Slash's New Album - Conspirators III

Slash2baz

Psycho Killer was the best song and it was a cover. There were some good tunes. Let it roll was good. Grave Dancer was kind of cheesy. She Mine was lame. Get out the Door was overrated cause Dave came up with the riff. American Man was good. Last Fight was nice, I thought could have been a good single, but failed. SBQM was dumb. Pills Demons was actually okay. Best song from those sessions was Messages.

• Like 2

Psycho Killer was the best song and it was a cover. There were some good tunes. Let it roll was good. Grave Dancer was kind of cheesy. She Mine was lame. Get out the Door was overrated cause Dave came up with the riff. American Man was good. Last Fight was nice, I thought could have been a good single, but failed. SBQM was dumb. Pills Demons was actually okay. Best song from those sessions was Messages.

They should have released Messages first with a moving tribute video to the victims of 9/11, donating all proceeds to charity. It could have been huge and sent the album on its way. Follow up with Last Fight while the public are still warm.

Really liked Psycho Killer too,

• Like 1

They should have released Messages first with a moving tribute video to the victims of 9/11, donating all proceeds to charity. It could have been huge and sent the album on its way. Follow up with Last Fight while the public are still warm.

I agree that could have really changed things.

I don't think Libertad is all that bad. Its a clear decline from Contraband, which had everything going for it. I don't think its a perfect record, but it was exactly what was needed at that time. Older guys doing rock that sounded current and had traction and success. You couldn't get better than that. Libertad, unless it was more of the same, was always gonna suffer.

Basically smoking guns is kind of right that everything was second rate. I LOVE Let It Roll, The Last Fight, Messages, Just Sixteen, and I think She Builds Quick Machines, Pills Demons, Mary Mary, and Gravedancer are all very good. Psycho Killer is a great cover, with ELO being a little less so but not bad. When you look at all that, there's little I DON'T like on the record. Just the "very good" stuff doesn't measure to the first album, then you have a few songs I hate (Spay, For A Brother), mixed in with a few fine covers. There's nothing really bad about the album, but there's also too little thats excellent. But overall its a solid effort. I give them credit for trying. And the tour for it was really good. Its my least favorite post GNR Slash album, but thats really just by default. His solo albums and the Snakepit records were just far better IMO, so Libertad suffers by comparison. But its really a fine record. Doesn't deserve the hate it gets, although granted because I'm a Slash/Duff/Sorum fan I probably gave it more chances than the general public did. I can understand it being unremarkable on one or two listens.

EDIT: How can I forget Don't Drop That Dime?! Lol. I was happy they took some chances at least before the band dissolved.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

I agree that could have really changed things.

I don't think Libertad is all that bad. Its a clear decline from Contraband, which had everything going for it. I don't think its a perfect record, but it was exactly what was needed at that time. Older guys doing rock that sounded current and had traction and success. You couldn't get better than that. Libertad, unless it was more of the same, was always gonna suffer.

Basically smoking guns is kind of right that everything was second rate. I LOVE Let It Roll, The Last Fight, Messages, Just Sixteen, and I think She Builds Quick Machines, Pills Demons, Mary Mary, and Gravedancer are all very good. Psycho Killer is a great cover, with ELO being a little less so but not bad. When you look at all that, there's little I DON'T like on the record. Just the "very good" stuff doesn't measure to the first album, then you have a few songs I hate (Spay, For A Brother), mixed in with a few fine covers. There's nothing really bad about the album, but there's also too little thats excellent. But overall its a solid effort. I give them credit for trying. And the tour for it was really good. Its my least favorite post GNR Slash album, but thats really just by default. His solo albums and the Snakepit records were just far better IMO, so Libertad suffers by comparison. But its really a fine record. Doesn't deserve the hate it gets, although granted because I'm a Slash/Duff/Sorum fan I probably gave it more chances than the general public did. I can understand it being unremarkable on one or two listens.

EDIT: How can I forget Don't Drop That Dime?! Lol. I was happy they took some chances at least before the band dissolved.

The band said that Scott had moved into "my way or the highway" mode when it came to song choices so alot of what's wrong with Libertad could have been down to him.

Like CD I've gone back time and again to force myself from one end to the other and while there are flashes of greatness my lasting impression (unfortunately) is that its a well executed but second rate album.

Recently I gave it a listen too but I still consider it a very bad album. There are maybe 2 or 3 songs that I would like to hear again.

I like Let It Roll (hate the lyrics though), Gravedancer which reminds me of Fall To Pieces, Slash's guitar work in American Man, and again Slash in Just 16.

Contraband had balls, there was hunger there, and better songs and riffs. Solos too.

Edited by Rovim

I had enough of Myles and the conspirators.

He should do another Snakepit with Rod.

Not gonna happen ! ;)

I love Rod, really great singer though.

I think some people don't understand that Slash is really happy with the Conspirators. He loves his band and can do what he really likes with it. No dramas, no drugs, booze, just writing songs and touring the world playing the music he loves.

I see another problem with this new album: Myles has always found a good balance between ALTER BRIDGE and Slash but it looks like he is with Slash A LOT.

