Realistically, How are you expecting Axl to sound?

For the first couple of shows?

I'm hoping and thinking we'll get something like Taipei 2009, this is the longest break since 08 that he hasnt toured so I think the break would have been good for him....

I'd personally be delighted if at the Vegas he sounded like this 

1 hour ago, sonofnazareth said:

if he doesn't sound like 1991-1993, i'm not buying a ticket to hear an old british woman/mickey/2 seconds of rasp voice.

So by that logic, if he sounds exactly like the appetite days, that's not good enough for you?

To answer the question something like 2006/7 or 2009/10. He showed he was capable of that back in 2014, so with fitness,  a vocal coach and some rehearsals I think he'll bring the goods. 

The last Vegas shows were good, I think best case scenario he comes out sounding like 2009 for the first shows and sounds like that or the end of 2014 for the majority of the tour. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he could do a whole tour singing like he did in 2010, but I just don't think that's gonna happen...

On the other hand, if he comes out sounding like the South American 2014 shows, the reviews are gonna be really, really ugly.

Probably like 09-10 a lot of the time but more natural head voice in Welcome To The Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine. Not running laps around the stage like he usually does, with prepared his phrasing, still has the same delivery but dressed normal people clothes (maybe a red nike sweater) or something not $6,000. I think he's going to sing like he's starting over for the first time and take on a new generation of his career.

29 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

I can pretend that I dont care how axl sounds if the original five are on stage -- and no one else

There is some sense to this.  I do think the more original members the more it will offset any and somewhat over shadow any of his short comings. There will just be that more energy in the air with each additional member. I just want him to sound good enough I guess. As long as he is giving it 100%.. I think good enough is doable.. Having him sound good would be even better! I don't think anyone is realistically expecting him sound like he did in the old days. It would be amazing if he could come out and surprise us all.

• Like 1

I saw him in Camden in 2011 and he sounded fine...it was a great show...so not sure what people are talking about when they clump in 2011 as a year when he didn't sound his best.

I'm sure he will sound good.  He's had 2 years rest and he knows this tour will be huge...so I expect him to come out swinging.

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

There is some sense to this.  I do think the more original members the more it will offset any and somewhat over shadow any of his short comings. There will just be that more energy in the air with each additional member. I just want him to sound good enough I guess. As long as he is giving it 100%.. I think good enough is doable.. Having him sound good would be even better! I don't think anyone is realistically expecting him sound like he did in the old days. It would be amazing if he could come out and surprise us all.

yeah

to my ears, in my book, axl hasnt sound good since september 1991

after izzy left, he clearly changed his modus operandi onstage and started doing autopilot on a lot of gigs

the few moments when the old axl was back were on special performances like tie your mother down with brian may, come together with bruce springsteen etc

on gnr shows during 1992-1993, axl seemed like he wasnt there at times

everything that happened from 2001 to now has been a blur because its been so painful to watch axl and these "professional musicians"

vocal wise, we all know how he sounded -- i dont think it needs to be said again

anyone that listened to axl from 1985 to 1991 knows that he was never the same

well that happens, specially when you sang like no one else ever did

i dont think there is any other singer that has damaged his voice so much like axl did

he sang in a way that very few people -- if any -- can do

and he sang harder than anyone ever did

so there is no reason to expect anything from axl vocal wise i guess

what i truly expect is the same as some of you guys mentioned

that he gives 100%

if that happens and the original five are onstage, it will be a beauty to see

• Like 1

Am I the only one who listens to 2009/10 shows and hears how out of breath he was? He was gasping for air. 

He was not match fit. Best I've heard him was the 2006/7 run. 

What can we hope for? I honestly don't know. He has been ifc the road since June '14 so that's a good rest period... But it's also a long ass time for to not exercise his vocal chords.

He should come out strong, he should understand the importance of coming out and killing it... I just don't know though.

Would love for a return to form, but he has a tendency these days to wing it and then suck hard. 

Not expecting anything close to 91-93, that's moronic! He's 20 years older for God sakes. Just in key, strong and not gasping for air.

• Like 1