W. Axl Rose owns a trademark for "Stay of Execution".

Having to take Slash to rehab or worrying about them dying and the band ending were probably the concerns of the label. Keeping them alive probably was a hassle.

Then of course you have Axl. Definitely caused his fair share of problems. But it's more out of the bands pockets. It's like riot? Goody more album sales.

Slash said due to all the toga parties and late shows he didn't make much off the UYI tours. But the label must have made 100s of millions of dollars from record sales.

:rofl-lol:

Each UYI is a single album, but the vinyl was 2 LP's. That's the argument, right?

edit: how the fuck did this thread devolve into this? :lol:

Physical Graphitti is seen as a double album, right? 15 tracks.

UYI I has 16 tracks? Basically 2 records, a double album.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Chinese Democracy is basically the same length as both Illusions.

Nobody in their right mind has ever called CD a double album.

Appetite is almost twice as long as Lies. So would you consider Appetite a double album as well?

Wasted, the reason people are even discussing this is because a few people are saying that the Illusions were double albums in an attempt to make Axl's output seem bigger than it really is. It's just more of the silly nonsense that starts ridiculous arguments on here. People twist the "facts" to try and make Axl/Slash look better or worse. It really is just silly.

Again.

Illusions were longer albums than most. But they most certainly weren't double albums and you cant count them as "four" albums in GnR's discography. Just like you can't count CD as a double release.

Slash's last album World of Fire is LONGER than either Illusion and has more songs on it than either Illusion.

I guess it's a double album?

Edited by Apollo

2 LP can mean "double album" for some, but it's not always consistent on what's a double album and what's just a long album. Albums like Zep's Physical Graffiti are often considered "double albums" while Floyd's The Wall is usually just considered one long album.

Logically, someone can consider UYI 1 and 2 as two double albums, since both were 2 LP's long. ChiDem was never considered a double album, from what I recall

Anyhoo... I wouldn't read too much into this. We all know Axl is a man with good intentions but poor follow through. There might have been a plan at one time to call a soon to be released album Stay of Execution, but plans regarding the album and/or its name have likely changed at this point.

2 LP can mean "double album" for some, but it's not always consistent on what's a double album and what's just a long album. Albums like Zep's Physical Graffiti are often considered "double albums" while Floyd's The Wall is usually just considered one long album.

Logically, someone can consider UYI 1 and 2 as two double albums, since both were 2 LP's long. ChiDem was never considered a double album, from what I recall

World on Fire is longer and has more songs than either Illusion - is anybody calling it a double album?

Like I said earlier - it's all about context.

If somebody is talking about the actual "physical" form of the Illusions related to record albums - and each Illusion had to be on two records --- then technically you could say it was a double album.

BUT in terms of saying "how many releases did GnR have?".......nobody counts the Illusions and Chinese Democracy as "two" releases for each one.

GnR has released five albums of original material - Appetite, Lies, Illusions I and II and Chinese Democracy. Nobody says "GnR has released eight albums of original material."

Just like nobody says that World on Fire is a double-album.

World on Fire is longer and has more songs than either Illusion - is anybody calling it a double album?

If somebody is talking about the actual "physical" form of the Illusions related to record albums - and each Illusion had to be on two records --- then technically you could say it was a double album.

BUT in terms of saying "how many releases did GnR have?".......nobody counts the Illusions and Chinese Democracy as "two" releases for each one.

GnR has released five albums of original material - Appetite, Lies, Illusions I and II and Chinese Democracy. Nobody says "GnR has released eight albums of original material."

When someone says double album, i personally think in the physical sense. Not as in they count as two releases. Like both Illusions were two albums. Physical Graffiti is two albums. Exile on Main Street is two albums.

I bought UYI albums the day that were released, there were two double albums...

...N' the price in Spain was two double albums too! Guns said the price was the same as an LP, but Spanish industry f@cked us, or the store, I don't know...

...but WTF! This is not the thread about "Stay Of Execution"?

Edited by axljungle

Anyhoo... I wouldn't read too much into this. We all know Axl is a man with good intentions but poor follow through. There might have been a plan at one time to call a soon to be released album Stay of Execution, but plans regarding the album and/or its name have likely changed at this point.

Absolutely man. Do you think it will be double albums like the Illusions? :lol:

Nobody cares about World on Fire

What's considered a "double album" is typically two separate albums that are considered companions like Stone Sour's House of Gold and Bones, but it's a term that can be used for any album that's two LP's in length. Doesn't really mean anything besides it's long, and casuals will skip most of the tracks on it :lol:

When someone says double album, i personally think in the physical sense. Not as in they count as two releases. Like both Illusions were two albums. Physical Graffiti is two albums. Exile on Main Street is two albums.

So when somebody says how many albums has Zeppelin released, you count PG as two releases and not one?

CD is the same length as Illusions. World on Fire is longer than either Illusion. I've never heard anybody refer to them as multiples and not a single release.

So when somebody says how many albums has Zeppelin released, you count PG as two releases and not one?

CD is the same length as Illusions. World on Fire is longer than either Illusion. I've never heard anybody refer to them as multiples and not a single release.

I said not as in 2 releases...one release, two physical vinyls.

It's one release its just a double album. I don't get why it's so hard to understand. On vinyl it's a double album if it's a on two records. It could be 5 records long, but if it's the same album it's a single release. Uyi are two single albums. Uyi1 and uyi2. Two single albums. But of course it's two double albums as far as vinyl goes. Only two albums tho. Two releases. This thread us WAAY off topic. Who cares about Axl trademarks. Not like he's going to release anything.

This.

Having to take Slash to rehab or worrying about them dying and the band ending were probably the concerns of the label. Keeping them alive probably was a hassle.

