songs I played for somebody.

But back to I'll wait, like Jump, the keyboards turned people off on that song originally. But looking at it now, in 2015, I think it is absolutely brilliant. The keyboard sound is So freaking haunting, way better than Jump. Dave's lyrics are arguably the best of his entire career, honestly who doesn't sing that song when it's on? And Eddie's solo, is fucking of singing quality, Its one of those solos, where you can actually sing the notes. I hear a lot of people knocking Eddie's solos, because he did "noodle" to much on VH 2, women, fair warning, and diver down. But starting with his beat it solo, he started taking solos seriously again, and it really shows on 1984, especially I'll Wait. Obviously his solos on the debut are all stellar, the best of his ccareer really, but he did go off in an odd direction for most of the Roth years. But starting with 1984 he came back down to reality, and carried that through the entire Sammy years, which as a whole I feel he had better solos.

Remember I am talking about his solos, not overall guitar work, because Fair Warning and VH 2 have incredible guitar riffs and everything else, far better than the Sammy years. But his solos we're far more tasteful later on.