"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

7 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

I'm only 30 minutes in so far and I'm loving it. Holy shit, Mitchum is creepy and manipulative as fuck and not acting it in an over the top way. Thanks for the recommendation

I thought maybe you’d’ve seen it before, its a fuckin’ classic man, I’ve seen it a thousand times, its frame for frame one of the most perfectly realised pieces of film ever, its amazing that Charles Laughton only ever directed the one movie.

16 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Doctor Sleep

Excellent sequel to The Shining

Great cast and excellent story.

I loved the book but was disappointed with the movie. But that always seems to be the case.

6 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I just watched a documentary on Back To The Future, I didn't know that they had filmed for about 5 weeks with Eric Stoltz as Marty. It was pretty much unprecedented to be that deep into production and make a change of that magnitude. 

Yeah, apparently they shot almost the entire movie already with Stoltz and had to re-shoot most of the scenes with Fox. To think how much time and money they had thrown away by realizing so late in the process that he wasn't right for the part.

7 hours ago, EvanG said:

I loved the book but was disappointed with the movie. But that always seems to be the case.

Yeah, apparently they shot almost the entire movie already with Stoltz and had to re-shoot most of the scenes with Fox. To think how much time and money they had thrown away by realizing so late in the process that he wasn't right for the part.

Yeah, apparently Stoltz was doing the method acting thing, wanted everyone on set to call him Marty. They told Christioher Lloyd that Eric was being replaced and his response was "Who's Eric?" He actually thought his real name was Marty.😄 Tom Wilson, who played Biff, said that during the cafeteria scene that Stoltz gave him bruises from pushing him so hard. Wilson told him to back off but Stoltz kept doing it, take after take. He said he was going to get his revenge during the fight scene outside the car at the dance. But Stoltz got fired before the scene. Wilson was legitimately pissed and was gonna kick his ass.

Edited by lame ass security
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I just watched a documentary on Back To The Future, I didn't know that they had filmed for about 5 weeks with Eric Stoltz as Marty. It was pretty much unprecedented to be that deep into production and make a change of that magnitude. 

Oh I need to check that out...where did you watch it? I LOVE that movie...I thought Eric only filmed a few beginning scenes not 5 weeks worth! Mind blown.

30 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Oh I need to check that out...where did you watch it? I LOVE that movie...I thought Eric only filmed a few beginning scenes not 5 weeks worth! Mind blown.

It was on AXS TV, It's a series documentary called Behind Closed Doors. I watched one on Top Gun also. The info I got on Tom Wilson was from an interview I found on YouTube. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, soon said:

And then they came back for part 2 with new actors for both Jennifer and George McFly!

Yeah, the original Jennifer didn't come back because she was having issues with her mother, who was also her manager. Her mother was also ill.  And Crispin Glover wanted a ridiculous amount of money so they couldn't reach an agreement.  But I think he won a lawsuit because they used his image in the second movie. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EvanG said:

I actually bought the book when the movie was out in theatres, but never got to read it.

Yeah, so true about books and movies. I have read Dean Koontz books and anyone made into movies usually was terrible. Also with James Patterson.

I think most movies made out of Stephen King books are okay.

I guess since I never read the book it was probably why I liked the movie.

Anyway, since it was kind of left open, I wonder if King will ever continue this story?

Have you watched "NOS4O2"? It's a new tv series on AMC on Sunday nights. It's based on a book by Joe Hill, who is King's son.

Never read that book, but I do like the series alot. A different vampire story.

27 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I actually bought the book when the movie was out in theatres, but never got to read it.

Yeah, so true about books and movies. I have read Dean Koontz books and anyone made into movies usually was terrible. Also with James Patterson.

I think most movies made out of Stephen King books are okay.

I guess since I never read the book it was probably why I liked the movie.

Anyway, since it was kind of left open, I wonder if King will ever continue this story?

Have you watched "NOS4O2"? It's a new tv series on AMC on Sunday nights. It's based on a book by Joe Hill, who is King's son.

Never read that book, but I do like the series alot. A different vampire story.

No, and I haven't read any of his books either. I think he does mainly horror and fantasy stories and that's not really my thing. