The "Axl/Slash/Duff + 2 Mystery Players Re-banded But Not A Reunion Tour" Thread - Announcement Imminent!

I'm still clinging on to the hope that pitman will just be a sort of Teddy Zigzag in all of this. I am not completely content with the thought of a majority of NUGNR members in the band, which will be the case if they bring a whole circus up there

Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Fortus, Frank, Pitman (and Izzy, in some form), that's only 3 nuGNR members. (yes I count Dizzy as an original member, since he was their first keyboard player, and around for 26 years).

It really shocks me Slash is agreeing to that. I've always supported him, and still will, because I feel he's level headed. Duff as well, if not more. But it is odd what they get out of this. This isn't "the band" they were in, and I'm surprised already by how much Axl has gotten in this.

At the end of the day this is all about $$$$ and giving the fans a little bit back. They all toured for 20+ years playing the same GNR songs. Might as well do it together and milk it as much as they can. They are all in their 50s, they won't be able to do it later. Is now or never. We've gone in circles mentioning Izzy and Steven, Izzy will do some shows and Steven can't put up with a whole tour, but like I said the Izzy Steven thing as been discussed for months now.

I know, and I don't mean to judge it up. People can disagree, but to me Slash has been relatively about integrity since leaving GNR. This does seem strange when considering that. I want to believe its not a money grab, in the way that Slash and Duff aren't just doing it for the money. I'm having a really hard time with that if its most NuGuns, which many agree it just shouldn't be. Hence, you get Matt at least.

Hey I agree, I'd love to see the UYI line up. Matt and Gilby if Izzy and Steven were not up to it. Slash has integrity along with Duff, I think they wanted to give back to the fans after so many years, and I actually believe Axl wanted to give back as well.

My thinking though is that Duff (I don't even need to keep bringing up Slash anymore) KNOWS what a GNR reunion means. And this isn't it. I'm not saying its bad, but its not what people would choose. So why are they all of a sudden rolling over to do THIS. This hybrid. I understand no Gilby, I understand no Steven. The Matt thing, there must have been something there. Cause there's no way Slash and Duff just agreed to Axl not liking him, but in that case isn't it just already bringing up old problems. That Axl controls. I just have a hard time believing those two would get so on board for this when they know what everyone wants.

A one off with originals could potentinally mean more than a tour thats a hybrid.

Who knows, maybe Slash and Duff realize Matt was just a hired hand the same as Frank. His most memorable moment (the drum intro to YCBM) was written by Duff after all. No one should feel any loyalty or sympathy for Sorum. He is in the Hall of Fame on the coattails of Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Steven. Matt and Dizzy are the luckiest dudes in the history of rock and roll IMHO.

I won't argue that. But seriously, they've been playing with the guy for 20 years now since the breakup. They had a whole other successful band with him. Duff and Matt ARE Kings Of Chaos even though its Matt's thing. Duff is always there, so I have to imagine they are really good friends. It shocks me that that all adds up to "we didn't realize he was just a hired hand". I don't feel sympathy for Sorum. It makes me question Duff and Slash's motives.

I just listened to Slash from 2012 on Howard. He is so against going back to GNR that I'm surprised at the moment he does, its under such odd circumstance. You deny how weird it is, and then I question why even bother. There has to be a reason here.

I won't argue that. But seriously, they've been playing with the guy for 20 years now since the breakup. They had a whole other successful band with him. Duff and Matt ARE Kings Of Chaos even though its Matt's thing. Duff is always there, so I have to imagine they are really good friends. It shocks me that that all adds up to "we didn't realize he was just a hired hand". I don't feel sympathy for Sorum. It makes me question Duff and Slash's motives.

I just listened to Slash from 2012 on Howard. He is so against going back to GNR that I'm surprised at the moment he does, its under such odd circumstance. You deny how weird it is, and then I question why even bother. There has to be a reason here.

In Slash's case, there is Perla. The divorce was probably not cheap. I don't think he "needs" the money, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind replacing whatever the hell he had to give her with a huge pile of cash and then some. Plus I think Slash and Duff both want to do it for the fans. Duff has repeatedly said he was blown away by the fan response on the Hall of Fame thing. Slash was convinced to show up due to the fan reaction as well.