Then of course you have Axl. Definitely caused his fair share of problems. But it's more out of the bands pockets. It's like riot? Goody more album sales.

Slash said due to all the toga parties and late shows he didn't make much off the UYI tours. But the label must have made 100s of millions of dollars from record sales.

:rofl-lol:

Each UYI is a single album, but the vinyl was 2 LP's. That's the argument, right?

edit: how the fuck did this thread devolve into this? :lol:

Physical Graphitti is seen as a double album, right? 15 tracks.

UYI I has 16 tracks? Basically 2 records, a double album.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Chinese Democracy is basically the same length as both Illusions.

Nobody in their right mind has ever called CD a double album.

Appetite is almost twice as long as Lies. So would you consider Appetite a double album as well?

Wasted, the reason people are even discussing this is because a few people are saying that the Illusions were double albums in an attempt to make Axl's output seem bigger than it really is. It's just more of the silly nonsense that starts ridiculous arguments on here. People twist the "facts" to try and make Axl/Slash look better or worse. It really is just silly.

Again.

Illusions were longer albums than most. But they most certainly weren't double albums and you cant count them as "four" albums in GnR's discography. Just like you can't count CD as a double release.

Slash's last album World of Fire is LONGER than either Illusion and has more songs on it than either Illusion.

I guess it's a double album?

Is it a double record? If so it's a double album in the 70s.

A double record in the 70s is a cd of 15-17 songs these days.

UYI and Spag Inc took them to the point where they would put out a record in 96 but it never happened.

So for Axl to get something out with a new line up by 99-2000 seems about right. But it didn't happen.

Maybe the Beavan record was too "industrial", maybe RTB record was a bit of a mess, maybe Costanzo did pull these two sides together and finally get a record Axl was happy with by 2004.

You get the feeling past 2004 the label had washed their hands of CD. That's when Axl seemed to get more serious. Once they saw he meant business again, Azzof flew in with the Best Buy deal to save everyone.

No.

I've never heard anyone claiming that the illusions are four single releases, not even the so-called Axl nutters. If somebody is talking about a 'double album' it's always related to the physical format and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Marc meant when he referred to the Illusions as double albums, because back then Vinyl was still the primary medium.

Correct.

Correct. GnR has relased six official studio albums, five albums with original material namely Appetite - Single Album on Vinyl, Lies - Single Album on Vinyl (technically it's an EP though :lol: ), Illusion I - Double Album on Viny, Illusions II - Double Album on VInyl, Chinese Democracy - Single Album on CD), one cover album (Spaghetti - Single Album on Vinyl/CD) and one live album (Live Era - Double album on CD).

Correct.

One release, format: double album on Vinyl

Again, it has nothing to do with the total running time or the amount of releases, but with the format it was released on. One release can be a single, double or quadruple album, but not the other way round.

I think we can get back on topic now - what's it about anyway? A new GnR album? :lol: I'm out...

• Like 1

Axl made the point UYI was 4 records. I think he sees things in a 70s kind of way. He's also talked about sides of vinyl being important. Like a good opening and closing track per side.

To me the 90s are old band. They could have put out UYI II in 94 and Spag in 96. They put it out in 91 and couldn't follow it up.

Records used to get 9 or 10 tracks.

But an album could be anything.

It could be one record or 3 cds like Emancipation by Prince.

They just called double records, double albums.

But a cd with the same amount of tracks is just an album.

So when Canter said each UYI was a double album, I think he meant a double record. Not that UYI was like 2 cds worth of material. I think anyway.

I think in the 90s I just expected a cd to have 12-14 songs, that was an album to me. I never knew old album had less songs until I bought Doors and Aerosmith cds. Like Draw the Line I was like is that it? 9 songs and 3 kind of suck.

How many songs are considered an album? If there any specific number?

Pretty good description, but nowadays with CDs, Bonus tracks and Digital Releases the line is blurred (wikipedia also offers a good explanation).

Singles- These are typically records with 2 songs max. They can contain multiple versions from clean, dirty, acapella to instrumental. These were once sold but now a days they are given to DJ’s for spins mostly.

EP- Extended Play, This is a collection of music with more than just the single but not long enough to qualify as a studio album. Estimated length that the industry gives is 25 minutes or 4 tracks. And there have been numerous double EPs released over time.

LP- Long Play, This is a collection of music that qualifies as a full album release. Usually 40 minutes or 10 tracks at the minimum. There have been multiple disc albums up to 4x released in history.

Album- What an album is today is a LP that is promoted and sold where Neilsen Soundscan can keep track; also count towards a record contract to being completed. Albums are made by artists but controlled by record labels on every level; even the creation process.

Mixtapes- These have become underground albums today that are given away for free containing both original and unoriginal works. The soul purpose is to build a fan base not profit. Typically the artist is in complete control of this project so they decide the length, content, etc.

Edited by misch

How many songs are considered an album? If there any specific number?

It's more based on length, since each side of an LP can hold 16-25 or so minutes of music. So a typical single album is about 30-50 minutes

What's considered a single/EP/LP is up to the artist nowadays, since there's been EP's which are the length of an LP, singles which are 40+ minutes in length and albums that are about 15 minutes long :lol:

I bought UYI albums the day that were released, there were two double albums...

Really? I thought there was Nosaj Thing? Lol.

It's one release its just a double album. I don't get why it's so hard to understand. On vinyl it's a double album if it's a on two records. It could be 5 records long, but if it's the same album it's a single release. Uyi are two single albums. Uyi1 and uyi2. Two single albums. But of course it's two double albums as far as vinyl goes. Only two albums tho. Two releases. This thread us WAAY off topic. Who cares about Axl trademarks. Not like he's going to release anything.

Sorry for my english, I tried to say two records in one album.

I'm too old for you, because in Spain, in 90's the term double is for a vinyl with two records