Slash/Fortus combo, the best in the world right now? Fortus in the Partnership?

3 hours ago, SEPTEM said:

If u talk about level and capacity this is the second best guitar tándem ever ( u know, after the yardbirds).

And Maiden, and Thin Lizzy, and April Wine, and Skynnyrd, and the Allman Bros. and whoever Vai plays with, and Metallica, and Megadeth...

I even prefer the dynamic of Slash/Sidoris, and Slash/Kushner more I think.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, moreblack said:

And Maiden, and Thin Lizzy, and April Wine, and Skynnyrd, and the Allman Bros. and whoever Vai plays with, and Metallica, and Megadeth...

Since everyone seems to be positioning subjective opinions as facts, I'll do the same. The combo of SLASH and IZZY is so far and above every one of those acts. Not even close. They're a large reason why GN'R sold over 70M albums on the strength of essentially just 3 albums. THREE.

6 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Fortus should stop playing the KOHD and Rocket Queen solo, then it will be much better. 

Slash and Izzy combo was pretty good, even though Izzy's amps were lowered down, but man Izzy is one hell of a musician. 

The studio combo of Izzy and Slash, man that was amazing.

Slash is playing at his best, when has background guitarists like Izzy or Gilby next to him. Izzy and Gilby were the perfect match for Slash. Fortus style doesn't fit with Slash at all. Just listen to KOHD. It sounds horrible. 

Slash is the lead guitarist and mixing him up with other leads like Paul Tobias or 4tus doesn't sound right.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

I don't get the appeal of those two together, Richards/Taylor and Richards/Jones absolutely brilliant though.

Part of the problem with Wood is he joined the band when the band (Jagger/Richards) had just commenced their decline of which they basically have been in forty plus years - there was one great album left (Some Girls), arguably two (Tattoo You). Ron however does Jimmy Reed's interweaving which Richards adores and possessed with Brian Jones: Richards saw Mick Taylor as standing out too much musically as a bona fide 'lead' and not a genuine 'weaver'. Ironically the Taylor years produced their most beloved albums, putting Keith's opinion somewhat out of variance with common (fan) perception. Taylor was actually more Jagger's man on both a personal and songwriting level.

So Wood was basically Richards doppelganger, brought in to bring back the weaving style (and be a drinking buddy). 

You can hear the weaving throughout still today. It is unmistakably Stones and a joy to listen to.

PS

Before a mod zealously deletes my 'Rolling Stones' post for being off-topic, the original post is about Guns N' Roses's present axe duo being the 'best in the business', which naturally would lead to mentions of The Stones and other examples. It is in fact very much pertinent.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Part of the problem with Wood is he joined the band when the band (Jagger/Richards) had just commenced their decline of which they basically have been in forty plus years - there was one great album left (Some Girls), arguably two (Tattoo You). Ron however does Jimmy Reed's interweaving which Richards adores and possessed with Brian Jones: Richards saw Mick Taylor as standing out too much musically as a bona fide 'lead' and not a genuine 'weaver'. Ironically the Taylor years produced their most beloved albums, putting Keith's opinion somewhat out of variance with common (fan) perception. Taylor was actually more Jagger's man on both a personal and songwriting level.

So Wood was basically Richards doppelganger, brought in to bring back the weaving style (and be a drinking buddy). 

You can hear the weaving throughout still today. It is unmistakably Stones and a joy to listen to.

Some Girls was a great start i like that album but i don't think anything they've done together in the studio and as a live act (every band has good and bad nights) can put that particular combo in the top tier but that's just my opinion. As you say Wood does his job well but he did come in at the start of the decline, not that it's his fault.

1 minute ago, Silverburst80 said:

Some Girls was a great start i like that album but i don't think anything they've done together in the studio and as a live act (every band has good and bad nights) can put that particular combo in the top tier but that's just my opinion. As you say Wood does his job well but he did come in at the start of the decline, not that it's his fault.

Yes but the decline in Jagger and Richards's songwriting, not to mention changing musical fashions making them look like 'old farts', is a (partially) different issue from the band's guitar aesthetics. When Ron Wood joined, the guitar weaving merely resumed; it sounded brilliant then as it still occasionally does - especially on the established classics and hits as The Stones, mid '70s, were now entering their 'legacy' phrase.

That has been a common complaint (or praise if you are a glass ''half full'' guy!) with the Stones circa '74 onward, them remaining an excellent live band but mediocre-to-indifferent in the studio. 

4 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Richard sounds so great... it's like a combination between Mick Tayler, Keith Richards and Ron Wood.

