Will anybody else be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary?

14 hours ago, Slosh13 said:

'Izzy didn't want a vocalist because they cause problems which is why he didn't join up with Slash'. I read that somewhere, don't know if it's true.

There maybe more issues. I'm going through issues with my creative partner, so what has happened to GNR is fairly normal, some bands get through it and some don't and it just escalates.

I think that is true that Izzy was wary of a lead singer. I guess he never really wanted to be in a big band, Hanoi Rocks were probably his level. Axl and Slash really pushed UYI to be commercial, they stepped up to stadiums, wrote bigger songs. 

But in the years after Izzy and Slash never really worked together even in the studio that had been so successful for them. Izzy did write around VR but those songs weren't used for VR, I don't think anyway, they may have dissipated to other projects. 

In a way Izzy is like the Brian Jones of GNR. He didn't die but Slash became the Keef. The Stones never tried to go back and recreate an album, so in a way the current line up of GNR is like the 90s Stones. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

The songs Izzy wrote with VR were used on contraband and Izzy's solo record. I don't believe he was given credit on contraband though.

One of the riffs sounds like Bomb off Like a Dog, I think Do it for the Kids. Suckertrain Blues has an Izzy UYI feel. But Scott also rejected a lot material he said sounded like Bad Company, so I'm not entirely sure. 

34 minutes ago, wasted said:

One of the riffs sounds like Bomb off Like a Dog, I think Do it for the Kids. Suckertrain Blues has an Izzy UYI feel. But Scott also rejected a lot material he said sounded like Bad Company, so I'm not entirely sure. 

Its the same riff, with a different "connector part". According to Slash's book, the band +plus Izzy also worked on "Snafu"

Edited by Mendez

13 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Its the same riff, with a different "connector part". According to Slash's book, the band +plus Izzy also worked on "Snafu"

I thought the lyrics to Snafu were really critical on the GNR situation. Situation normal, it's all fucked up. I'm not sure if that's what they are about, but it fit. Seems to be a theme through Izzy's solo records. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wasted said:

I thought the lyrics to Snafu were really critical on the GNR situation. Situation normal, it's all fucked up. I'm not sure if that's what they are about, but it fit. Seems to be a theme through Izzy's solo records. 

Technically the riff from Bomb was written for Do It For The Kids, and then Izzy used it for his own on his next solo record. Bomb came out a year after Do It For The Kids

i think "guns n' roses" owes it to themselves to play together again for the first time since steven was stabbed in the back and izzy wasn't gonna take another second of it.  they owe it to nobody but themselves.  i would hope at some point the five of them will laugh and pat each other on the back about the amazing songs they were able to bring into this world and for the time capsule of their youth afd becoming a classic.  i hope for their sake they are able to celebrate their accomplishments together in a way that matters to them, selfishly i'd love to see a residency somewhere but i'd love it still if even it was just the five of them alone in a room and we never got to witness or hear a thing.  

izzy writing on a new album is essential, even if fortus is participating. izzy should get two songs with vocals (duff one, the rest axl). steven and matt should split duties in the studio and frank should be treated like a king with a very respectful severance deal for being a good guy but ultimately merely an employee of the singer.    

Edited by Sunset Gardner

46 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

i think "guns n' roses" owes it to themselves to play together again for the first time since steven was stabbed in the back and izzy wasn't gonna take another second of it.  they owe it to nobody but themselves.  i would hope at some point the five of them will laugh and pat each other on the back about the amazing songs they were able to bring into this world and for the time capsule of their youth afd becoming a classic.  i hope for their sake they are able to celebrate their accomplishments together in a way that matters to them, selfishly i'd love to see a residency somewhere but i'd love it still if even it was just the five of them alone in a room and we never got to witness or hear a thing.  

izzy writing on a new album is essential, even if fortus is participating. izzy should get two songs with vocals (duff one, the rest axl). steven and matt should split duties in the studio and frank should be treated like a king with a very respectful severance deal for being a good guy but ultimately merely an employee of the singer.    

"would hope at some point the five of them will laugh and pat each other on the back about the amazing songs they were able to bring into this world and for the time capsule of their youth afd becoming a classic.  i hope for their sake they are able to celebrate their accomplishments together in a way that matters to them" I can agree with everything you said there. The rest? not so much. 

No 1 reason The AFD 5 were great is also the NO 1 reason why it should be left as it is. They were once wild, Axl was a maniac screaming his head off and jumping into the audience, Slash was completely out of control, running around drunk as he could get without poisoning himself, Duff Steven and Izzy were much the same... these days Axl is a fairly relaxed older man, he goes out and puts on a good show BUT he's not dangerous, he isn't gonna jump into to the crowd and crowd surf, the most he might do is walk off. Slash is still Slash but he's also reined himself in... basically, time has not stood still for the classic 5 or anyone else. Even if they managed to sound as good as they did in the 80s, people would still be disappointed because the band members are now 30yrs older and relatively safe... some things are better left alone, we have something that we NEVER thought we'd get and for me that's enough of a reunion. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

we have something that we NEVER thought we'd get and for me that's enough of a reunion. 

this is the main point that so many just don't grasp. For them it's AFD5 or bust. They don't stop and think about how Axl and Slash working together at all was considered impossible 2 years ago. I feel like lots of fans have lost perspective. 