I don't think it really hit them until around the time of the HOF induction how much the old band meant to people. This is their chance to at least make some things right in the eyes of everyone who was sick of replacements playing those parts at live gigs with Axl. I also believe Izzy/Stevie will be part of it somehow. Neither of them will be able to tour for different reasons, but I could easily see them play at Coachella and some other guest spots.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Lets wait until Slash and Duff gives an explanation.

How Matt is important is mindboggling to me.

He was just a hired hand and I don't understand how it makes any difference if ti's Frank or Matt.

Adler is a junkie and unreliable, why would Axl, Slash and Duff want him onboard ? He has potential to be a huge liability

The same goes for Izzy, everybody knows he hate to tour and what if he decides after 2-3 shows that isn't his thing ?

And Axl Slash and Duff will generate enough interest to sell out majority of dates. Also it means more money to them I guess.

In Slash's case, there is Perla. The divorce was probably not cheap. I don't think he "needs" the money, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind replacing whatever the hell he had to give her with a huge pile of cash and then some. Plus I think Slash and Duff both want to do it for the fans. Duff has repeatedly said he was blown away by the fan response on the Hall of Fame thing. Slash was convinced to show up due to the fan reaction as well.

I don't think it really hit them until around the time of the HOF induction how much the old band meant to people. This is their chance to at least make some things right in the eyes of everyone who was sick of replacements playing those parts at live gigs with Axl. I also believe Izzy/Stevie will be part of it somehow. Neither of them will be able to tour for different reasons, but I could easily see them play at Coachella and some other guest spots.

I know, and I hear everything you're saying. I'll stop harping on it. Just saying if he is as blown away by the response and wants to do the right thing, IMO and I believe many others, his saying "I won't participate because it isn't how a reunion should be" would mean more to me than if he participates in a hybrid. Same goes for Duff. I'd admire them before if they held out for the right reasons than if they compromise and try to salvage what it is into a gift.

I agree with gnrfan2008. I bet Izzy and Steven, and probably Matt as well, will be involved in some capacity. I wouldn't be surprised if Kushner is involved as well. I think many people on here (and on FB in particular) are completely over reacting. I've been reading a lot of "Izzy=gnr" and "original 5 or nothing". Which is some bullshit imo.

For one, we don't know that they won't be involved. For 2, if they are not the "full time" members their are probably VERY good reasons. Izzy probably just doesn't want to commit to a full time gig, and Steven... Well I think it's safe to say Axl, Slash, and Duff don't have complete confidence in him. So if they dont, what gives some fans the right to bitch about him not being a full time member. Besides, if he was not involved at all, he would have said something by now. The fact that he hasnt, obviously means he is going to get his chance. So everyone needs to CHILL OUT.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

You have to remember that members might have something to do with what Axl and Slash feel comfortable with. It explains why Frank would be there most of the tour (if he is), Fortus, and Pitman/Reed. All Axl guys. That leaves Slash, Duff, and possibly Kushner.

If you think in terms of Axl (and this is obviously just an opinion), it is better to have it more of an even lineup with who you are comfortable with instead of being outnumbered by guys who have stood next to Slash for most of the time apart. Sort of a safety net.

And as far as the Izzy subject. He helped form and write a ton of the material, especially early on. Some of the people on here are ignorant and think just cause Slash was lead, it means he is more important. Both of them were equally important. Izzy being involved is obviously 100% depending on what Izzy wants to do. That seems really obvious to me. If he isn't there most of the time, it was his choice.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 1

I'm just not loving the daycare sort of situation its becoming. This whole Axl as the parent saying "Ok Slash and Duff, you play nicely with my new wife's kids Frank and Richard. I know you'll all get along very well, and you're both equally important to me." I'm sorry, I just can't immedaitely get on board with Slash and Duff being relegated to that level, especially becoming one of Axl's puppets.

It would be fucking awesome if Adler was the drummer.. Other than that it really wouldn't be a big deal if it was anyone but Frank.. He just ruins songs...

