Slash/Fortus combo, the best in the world right now? Fortus in the Partnership?

18 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

World class songwriter? definitely! world class guitar player? good, but not word class. Izzy, Slash, Duff are not world class on their own, together they are. 

Also! This bullshit about "he's a good session musician" as if being a session musician is a bad thing. Being a session musician means you're able to play authentically in a style or a number of styles and you're a great player that people want to work with. You don't just apply for the job, you practice like all the other musicians, play shitty clubs etc. eventually people hear about you and want you on their records... meaning he and all the other session players that get shit on, are definitely deserving of their gigs.

Fortus may not be "world class", but he is a great player... and no amount of mygnr begrudging can change that. He's tight as it gets and he plays all the parts with the proper attitude (yeh I know you hate his nightrain solo... moving on!).

Slash not a world class guitar player? LOL good joke dude

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Slash not a world class guitar player? LOL good joke dude

What exactly does world class mean to you? it could mean a lot of things, to a lot of different people: so why is it hard to believe, that someone, who loves Slash and GnR would say he's not world class. It doesn't really matter anyway! if you think he is, then he is. 

On 4 de agosto de 2016 at 1:47 PM, RONIN said:

Izzy Stradlin' + Slash = Top 5 guitar duos EVER. There's a reason they were inducted into the Hall of fame.

Izzy Stradlin' is the fuckin soul of Gn'R. Accept no Substitutes.

This pretty much but I have to say I'm starting to appreciate Richard and I'm slowly but surely warming up to that new GNR hybrid lineup. They're killing it!

Edited by Jane M.
Wrong letter

21 hours ago, Kenan said:

Richard Fortus is a talented guitar player but he has one serious problem and that is, he is NOT Izzy Stradlin.

Since Richard Fortus is NOT Izzy Stradlin, he should NOT be showboating like he does all the time. He should be still, barely moving and his guitar should be barely audible.

Also, Richard Fortus, NOT being Izzy Stradlin, should not play solos at all, maybe one single solo should be allowed and that's it.

Richard Fortus, NOT being Izzy Stradlin, should not, in any way of form show his talent on stage because if he does, that would be very inapropriate for all those sensitive souls that are still going through emotional suffering and hardships for not seeing Izzy Stradlin being part of this reunion.

I would also suggest Richard Fortus does something to his appearance i.e. image. Maybe he should dye his hair blonde, cut it really short and maybe do a plastic surgery or something, because the way he is right now, he kinda resembles Izzy Stradlin and since we have already established that Richard Fortus is NOT Izzy Stradlin, looking like Izzy Stradlin would be inappropriate (to say the least!).

So, if he'd manage to sort out the minor issues outlined above, I think he would be a pretty good fit for Guns N' Roses.

Frank Ferrer is also a very talented drummer but he has one ser.. Oh sorry, wrong thread.

I enjoyed the sarcasm. You nailed it. Richard Fortus is not Izzy Stradlin'. Therefore he does not belong in guns n roses. If he takes Izzy's place, then comparisons should be fair game. 

There's also the elephant in the room: Stradlin' was a tasteful player. He did exactly what was necessary to bring out the best in Slash. He worked in the interest of the songs. Rarely do you see Izzy showboat with guitar wank or punch his guitar every 15 seconds. That's a huge part of why Izzy is so well regarded. 

Fortus is trying to define himself in the shadow of Saul from Pasadena. Therein lies the rub. He's not working in the best interest of the song nor is his playing bringing out the best in Slash. Like Frank, he just wanks off and improvises much to the detriment of the song. 

But hey, if you love what he does, more power to you.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3

Mullethead, i've been a GN'R fan for more than 25 years.

I never cared about "NuGuns" as you say, I just cared about Axl and Richard Fortus.

I liked Brain Mantia a lot also, fantastic drummer.

Edited by Caraibes

25 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

Mullethead, i've been a GN'R fan for more than 25 years.

I never cared about "NuGuns" as you say, I just cared about Axl and Richard Fortus.

I liked Brain Mantia a lot also, fantastic drummer.

What is there to care about though? He's written next to nothing. Even Paul Huge and West Arkeen have contributed more. Forget Izzy or even Finck, can he even write better than Paul Huge?

Is it his guitar playing? Is he really all that special compared to giants like Slash, Buckethead and Bumblefoot?

Can he drink as much beer as Duff?

If you like him for his live performances, that's cool though. I find him really awkward and distracting on stage with the non-stop guitar punching and orgasm faces but I could see that appealing to some people.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

World class songwriter? definitely! world class guitar player? good, but not word class. Izzy, Slash, Duff are not world class on their own, together they are. 