Edited by History2010
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Technically the riff from Bomb was written for Do It For The Kids, and then Izzy used it for his own on his next solo record. Bomb came out a year after Do It For The Kids

But did Izzy write the riff for Do it for the Kids ...and then didn't notice they used it? 

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Even if this line up is here to stay, I'm sure they will atleast try to get Izzy on a song or two for an album, he's just too big of a part of the bands history. I really can't wait to see what happens when this tour finally is over because if Fortus and Frank got some sense they will leave the band to make room for the people who should be there in the first place.

This tour was too big a risk to fuck around with people like Steven (and perhaps in their mind Izzy) but now that that's gonna be over they will have time to work something out I hope. Really not looking forward to an album written with Fortus Frank and Melissa. Even though Slash will make it great, and perhaps it will be great, but for the rest of history it will always be: it could have been so much more.

I mean we have to take what we can get -- a few songs from Izzy is better than nothing I suppose.

But really, Izzy has to be on rhythm for the sound to be right. That dueling riffage of Appetite is what made Izzy and Slash a legendary pair and it's largely missing on Illusions which many (if not most) feel held those albums back. 

I have nothing against Fortus, he's a skilled player but he doesn't have the songwriting skills to be in Guns N' Roses. Neither did Gilby or Paul Tobias really. And the irony here is, Gilby and Paul Tobias have much stronger songwriting talent than Fortus. 

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

According to wikipedia, Like a Dog was recorded 4 months before Contraband.

40 minutes ago, wasted said:

But did Izzy write the riff for Do it for the Kids ...and then didn't notice they used it? 

Probably did notice considering he guested at a couple VR shows and probably heard the whole set. It's highly likely he didn't even care.

Edited by Mendez

12 hours ago, Towelie said:

Does it really matter at this stage who plays the drums and rhythm guitar? Jesus Christ himself could join the band, but the set list and shows would still be stale and boring as fuck, and Axl would still sound like a constipated old lady.

Jesus Christ has a long and storied history of spoiling good music so I imagine you're correct.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 8:36 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Sadly I can't see it happening. Axl seems very firm on Fortus on rythym and Frank on drums and I can't see him replacing them even for a gig. Best case scenario is you'll have AFD for a few songs with Frank and Fortus still on stage. Plus, Izzy and now Steven's relationships with the band are strayed.

Stevens relashionship now too? What happned? I have not been too up to date on GNR recently. I just made an acc here to stay more on top of things. 

4 hours ago, Mendez said:

According to wikipedia, Like a Dog was recorded 4 months before Contraband.

Probably did notice considering he guested at a couple VR shows and probably heard the whole set. It's highly likely he didn't even care.

I think they definitely over played their hand, so to speak. We really got a glimpse behind the curtain, where at a certain point Izzy was writing with them around 2004. We know they were also planning a GH, the label were. I wonder if before they got Scott there was a hope maybe Axl will show up?

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

I mean we have to take what we can get -- a few songs from Izzy is better than nothing I suppose.

But really, Izzy has to be on rhythm for the sound to be right. That dueling riffage of Appetite is what made Izzy and Slash a legendary pair and it's largely missing on Illusions which many (if not most) feel held those albums back. 

I have nothing against Fortus, he's a skilled player but he doesn't have the songwriting skills to be in Guns N' Roses. Neither did Gilby or Paul Tobias really. And the irony here is, Gilby and Paul Tobias have much stronger songwriting talent than Fortus. 

Izzy missing on the Illusions records?? He has tweleve writing credits on the Illusions albums. From reading Duff's book, we know that he was very sepperated from the band during the writing process (sending riffs/song ideas in) but Izzy was deffinitely involved heavily in the writing process of both Illusion albums.

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think they definitely over played their hand, so to speak. We really got a glimpse behind the curtain, where at a certain point Izzy was writing with them around 2004. We know they were also planning a GH, the label were. I wonder if before they got Scott there was a hope maybe Axl will show up?

From what I have read in Duff and Slash's books, I don't think that anyone was expecting for Axl to show up. I could be mistaken though. They had been auditioning a bunch of lead singers, none of whom they really felt fit. Then when STP broke up, they gave Scott a call like the day afterwards. 

