"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

48 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, except when he played Ghenis Kong. That was just terrible, but it was Hollywood at that time.

Wayne was a good actor. He played the tough guy well. Not many like him anymore.

He’s kind of a hero of mine.

20 hours ago, Dazey said:

Fuck me! There's a Peter Jackson movie I never want to see! :lol: 

Well, Hollywood made white actors and actresses play Asians and Native Americans and seeing those old movies now, just don't know how they got away with it? Also the whole black face era. OMG!  

Thank goodness things are changing, because I felt offended by this.

I like the movie "The Sons of Katie Elder" with John and Dean Martin. lol Now that was something. Believing that John and Dean were brothers. lol

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

He’s kind of a hero of mine.

Well, John played many a hero in his time. He is a legend in Hollywood.

On 7/22/2020 at 9:56 AM, Len Cnut said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a Jack Palance type bad guy, he's got a bit of a fuckin' evil look about him :lol:  I think Axl Rose could've potentially played a good western villian, give him a fuckin' Rock Hudson haircut and dress him up, I think it's there in him, kinda like Ricky Nelson in Rio Bravo.  Charles Manson too, he'd make a good fuckin' third fiddle villian.  You know they have the main villian like Stacey Bridges or Ben Miller and they always have two little lackeys with em?  One of them.

Oh Madsen would have to be a bad guy, Palance or an evil Eastwood. Yeah I can see Axl in a role like that. You know who played a good cowboy bad guy that you might not think of? Michael Beihn, from the first Terminator, John Connor's daddy. In Tombstone he played Johnny Ringo and just nailed it. I was kinda surprised. Val Kilmer steals the show as Doc Holliday but Beihn hangs right there with him.  If you haven't seen that one check it out.

Capone. Thumbs down. I was kind of offended they made such a bad movie about the guy.

Blood Father. Thumbs up. I keep forgetting about Mel Gibson but I like most of his movies.

11 hours ago, J Dog said:

Oh Madsen would have to be a bad guy, Palance or an evil Eastwood. Yeah I can see Axl in a role like that. You know who played a good cowboy bad guy that you might not think of? Michael Beihn, from the first Terminator, John Connor's daddy. In Tombstone he played Johnny Ringo and just nailed it. I was kinda surprised. Val Kilmer steals the show as Doc Holliday but Beihn hangs right there with him.  If you haven't seen that one check it out.

Capone. Thumbs down. I was kind of offended they made such a bad movie about the guy.

Blood Father. Thumbs up. I keep forgetting about Mel Gibson but I like most of his movies.

How come you didn’t like Capone?

45 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Isn't it just 90 minutes of him shuffling around in his slippers and shitting himself as bits drop off him?

Why the fuck would I want to pay money for that when I've got a mirror at home? :lol: 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Isn't it just 90 minutes of him shuffling around in his slippers and shitting himself as bits drop off him?

Why the fuck would I want to pay money for that when I've got a mirror at home? :lol: 

I think it was a really interesting thing to write about.  A unique approach.  Was it the best possible movie it could've been, I don't know, but I'll give it a 3 and a half stars out of 5 at least.  I guess it depends what you look for in a film.  I notice this thing lately in cinema where people are like if a film ain't exciting then it ain't good, its a sort of a character study, look at it this way, you like Kes right?  Its not exciting, is it, as films go?  Its a different sort of entertaining.  Its important that the genre of gangster movies has sort of shades to it, in the way The Godfather is a family film as much as a crime film, or a kind of a metaphor for America as a country. 

Most gangster movies are like a rise and fall thing, this is interesting as a sort of an acute look at one mans fall, an unpleasant one at that.  The truth is people want Capone to be Capone...and not a old fat guy out of sync with his surroundings dying a slow death but the fact is, to some degree, thats what he was in the end.  Its a sad thing but I don't cinema should ignore sad things. 

I think it'd be interesting to make a film like this about a boxer, one of the greats...cuz most of em died pretty grim deaths.  I mean can you imagine Ali's last days?  The family preserve his dignity very well but it can't have been pleasant, especially for such a powerful man.  Or Sonny Liston (found decomposing in a Vegas Hotel room shot full of skag, possible mob hit), Or Sugar Ray Robinson (pound for pound greatest of all times, died of diabetes I think, working in a kids home full of kids that had never heard of him), or Joe Louis (died serving drinks in Vegas).

Edited by Len Cnut

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

It was just boring to me. I agree a lot with your other post, I’m all for these type of movies. The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke comes to mind. Even Unforgiven to a degree. But yea I like these types of movies and think they should be made. Just not made boring. Idk man it just couldn’t keep my attention. I had to watch it over the course of like 3 viewings to watch it all.

Plus, and normally this doesn’t bother me, i mentioned Tombstone earlier and I’m sure they took a bunch of liberties with that, but it wasn’t boring. This director has talked about so much stuff added that wasn’t true, like it’s a lot. Listen to the guy talk and really the only thing fact based was Capone had dementia. If you’re gonna make this kind of movie about a guy like that at least try and make it real.

But more than anything i just thought it was boring. Too slow with not much happening. I did love his gold plated tommy gun at the end that was gangster.

JoJo Rabbit  

Liked this movie alot. All the characters were unique. The actor who played Hitler was very funny. 

I laughed and cried during this movie.

Now I know why it was nominated for those oscars.

20 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Love Christopher Lee. Was it good?

It was very good. I love those old British horror films.

yeah, Christopher acted well into his 90's. He was amazing. I loved his Dracula character. he brought the sexy back! lol

20 hours ago, lame ass security said:

So do I, he was a badass in real life too. Not a person to trifle with but people said he was nice too.

Cool. I'm happy to hear he was a bad ass and nice too. I know many people talked about how cool he was. He played so many roles and made them his own.

I loved seeing him play the bad wizard in the Lord of the Rings movies. 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 11:28 PM, lame ass security said:

So do I, he was a badass in real life too. Not a person to trifle with but people said he was nice too.

I heard a funny story about when he was making Lord of the Rings and there's a scene where he gets stabbed in the back. Peter Jackson asked him to scream and he refused stating that he had seen many people stabbed in the back real life and they don't scream. Peter Jackson had to agree with him and the scene was filmed with no screaming. :lol: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

I heard a funny story about when he was making Lord of the Rings and there's a scene where he gets stabbed in the back. Peter Jackson asked him to scream and he refused stating that he had seen many people stabbed in the back real life and they don't scream. Peter Jackson had to agree with him and the scene was filmed with no screaming. :lol: 

I had read about that, classic.😄

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Awesome! he was a spy during WWII. When you direct a great actor like Christopher, you do what he tells you to do! Epic!

Thanks for posting.

Not sure if ''spy'' is the correct word but Flight Lieutenant Lee certainly was active in intelligence circles for both the RAF, his own service, and the British Army - and then there is this chestnut,

I was attached to the SAS from time to time but we are forbidden – former, present, or future – to discuss any specific operations. Let's just say I was in Special Forces and leave it at that. People can read in to that what they like.

He was also involved in some post-war denazification work on account of his language skills. 

He had an ''interesting war'' as the saying goes. Even volunteered for the Finns during The Winter War!

• Like 1