Also! This bullshit about "he's a good session musician" as if being a session musician is a bad thing. Being a session musician means you're able to play authentically in a style or a number of styles and you're a great player that people want to work with. You don't just apply for the job, you practice like all the other musicians, play shitty clubs etc. eventually people hear about you and want you on their records... meaning he and all the other session players that get shit on, are definitely deserving of their gigs.

Fortus may not be "world class", but he is a great player... and no amount of mygnr begrudging can change that. He's tight as it gets and he plays all the parts with the proper attitude (yeh I know you hate his nightrain solo... moving on!).

Dude, you're missing the point. Calling Fortus a session player is not a cheap shot -- the guy has next to nothing in writing credits, he's an axe for hire. Where are the creative contributions from him?

His imprint on CD is almost negligible -- completely blown off the map by Buckethead and Finck. Clearly Axl felt the same given how much more prominent those two are on the album compared to Fortus.  It is what it is. Chinese Democracy's guitar heroes are Bucket and Finck.

What Fortus has done with Guns N Roses is a textbook definition of a session/journeyman player. Fortus was in the band for 18 years and has almost nothing to really show for it. That's just the reality of the situation.

Edited by RONIN

7 hours ago, axlweave said:

Richard is not Izzy but I feel he does fit in with the band, I like how the band sounds now.

Playing material Izzy had a major hand in writing... I like Fortus, but this band, for what we are getting, accept no substitute. Izzy Stradlin needs to be playing on stage the songs he wrote and co wrote, period.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2016 at 0:38 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Interesting to speculate when that offer was. Obviously before Fortus joined GNR, so maybe he was offered the spot of rhythm for VR? Might have been Snakepit aswell, has to be one of the 2

He was offered a chance to play the bongos in VR. Axl forced Dizzy to turn down the gig. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

What exactly does world class mean to you? it could mean a lot of things, to a lot of different people: so why is it hard to believe, that someone, who loves Slash and GnR would say he's not world class. It doesn't really matter anyway! if you think he is, then he is. 

Well, he writes world class riffs, writes world class solos and world class melodies. Technically not on a Buckethead level but still very gifted. He was a member of a world class band and one of the main reasons this band became world class. Doesn't that mean he is world class himself?

Or would you like to argue about Guns being world class and his contributions aren't one of the main reasons for that? It's a fact his riffs and solos belongs to the best and that he is world wide famous for that. He's probably the last true guitar legend. Walk of Fame, Rock n Roll Hall of fame, Guitar hero 3 character, on top of many many guitar lists. 

So what is it to you? Why don't you consider him world class?

• Like 2

Yeah man make Fortus the Partner, then he should fire Slash, Duff and Axl from the band.

The Legendary Fortus will then hire DJ Ashba, Ole Beich and Myles Kennedy and take Guns N' Roses to another level.

Only the amazing Fortus can do this! 

Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai are nothing in front of Fortus! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Yeah man make Fortus the Partner, then he should fire Slash, Duff and Axl from the band.

The Legendary Fortus will then hire DJ Ashba, Ole Beich and Myles Kennedy and take Guns N' Roses to another level.

Only the amazing Fortus can do this! 

Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai are nothing in front of Fortus! 

How can you forget Saul Tobias?

Fortus is maybe more disciplined, better technician and in better playing/touring shape than Izzy but make no mistake it's Izzy + Slash = magic.

AFAIK (as long as he emulates Izzy) it works, maybe even better than as if Izzy was there in person.

As far as switching the lead goes, that can work really great. That's one aspect that Stones inspired-groups/imitators never really picked up.

Here is one phenomenal combo, notice here Taylor does not imitate Brian Jones, rather plays Keith licks his own way, and leads throughout the song!

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Do you know what's another great guitar combo?

http://youtu.be/wbaJt3z-ypQ

Totaly different leads but when they start soloing together at the same time both on their own way and on their own style, it fits the song perfectly. That's magic.

it is. not surprised, Ronnie and Izzy are similar, that's the match.
slash is stoned out of his mind here lol (but delivers)

3 hours ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

Fortus is maybe more disciplined, better technician and in better playing/touring shape than Izzy but make no mistake it's Izzy + Slash = magic.

AFAIK (as long as he emulates Izzy) it works, maybe even better than as if Izzy was there in person.

As far as switching the lead goes, that can work really great. That's one aspect that Stones inspired-groups/imitators never really picked up.

Here is one phenomenal combo, notice here Taylor does not imitate Brian Jones, rather plays Keith licks his own way, and leads throughout the song!

My favourite part was Keef chuckling at his " i'll be in my basement room, with a needle and a spoon" line, good catch cameraman!

The amount of stupidity in this thread is amazing. I swear some people are always complaining.

You don't like the reunion as it's happening right now? Okay, there you go: gone slash and Duff, here come Stinson and Cashba. Satisfied? Cause apparently the reunion is worthless if there's no Izzy or Steven.