More Openers Announced!

My hubby was listening to a local radio station here in the philly area and one of the DJ's mentioned the opener for GNR in Philly is Lenny Kravitz?  Has anyone else heard this? I can't confirm this anywhere, I am starting to think he is CRAZY 

Edited by metalms

I think The Cult are a brilliant choice as openers. Billy Duffy The Cults guitarist said a couple of  months ago that The Cult are supposed to be supporting Guns on the European leg of the tour. But the fact they're opening on a couple of US dates is brilliant they'll definitely get the audience warmed up. 

3 hours ago, Nintari said:

Wolfmother would have been a great choice.

I thought the same thing.  I was thinking Rival Sons too, but they're over seas this summer. CLUTCH is free until mid August though! They get my vote for Pittsburgh. They play here a lot.

4 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Why doesn't GnR recruit Pearl Jam as opener? They're awesome...

Although G N' R are the "bigger" band out of the two, they're not that much bigger...not enough for Pearl Jam to open for them.  Pearl Jam is having no problems headlining their own tour this summer. 

53 minutes ago, rickjkd1977 said:

Does this seem rather odd that a tour as big as things one is having trouble getting openers for some of these shows?

It sadly shows the lack of really great rock bands right now. 

It's hard to find a perfect opener for GnR. 

All the hair metal bands from GnR's glory days have been touring to death the last 5-6 years. 

No band already at GnR's current level are going to open for them. Metallica, Crue, Kiss, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, U2, Areosmifh. 

We had a influx of a couple pretty cool rock bands a couple years ago, but those guys have been silent. 

So who as an opener would please 90% of potential GnR fans that are willing to pay 100-1,000 to see a show?

Sebastian Bach? Been there, done that multiple years. 

So they are reduced to old timers like The Cult and Alice in Chains. Posters on her that praise everything Axl does will act like those guys on tour is like seeing Led Zepp in their prime. But in all reality, The Cult on tour on their own are selling $20 tickets and playing clubs. 

GnR is in a unique situation right now. Finding a relevant band that wants to tour with them, but that also has a catalog of songs that GnR fans would love.....not very many bands fit that bill. 

I would have went with a couple openers. 

Hardcore Superstar is the best non-American rock band out there right now. They are a band heavily influenced by GnR/ACDC/Van Halen. 

Then the DLR band. If Dave left the Broadway showboating crap aside and he could perform like a rock star again. Dave and Stevie Vai tearing up Yankee Rose - yes please. 

Alice Cooper. A legend. And he could join GnR on stage for The Garden and Under My Wheels.

A reunited Skid Row. 

Take those four bands on tour and let them rotate performing. Three bands per night, one gets a day off. 

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Although G N' R are the "bigger" band out of the two, they're not that much bigger...not enough for Pearl Jam to open for them.  Pearl Jam is having no problems headlining their own tour this summer. 

I was not aware they were THAT big... they sold out twice the fenway park in Boston.. that;s larger capacity all together than of Guns' ford field ... and twice wrigley field in chicago... how is that possible?

Just now, Apollo said:

It sadly shows the lack of really great rock bands right now. 

All the great rock bands of today wouldn't necessarily fit the style of a GNR show either, you stick Protest The Hero or Thrice in front of an older audience like GNR's and they're not gonna connect. Maybe AX7, Shinedown or Mastodon but that might be too heavy already.

21 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

I was not aware they were THAT big... they sold out twice the fenway park in Boston.. that;s larger capacity all together than of Guns' ford field ... and twice wrigley field in chicago... how is that possible?

Pearl Jam became the new Grateful Dead 20 years ago. People travel and go to every show of their tours. Plus they play completely different sets every night and play a minimum of 2 hrs 45 mins a night. They're a tremendous band! 

35 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think having Skrillex open for them is a ballsy move, will be fucking hilarious to see how the old timers react. If I were them I'd focus on having a more diverse selection of openers. I'd be pretty bored with just Bach and The Cult over and over

How about Marilyn Manson? Primus? Die Antwood? Lana Del Rey? Fiona Apple? Buckethead? Arctic Monkeys?

Only way any of them say no is if they hate money and big crowds.

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think having Skrillex open for them is a ballsy move, will be fucking hilarious to see how the old timers react. If I were them I'd focus on having a more diverse selection of openers. I'd be pretty bored with just Bach and The Cult over and over

How about Marilyn Manson? Primus? Die Antwood? Lana Del Rey? Fiona Apple? Buckethead? Arctic Monkeys?

Manson is doing arenas and amphitheaters with Slipknot this summer.

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I have no idea what Skrillex is but I would rather have something I have never heard before than be stuck with Billy Talent in Toronto.

Was so excited for a good opener in Toronto, the entire city has been let down.  Although an instantly sold out show and a chance to see GnR perform Coma and Estranged in the same night makes it all worth while.

Can't wait!

There are a handful of newer bands that could work good opening for GnR...Royal Blood or The Struts are two that come to mind.

I could also see acts like Grace Potter or Gary Clark Jr doing ok.

They aren't going to get huge names opening with only a 35 minute set.

Lenny Kravitz and AIC seem perfect to me.  I'd be pissed if I had to see Skrillex

7 minutes ago, dsokolik said:

There are a handful of newer bands that could work good opening for GnR...Royal Blood or The Struts are two that come to mind.

I could also see acts like Grace Potter or Gary Clark Jr doing ok.

They aren't going to get huge names opening with only a 35 minute set.

Lenny Kravitz and AIC seem perfect to me.  I'd be pissed if I had to see Skrillex

I'd be pissed off with Skrillex also. Their was a band that I saw a couple years back opening for kiss, Kobra and the Lotus. They were pretty good. Possibly Halestorm. I am also settling in with the notion that they may not have an opener at this point. I would love to see Lenny Kravitz.

Edited by rickjkd1977