why do you think Matt is so OUT?

I am interested in sincere opinions, not the "cause he's an asshole" ones..

He was at the RNRHOF, he's far less of a fuck up that Stephen, he appeared on more albums than Stephen so why get so completely frozen out?

I thought him and Axl were cool?

Surely this creates major shit with Duff & Slash? They are supposed to be friends after all.

I'd like him there along with Izzy to be true to the band's history - obviously King Axl is still calling the shots..

Has anybody heard a reaction from him as of yet?

I am interested in sincere opinions, not the "cause he's an asshole" ones..

He was at the RNRHOF, he's far less of a fuck up that Stephen, he appeared on more albums than Stephen so why get so completely frozen out?

I thought him and Axl were cool?

Surely this creates major shit with Duff & Slash? They are supposed to be friends after all.

I'd like him there along with Izzy to be true to the band's history - obviously King Axl is still calling the shots..

Has anybody heard a reaction from him as of yet?

he's out because he's an emotional guy. Emotional guys tend to speak/say whats on their mind and this aggravates the more power hungry members of the band.

• Like 2

Who says it's personal? At the end of the day, someone was going to be left on the scrapheap, out of Frank, Matt and Steven. Perhaps Matt will make a guest appearance on a few shows, like Steven is rumoured to. But I'm kind of glad that Axl has kept Frank on. He's a solid drummer and knows the whole catalogue, so he was the guy who made the most sense. People want to see Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy. Only a couple of mullet-wearing AFD/UYI purists will be bothered about Adler and Sorum not being full time members.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

I've said this before in a few threads but Axl clearly said not too long ago that the UYI tour and the dynamics there were miserable for him, I can imagine he looking to avoid a close repeat of the line up from that. If Matt and to a lesser extent Gilby were brought back it would just be a reboot of that time, whilst clearly (if the rumoured line up is true) much of this is based in nostalgia it also still has an element of trying something new.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm being too romantic about this but I'd actually pay more to see this GNR show if both drummers got their day in the sun with Izzy at the shows also.

This is a great, great story as it is, but man it would be a really stellar one if these guys really could drop the shit, play fair with each other and bring those who played on AFD and the UYIs together on a stage for those that loved them and that era to see. They made history, they should try to be true to that history just to leave the record straight.

There are things that bother me here, despite the fact that I'm fucking elated that they will play together again.

1. Which Guns is this?

Is it the old GNR business unit that Slash, Duff and Axl owned or Axl's one that he left the old band to create?

My feeling is that its the later as Matt is out and Izzy has cold feet.

2. Why has Izzy cold feet?

He said he'd do a reunion before, what does he know that is keeping him away? I'm willing to bet its the following:

- No Stephen

- Axl demanding some nuGuns people stay

- Multiple sets of management teams , TB for Axl and whomever else for Duff and Slash respectively. There is potential for massive conflicts.

- Duff and Slash agreeing the above terms to access the big pay days.

3. Why is Matt out?

Like him or hate him, he was there, he's immortalised on the UYIs and unlike poor old Stephen, he hasn't lost the professional trust of his old band mates.

4. Was this ever even a "reunion"?

Did Axl & TB just decide that they will live a whole lot better for the next 20 years if they swallow the venom and ask Slash & Duff to come in for a couple of years? Is it actually business as usual at GNR, just this time they got the old guys in instead of yet more new people?

Edited by Intercourse

Don't know about Matt but there's no way in the world Adler is not going to be involved! Do you really think he would be sitting home going oh damn am not going to be playing in the reunion gigs oh well shit happens. If that was the case he would be on social media going off his head big time. But instead there is nothing from him :D

Edited by Gibbo 27

Despite a hybrid line up not being exactly what many people hoped to see I do think it gives them the best chance of fulfilling a couple of years worth of touring commitments, if that's what is in the pipeline, without it all imploding. Frank and Fortus seem like low key, drama free guys, Duff has already toured with them and Slash approaches touring these days with a professional head on. If Axl can keep it together then it might just go the distance.

• Like 2

I think it's because the "founder" wants to maintain the appearance of being in control. The more of his guys he keeps around, the less it looks like he had to go back to "old guns".

You're spreading negative energy! Stop it! :anger: No need to hate Axl so much for something that you don't know anything about!

I think it's because the "founder" wants to maintain the appearance of being in control. The more of his guys he keeps around, the less it looks like he had to go back to "old guns".

You're spreading negative energy! Stop it! :anger: No need to hate Axl so much for something that you don't know anything about!

Its not negativity, its reality and common sense.

Who says it's personal? At the end of the day, someone was going to be left on the scrapheap, out of Frank, Matt and Steven. Perhaps Matt will make a guest appearance on a few shows, like Steven is rumoured to. But I'm kind of glad that Axl has kept Frank on. He's a solid drummer and knows the whole catalogue, so he was the guy who made the most sense. People want to see Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy. Only a couple of mullet-wearing AFD/UYI purists will be bothered about Adler and Sorum not being full time members.

How do people even post shit like this. Frank mkes the most sense? On what fucking planet? Because he knows the whole catelogue? And Matt and Steven don't? Oh wait soooooorrrrrry. they don't "know" the shit that is CD but they wouldn't be capable enought o learn the one or two songs that might get featured from CD. Get real man. Frank makes rhe most sense? This is why GnR fans are some fo the most fucked up in all of music. And the fact you call fans who were around back when GnR was fucking REAL "AFD/UYI purists makes you a goof. All you johnny come lately NuGnR clowns are so fuck in the head it's unreal.