IMO, he should be offered a partnership in GN'R, he deserves it.

To me, it's not "the big 3" anymore but "The big 4" with Fortus.

Edited by Caraibes

16 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

Richard sounds so great... it's like a combination between Mick Tayler, Keith Richards and Ron Wood.

IMO, he should be offered a partnership in GN'R, he deserves it.

To me, it's not "the big 3" anymore but "The big 4" with Fortus.

Partnership for a guy that has 0 writing credits with this band?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

Slash has played with plenty of mediocre musicians outside of GnR. A Fortus endorsement from him doesn't really carry a lot of weight. Keep in mind that Fortus has the unenviable task of replacing a world class musician like Izzy. That's why some of us are more critical.

World class songwriter? definitely! world class guitar player? good, but not word class. Izzy, Slash, Duff are not world class on their own, together they are. 

Also! This bullshit about "he's a good session musician" as if being a session musician is a bad thing. Being a session musician means you're able to play authentically in a style or a number of styles and you're a great player that people want to work with. You don't just apply for the job, you practice like all the other musicians, play shitty clubs etc. eventually people hear about you and want you on their records... meaning he and all the other session players that get shit on, are definitely deserving of their gigs.

Fortus may not be "world class", but he is a great player... and no amount of mygnr begrudging can change that. He's tight as it gets and he plays all the parts with the proper attitude (yeh I know you hate his nightrain solo... moving on!).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

PS

Before a mod zealously deletes my 'Rolling Stones' post for being off-topic, the original post is about Guns N' Roses's present axe duo being the 'best in the business', which naturally would lead to mentions of The Stones and other examples. It is in fact very much pertinent.

Basically this, i love Taylor but it was prone to noddling ad infinitum live, Keith yelled at him once or twice to "STOP DOING THAT" during concerts and weaving is the Stones' signature, plus, Ronnie can totally do the Mick Taylor,he played like his predecessor on his first RS tour, he smashed really well with Keith and he's a great guitarist, sadly understimated, especially now, Ronnie does the heavy lifting, for how much i love Keith his arthosis is a problem.

Edited by giuls

I think mentioning Richard was/is a session musician is not to claim that session musicians are bad, but to state that he didn't get to establish himself with his own band and his own songs. Jimmy Page was also a session musician but it was his work with Led Zeppelin what turned him into a legend. 

IMO, being a world class musician has more to do with the music you create than your ability to play an instrument, otherwise all those YouTube players would be world class players. How many people were touched by what Slash did on November Rain to the point of wanting to pick up a guitar and start playing? That's what makes him world class for me.

Even though I agree about Richard not being the best fit for GNR, I love his style so I'm happy to have him on board. Right now I think it's absurd to say that Richard is either a prodigy who deserves to be part of the partnership or a useless dude who got lucky. If the band (and especially Axl) decide to release a new album, maybe he'll have the chance to prove what he's capable of and we'll get to see how well can he and Slash create together.

Ps: Is it wrong to miss Izzy? He's one of the most brilliant songwriters in R&R's history so forgive us for loving him. Maybe none of us would be here if it wasn't for Izzy's vision and immense songwriting skills. No matter what happens in the future and what this band gets to create and achieve without him, that won't change nor erase what he's done. I'll always love and support GNR and at the same time (as long as he doesn't come back) I'll always miss Izzy.

• Like 4

Just take a gnr classic and imagine there were always solos splitted between slash and 4tus. Would it sound as great as the studio versions we already know and love? Hell no. The only guy who can push the envelope on guitar in this band is slash himself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GNFR said:

For me, the best way to answer this is: Write together. To me, that is the true test of chemistry. Slash wrote most of the stuff, and Fortus has been playing it for ages, so they both bring talent there. Question is, can they go the next step and gel in a new way on new material?

I just want new material haha

Yep. It is the litmus test. If they get a record out, then we can judge the chemistry and how good Fortus is writing with Slash.

Fortus in the partnership? You want Fortus to get publishing royalties when Izzy still can't get his fair share? How does this make any sense? What has Fortus contributed to the band to get these privileges?

If you're talking about Chinese Democracy royalties (lol) -- shouldn't Mr. Buckethead and maybe Finck have more legitimacy for it?

With all due respect, I have a hard time understanding where the Fortus groupies are coming from. Even if you liked the nu band, objectively speaking, Mr. Buckethead and Bumblefoot were light years beyond him ability wise and as musicians. Buckethead wrote amazing riffs. Finck was a much more interesting guitarist than Fortus as well.

The only person he stacks up to is Paul Huge, and even Paul has better writing credits than Fortus.

• Like 2