1 hour ago, SanPedro said:

Izzy missing on the Illusions records?? He has tweleve writing credits on the Illusions albums. From reading Duff's book, we know that he was very sepperated from the band during the writing process (sending riffs/song ideas in) but Izzy was deffinitely involved heavily in the writing process of both Illusion albums.

I meant the dueling guitar interplay of Slash and Izzy is missing/missed on UYI. There are many who feel those records suffered as a result of that. To lose that again on any forthcoming reunited GnR record would be sad. Like I said though -- we'll take what we can get of Izzy if we even get him in any capacity on the next album.

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

"would hope at some point the five of them will laugh and pat each other on the back about the amazing songs they were able to bring into this world and for the time capsule of their youth afd becoming a classic.  i hope for their sake they are able to celebrate their accomplishments together in a way that matters to them" I can agree with everything you said there. The rest? not so much. 

No 1 reason The AFD 5 were great is also the NO 1 reason why it should be left as it is. They were once wild, Axl was a maniac screaming his head off and jumping into the audience, Slash was completely out of control, running around drunk as he could get without poisoning himself, Duff Steven and Izzy were much the same... these days Axl is a fairly relaxed older man, he goes out and puts on a good show BUT he's not dangerous, he isn't gonna jump into to the crowd and crowd surf, the most he might do is walk off. Slash is still Slash but he's also reined himself in... basically, time has not stood still for the classic 5 or anyone else. Even if they managed to sound as good as they did in the 80s, people would still be disappointed because the band members are now 30yrs older and relatively safe... some things are better left alone, we have something that we NEVER thought we'd get and for me that's enough of a reunion. 

Exactly.  There is no chance that the present day AFD5 could come up with an album like AFD.  Look at Aerosmith.  In order to continue to put out popular albums a mere 14 years after their debut album, they brought in outside songwriters to help.  Translated to GNR time, that would have been 2001.

Aerosmith were certainly great songwriters to come up with their early music that made them a success.  They realized that if they wanted to continue to put out "sellable" music, they needed help.

Since there is no chance for GNR to come up with a great album at this point, I'd prefer if somehow the AFD5 got together and came up with one or two good songs.  Put them out as singles and added bonuses on some greatest hits or AFD re-release.  What's the point of them putting out an album full of forgettable material just to take up more time on future set lists?

A reunion show would be cool and Steven would make a difference on a few songs vs. Frank but if the audience was blindfolded, would 99.9% people notice that Izzy was playing rhythm instead of Richard?

3 hours ago, SanPedro said:

From what I have read in Duff and Slash's books, I don't think that anyone was expecting for Axl to show up. I could be mistaken though. They had been auditioning a bunch of lead singers, none of whom they really felt fit. Then when STP broke up, they gave Scott a call like the day afterwards. 

Maybe they didn't but Izzy seems to emerge when things start to happen like at the HOF or even the reunion. Likehe wants to be involved if and when it goes down. But yeah everytime Snafu. 

We know Axl offered Slash 3 songs in 2001. Axl recently said it was always possible. 

I mean I seriously doubt that Axl about to join VR. But was Izzy scoping out that joint, just checking what was happening. With all the industry types involved who were always offering reunion scenarios, who knows, could Izzy say that it wouldn't happen? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wasted said:

Maybe they didn't but Izzy seems to emerge when things start to happen like at the HOF or even the reunion. Likehe wants to be involved if and when it goes down. But yeah everytime Snafu. 

We know Axl offered Slash 3 songs in 2001. Axl recently said it was always possible. 

I mean I seriously doubt that Axl about to join VR. But was Izzy scoping out that joint, just checking what was happening. With all the industry types involved who were always offering reunion scenarios, who knows, could Izzy say that it wouldn't happen? 

It seems Izzy checks to see if the seed will sprout, but at first signs of a demented lead baby, he's gone. I think he wants to just play with the 4 of them or as many of them as possible and no bullshit.

My guess is Izzy won't say no to it if he can tolerate the price of the experience. Maybe he wants it to happen but some things just make him go "fuck this shit" and wait for next time when it gets real again.

He doesn't need the money so he can afford to wait and reunite when enough of his terms are met.

Edited by Rovim

I am still 100% confident that Axl/Slash/Izzy and Duff could come up with some kick ass music full of substance.. I would like to hear it.... If Steven is involved to any extent, even better!! 

There would be no pressure to live up to Appetite... That will never be done.. They already released what I consider the best album of all time with Appetite and that will never be matched.. By any band... Ever.. I don't think most of them feel that pressure anyway.. The only one that might is Axl who wanted "to bury" the album.. That may have been one of his biggest obstacles the last 25 years... The reason why he had so much trouble releasing music and keeping line ups together.. He seems to have learned to let a lot of things go and changed his ways a bit.. He is older and wiser.  Instead of needing to live up to Appetite may now he can just embrace it and and be happy doing the best he can..

• Like 4