I actually watched back the HOF induction performance and thought Adler was sloppy. Maybe chalk it up to nerves, but despite his significance to the band, I think Sorum or Frank are more solid in the long term for 2+ hour shows for an entire tour.

You'll get the original five, Illusion lineup, guests from CD era, and a few buddies of axl, duff, slash.

Then you gotta tell me where and when, cause if I'm paying $250-$300 then I want that in writing and not just "they'll guest if they want to that night." For that price, everyone better get the same expeirence, or tell us that now so we can start booking our trips to where the real members will be.

I agree with gnrfan2008. I bet Izzy and Steven, and probably Matt as well, will be involved in some capacity. I wouldn't be surprised if Kushner is involved as well. I think many people on here (and on FB in particular) are completely over reacting. I've been reading a lot of "Izzy=gnr" and "original 5 or nothing". Which is some bullshit imo.

For one, we don't know that they won't be involved. For 2, if they are not the "full time" members their are probably VERY good reasons. Izzy probably just doesn't want to commit to a full time gig, and Steven... Well I think it's safe to say Axl, Slash, and Duff don't have complete confidence in him. So if they dont, what gives some fans the right to bitch about him not being a full time member. Besides, if he was not involved at all, he would have said something by now. The fact that he hasnt, obviously means he is going to get his chance. So everyone needs to CHILL OUT.

Izzy was an amazing songwriter and a great guitarist, but the guy never wanted the type of success GN'R had. Slash once said he thought the band would have a cult following and nothing more. I bet Izzy figured the same thing. If you look at it on the surface it doesn't make any damn sense that they became so popular. Appetite was one of the earliest albums with a Parental Advisory sticker on it (which should have limited the potential sales), the band was well known for ridiculous drug abuse, sexist lyrics, etc. By all conventional wisdom and logic, they should have never sold 18+ million copies of Appetite in the USA.

For whatever reason they managed to appeal to way more people than any of them ever imagined. Once Izzy got off the drugs, he could not deal with the bullshit that goes along with being in the biggest rock band on Earth with one of the most unstable frontmen in rock history. I don't blame Izzy for wanting to get out and stay out. He is a low key guy who likes to make music on his own terms out of the spotlight. Flip side of this is that I don't begrudge the other guys for wanting to play together even if Izzy won't show up.

Adler...the guy is such a fuckup it's hard to blame Slash, Duff, or Axl for anything as it relates to Steven. He runs his mouth all the time, constantly throws other members under the bus in brutal fashion, SUES them in court, can't stay off drugs any longer than maybe 12-18 months at a time, and so forth.

Having said all that, I do hope Izzy and Steve are involved. We will just have to see how it goes. Maybe Fernando's exciting announcement today will involve those two guys.

As I've said before, im pretty confident that we will be getting a "super show" on some nights. Meaning it will include members and songs from classic gnr, VR, and NUgnr. But for touring purposes, perhaps it is best to have 1 "official" line up consisting of Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus, Frank, Dizzy, Pitman, and possibly Kushner (if they do indeed go with 3 guitars). But then have Adler, Sorum, and Izzy on stand by for whatever gigs they want to play.

So some nights, you might get EVERYBODY with a giant rotating line up. Other nights might be the the "official" line up, and some nights might be a combo type thing. Which sounds fine to me. To be honest, I bet it has more to do with Izzy not wanting to commit than and Alders unpredictability more than anything. I'm sure Sorum would agree to be the "official" drummer. But him and Axl were never the best of friends, and tbh I can understand why Axl would prefer a drummer that is going to show up and do what he's told (frank) as opposed to ones that were difficult in the past (Sorum and adler). Besides, I do think both (adler for sure) will get his moment in the sun. So it's all good really.

As for Coachella, if the rumors of a 2 hour set are true, that means it's going to be a pretty short night. Probably just the hits. Also, the truth probably is, THEY (axl, slash, and duff) don't know who else is going to play it with them yet. They have some time to figure that out. I bet they rehearse ALL of the line ups I described in this thread. With the exception of maybe Izzy, I bet he's an even larger nonrehearser than even Axl.