The guy can't have proper holidays, he is a fn' machine !

He was supposed to release a solo album since like 2008 but he has no windows for it unfortunately; it's all about Slash or Alter Bridge.

Like some people here, i think they need to take MORE time to write an album, add little stuff here and there... to get a better quality of writing / production.

I loved "World on Fire", definitely a good album, but I'm expecting maybe less straight rock n' roll and more diversity and colors in their music.

Like some people here, i think they need to take MORE time to write an album, add little stuff here and there... to get a better quality of writing / production.

I loved "World on Fire", definitely a good album, but I'm expecting maybe less straight rock n' roll and more diversity and colors in their music.

I don't know how likely that is, regardless of time. These guys are a no frills straight ahead hard rock band. No more, no less, and they're very good at it.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

Not gonna happen ! ;)

Too bad, because Rod is an incredible frontman. Slash should invite Rod to perform Serial Killer in one of his upcoming shows. That would be killer.

• Like 1

They didn't accept Rubin to work with other bands simultaneously. They wanted him to concentrate on Libertad full time.

I think that was the reason if Im remember correctly

that was one of the reasons, the other one was that rubin didn't think they had enough good songs at that time, so he makes them keep writing and writing...till they finally fired him..

and they were right... although Libertad is not really my fav album, but with Rick Rubin it would sound awful

Hoooly shit i was basically ripped apart, because i defended Black Sabbath's 13, but people still blaming the band for making ' a shitty album" " copying themselves" etc. and they wasn't noticed that Rubin influenced that album and every bad aspect related to him....

I still don't get disdain for Libertad.. I loved that album...

I thought the vocals were weak and Slash's tone seemed different and his solo's were lacking.

I liked Slash's different tone and his solos were the only things that i would consider really good on that album

Not gonna happen ! ;)

I think some people don't understand that Slash is really happy with the Conspirators. He loves his band and can do what he really likes with it. No dramas, no drugs, booze, just writing songs and touring the world playing the music he loves.

I see another problem with this new album: Myles has always found a good balance between ALTER BRIDGE and Slash but it looks like he is with Slash A LOT.

The guy can't have proper holidays, he is a fn' machine !

He was supposed to release a solo album since like 2008 but he has no windows for it unfortunately; it's all about Slash or Alter Bridge.

Myles should choose AL :P

Give a call to Rod Jackson then write with the rest of the band= probably a killer record, a singer with balls=profit

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

I don't know how likely that is, regardless of time. These guys are a no frills straight ahead hard rock band. No more, no less, and they're very good at it.

Yeah, they've been gaining momentum for a while now. This will be the third album together. The natural advantage of just playing together all the time and getting better at working as a unit means they're improving all the time.

I have a feeling the next album will be killer if it's inspired and Myles writes good lyrics. They can do a modern version of Aerosmith, harder version of Rocks.

There's a sound there. Stretch the structure of the songs a little more like beneath the savage sun or how Slash uses the riff of Too Far Gone in a different way in the bridge.

More songs on the caliber of Wicked Stone. More Todd.

Yeah, they've been gaining momentum for a while now. This will be the third album together. The natural advantage of just playing together all the time and getting better at working as a unit means they're improving all the time.

I have a feeling the next album will be killer if it's inspired and Myles writes good lyrics. They can do a modern version of Aerosmith, harder version of Rocks.

There's a sound there. Stretch the structure of the songs a little more like beneath the savage sun or how Slash uses the riff of Too Far Gone in a different way in the bridge.

Totally agree. I think while they are a no frills hard rock band, time is important. I'd be fine if they kept pumping out albums if it was all their only main gig. But its not. They can keep pumping out albums they way they are, but if they do I don't think the songs are gonna improve, at least by Myles' standard. So if they don't change anything (which I feel they might not) I don't know if they'll be gaining any new fans. What we have now is basically how it would stay is what I imagine.

I think for a third record (4th Slash record) a lot of inspiration will be necessary, especially on Myles' part. Personally, I think that means him taking a bit of break, and not just trying to write the first lyrics that come to mind as fast as possible to satisfy the amount of song ideas he gets from Slash and Tremonti. In a perfect world, I would say I'd love it if they toured the rest of the year for this record, took a year off, and came back in the summer of 2017, or a bit earlier. With that amount of time, I think they'd come up with something really great and really inspired and you'd get a bunch of songs at that very high level. But also, in this perfect world Alter Bridge doesn't exist because to me I just don't care about them that much (seem like nice guys, but the music's done nothing for me).

Basically, I see no way for them to stop working the way they are. With two bands, Myles doesn't have time to take an extended break without sidelining one of his projects for a really long time, and Tremonti and Slash both seem like too much of workaholics to let that happen. I totally think they could do the modern version of Rocks. But if I'm being honest, I don't think they'll ever have the time to do that because I don't see them changing the way they work. An example of that is how Todd hasn't gotten ANY songs on his second record and third tour with Slash, even though I agree with you and would love to see more of him. I think as good and tight as a band they are live and in the studio, its not a band in the same way Aerosmith was back when they were doing albums like Rocks. They aren't hungry, its not their only priority. For lack of a better word, its a job. Its a job they do extremely well and that they deliver, but its a job that I don't see them reaching a higher level with than they are at now. At least thats how I see it. But hey, I think the new album is probably their best so its very possible I'm wrong and the albums keep getting better and better.