• Like 2

1. Matt made the most hilarious comments in the VH1 Behind the Music special.

hqdefault.jpg

2. Matt had a major fight followed by him quitting the band when he mouthed off to Axl about Tobias and making Slash quit.

Axl took revenge by labeling Matt as an 'additional' musician on the Live Era CD.

3. Matt fought with Axl plenty of times during the infamous UYI tour delays+mishaps. Slash mentioned it in his book that there were times that they wanted to support Matt and ran away. Or they stopped Matt from doing so.

4. Axl insinuated in his Rock n Roll Hall of shame rant that he wanted a few musicians to be added in the band honorable mentions and some not to be awarded. But hall ignored CD lineup(s).

Edited by Darkness Descends
  • Like 1

Because he's a replacement. Why replace a replacement with another replacement?

The only reason to replace a perfectly good drummer would be, if you're going to replace him with the drummer of the most legendary and iconic lineup. In other words with Steven Adler.

Otherwise it just doesn't make much sense. Besides most people don't care about the drummer.

Just look at Conan O Brian, he's talking about a reunion of the original lineup, even though it's just Axl, Slash and Duff. But that's all that the general public need for it to be a reunion..

There's like a handful of people in the whole world who want Matt Sorum to be there. Should they fire Frank just to please a handful of people?

But I do think there's a chance that we might see Matt as a guest at some point. There's a very good chance that Adler might make a guest appearance. But even Matt might join the party at some gig. Cause why not. Surprise guests are always fun.

Maybe I'm being too romantic about this but I'd actually pay more to see this GNR show if both drummers got their day in the sun with Izzy at the shows also.

This is a great, great story as it is, but man it would be a really stellar one if these guys really could drop the shit, play fair with each other and bring those who played on AFD and the UYIs together on a stage for those that loved them and that era to see. They made history, they should try to be true to that history just to leave the record straight.

There are things that bother me here, despite the fact that I'm fucking elated that they will play together again.

1. Which Guns is this?

Is it the old GNR business unit that Slash, Duff and Axl owned or Axl's one that he left the old band to create?

My feeling is that its the later as Matt is out and Izzy has cold feet.

2. Why has Izzy cold feet?

He said he'd do a reunion before, what does he know that is keeping him away? I'm willing to bet its the following:

- No Stephen

- Axl demanding some nuGuns people stay

- Multiple sets of management teams , TB for Axl and whomever else for Duff and Slash respectively. There is potential for massive conflicts.

- Duff and Slash agreeing the above terms to access the big pay days.

3. Why is Matt out?

Like him or hate him, he was there, he's immortalised on the UYIs and unlike poor old Stephen, he hasn't lost the professional trust of his old band mates.

4. Was this ever even a "reunion"?

Did Axl & TB just decide that they will live a whole lot better for the next 20 years if they swallow the venom and ask Slash & Duff to come in for a couple of years? Is it actually business as usual at GNR, just this time they got the old guys in instead of yet more new people?

As for No. 4, there is no way (in my mind at least) that Axl would have agreed to get back on stage with Slash without working through all their issues first. have you not read through Canter banter? Axl seemed very clear on what it would take to work something out. Money is one contributing factor obviously! but Axl rarely does anything for money (the Budweiser ad... :P ). Through reading his (Axl's) detailed posts from 2009, what he said on TMS, Marc's insights, and what all the old members have said, especially Slash! It makes me believe that both have put a lot of their shit to bed, reaching more than just a business arrangement. Could be wrong but It does seem the most likely situation.

Definitely interested in if Duff and Slash are proper equal members with Axl. I believe they should be, and I'd guess that they negotiated to get that position, otherwise they probably wouldn't have come back. Don't think we're going to hear those details though, but maybe!

I suppose if you're Axl, testing the waters with this whole reunion thing it makes sense not to crowd yourself out with a bunch of people who were 'enemies' of yours a few months ago, keep the averages on your side, make sure you got more of your mates on the squad than people you've had issues with, also Matt joined a bit late in the day too so i don't suppose he has the same affection for him as you would for Slash of Stoke and Duff.

As it stands, presumably you got Axl, Dizzy, Tittman, Fortus, Ferrer, all Axls mates...and then Slash and Duff...if they wanna get fuckin' funny a lead guitarist and bass player can be replaced on short notice but add a drummer into that mix and all he's left with is a fuckin' rhythm guitarist and a couple of keyboard wankers. If they got guitar drums and bass on their side thats basically the core of the music isn't it, you're kinda more to ransom that way if they wanna fuck around.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 3

Do you think Axl will share the GNR name rights to Slash and Duff?

I think no, so he will always have final say. But as we saw from CD era, it isn't everything. The label and industry always wanted a reunion before they jump.

At least now there's no excuses on that side. And we know Slash can write stuff Axl likes. So we should see more records coming out.

Do you think Axl will share the GNR name rights to Slash and Duff?

Fuck no, why would he wanna do a thing like that, he's on a winner here, he basically starved them out, won the war of attrition :lol:

And we know Slash can write stuff Axl likes. So we should see more records coming out.

I'll believe that when i fuckin' see it, who wants to be writing music at their time of life when they can just be raking in the dough ready for that slow sail off into the sunset.

If i was Axl I'd treat em like shit :lol: Be chillin' out in the studio when they show up, legs up on the mixing desk snoozing then turn, slide my sunglasses down my nose and be like: 'so...you're back are ya? Must've fallen out of love with the music eh nobheads?' :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Also, Sorum did say he wanted to clump him a couple of times, didn't he? And more or less insinuate that the other members were the only thing that stopped him from sparking Axl out, Axls probably thinking 'right, thats you off the list for a payday you stringy haired Cult drumming stop-gap motherfucker' :lol:

• Like 1