So bottom line, as far as Coachella goes, they still have to figure out who is playing and what songs they are doing. That's probably why no official line up has been stated.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Steven is harmless, he just has a big mouth. I really don't get why he gets all the shit, Axl and Slash are no saints.

Adler has been crying for a reunion since the past 20 years, all his interviews are about how a reunion should happen and now when its happening, he should be involved.

As a fan I will be hurt If he is not involved.

Similar thing with Izzy, We don't even know if they were even informed about this thing or not. All I see this is a partnership between Axl,Slash and Duff. Its like a business venture.

That friendship and the brother ness they had back in the day is pretty much gone.

Izzy was an amazing songwriter and a great guitarist, but the guy never wanted the type of success GN'R had. Slash once said he thought the band would have a cult following and nothing more. I bet Izzy figured the same thing. If you look at it on the surface it doesn't make any damn sense that they became so popular. Appetite was one of the earliest albums with a Parental Advisory sticker on it (which should have limited the potential sales), the band was well known for ridiculous drug abuse, sexist lyrics, etc. By all conventional wisdom and logic, they should have never sold 18+ million copies of Appetite in the USA.

For whatever reason they managed to appeal to way more people than any of them ever imagined. Once Izzy got off the drugs, he could not deal with the bullshit that goes along with being in the biggest rock band on Earth with one of the most unstable frontmen in rock history. I don't blame Izzy for wanting to get out and stay out. He is a low key guy who likes to make music on his own terms out of the spotlight. Flip side of this is that I don't begrudge the other guys for wanting to play together even if Izzy won't show up.

Adler...the guy is such a fuckup it's hard to blame Slash, Duff, or Axl for anything as it relates to Steven. He runs his mouth all the time, constantly throws other members under the bus in brutal fashion, SUES them in court, can't stay off drugs any longer than maybe 12-18 months at a time, and so forth.

Having said all that, I do hope Izzy and Steve are involved. We will just have to see how it goes. Maybe Fernando's exciting announcement today will involve those two guys.

I don't disagree with you in regard. You are 100%.

Still no logical reason against Sorum. He's not the same as NuGuns. I'm not arguing for Gilby here. I'm arguing for a guy that played on 3 of the band's 5 albums. I get that he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm expecting an explanation from them about his uninvolvement. I don't need to hear about why Izzy and Steven may or may not be involved. We all get why. I want to know why Matt's getting the shaft. He plays on 66% of their glory era studio output. That is only fair.

Steven is harmless, he just has a big mouth. I really don't get why he gets all the shit, Axl and Slash are no saints.

Adler has been crying for a reunion since the past 20 years, all his interviews are about how a reunion should happen and now when its happening, he should be involved.

Similar thing with Izzy, We don't even know if they were even informed about this thing or not. All I see this is a partnership between Axl,Slash and Duff. Its like a business venture.

That friendship and the brother ness they had back in the day is pretty much gone.

Adler has been crying for a reunion because he has nothing else to do. All the other members of the band have kept busy with their own stuff

I don't disagree with you in regard. You are 100%.

Still no logical reason against Sorum. He's not the same as NuGuns. I'm not arguing for Gilby here. I'm arguing for a guy that played on 3 of the band's 5 albums. I get that he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm expecting an explanation from them about his uninvolvement. I don't need to hear about why Izzy and Steven may or may not be involved. We all get why. I want to know why Matt's getting the shaft. He plays on 66% of their glory era studio output. That is only fair.

Maybe Sorum, much like Izzy (possibly), just didn't want to be involved full-time (if at all) for some reason?

Adler has been crying for a reunion because he has nothing else to do. All the other members of the band have kept busy with their own stuff

Adler does tour, he released one full album and an EP too.

Go on youtube and check out Adlers Appetite or Adler. Some of his songs are even better than some Slash's songs.

of course i'd rather have Izzy and Steven up there but im just happy GNR is doing anything especially with Slash and Duff

hell when i joined i figured i was joining a dying forum for a dead band....so yall can thank me for bringing good karma (joking)