Also, aside from his comment about Rod (who I love but Myles just seems far more consistent and reliable), I agree with pretty much everything Strange Broue said.

• Like 1

I think for a third record (4th Slash record) a lot of inspiration will be necessary, especially on Myles' part. Personally, I think that means him taking a bit of break, and not just trying to write the first lyrics that come to mind as fast as possible to satisfy the amount of song ideas he gets from Slash and Tremonti. In a perfect world, I would say I'd love it if they toured the rest of the year for this record, took a year off, and came back in the summer of 2017, or a bit earlier. With that amount of time, I think they'd come up with something really great and really inspired and you'd get a bunch of songs at that very high level. But also, in this perfect world Alter Bridge doesn't exist because to me I just don't care about them that much (seem like nice guys, but the music's done nothing for me).

Obviously, in my perfect world, Alter Bridge would doing the things that Slash/Myles/Conspirators would do (tour areas like South America, Mexico, Canada, etc.) and make their setlists a little more unpredictable and would do the things that they should be doing, that other bands like Halestorm are doing, where no other prolific projects or record label debts are holding them back in getting up there with the more successful active rock radio bands (Halestorm, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, A7X, etc.). Also, in my ideal perfect world, I would be on more speaking terms with the person that I cherish the most, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, in your perfect world, Myles Kennedy wouldn't be that one of two heroes to me in life if working with Slash was the only project for him to do. He would just a great singer in a great band rather than, in addition, being the guy I look for a lot solace in life with his lyrics/guitar-playing/mild-mannered personality. Sorry for the brief rant, believe me, that could have been a lot nastier and probably more fandom-induced.

As for this next album with the Conspirators, I would be all for it and would be happy to hear more songs from them. As for taking their time process more than as usual, it's going to be a bit tough and I sure as hell don't want AB's time to get compromised in the process.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 2

ok so, apparently, from what i've heard lately, if you find that "World Of Fire" is rocky, you would love the next one cause according to Slash, that will be even more a rocky album ! :headbang:
Nothing's related to Rocky Balboa :lol:

• Like 1

Totally agree. I think while they are a no frills hard rock band, time is important. I'd be fine if they kept pumping out albums if it was all their only main gig. But its not. They can keep pumping out albums they way they are, but if they do I don't think the songs are gonna improve, at least by Myles' standard. So if they don't change anything (which I feel they might not) I don't know if they'll be gaining any new fans. What we have now is basically how it would stay is what I imagine.

Basically, I see no way for them to stop working the way they are. With two bands, Myles doesn't have time to take an extended break without sidelining one of his projects for a really long time, and Tremonti and Slash both seem like too much of workaholics to let that happen. I totally think they could do the modern version of Rocks. But if I'm being honest, I don't think they'll ever have the time to do that because I don't see them changing the way they work. An example of that is how Todd hasn't gotten ANY songs on his second record and third tour with Slash, even though I agree with you and would love to see more of him. I think as good and tight as a band they are live and in the studio, its not a band in the same way Aerosmith was back when they were doing albums like Rocks. They aren't hungry, its not their only priority. For lack of a better word, its a job. Its a job they do extremely well and that they deliver, but its a job that I don't see them reaching a higher level with than they are at now. At least thats how I see it. But hey, I think the new album is probably their best so its very possible I'm wrong and the albums keep getting better and better.

Also, aside from his comment about Rod (who I love but Myles just seems far more consistent and reliable), I agree with pretty much everything Strange Broue said.

If it was a job to Slash, he wouldn't be financing his own albums, distribution, or tours. I think people forget that Slash is his own record label, and get's no financial support from any record companies. The only conceivable change I'd like to see is bring Izzy into the fold to play rythm off of Slash's lead during the writing and recording of the album. But all this nonsense about bringing back Rod Jackson or the other guy that sang on the Snakepit stuff is just bullshit. Do any of you see Slash dealing with a singer with issues after having worked with Myles the last 5 years who seems like the most professional rock singer on the face of the planet? Especially after dealing with Axl and Scott? Did any of you folks read his book? Get over it and stop with the utter nonsense.

• Like 1

But all this nonsense about bringing back Rod Jackson or the other guy that sang on the Snakepit stuff is just bullshit. Do any of you see Slash dealing with a singer with issues after having worked with Myles the last 5 years who seems like the most professional rock singer on the face of the planet? Especially after dealing with Axl and Scott? Did any of you folks read his book? Get over it and stop with the utter nonsense.

Especially when you consider that anyone else that could come in to sing, wouldn't have the range to do all the material they do right now. It's very unlikely anyone else could come in and go from Starlight-high to Slither-low, and even if they pulled it off once because they tried really really hard, they'd blow their voice after 3 nights of a tour. It's almost laughable to think or Rod Jackson trying.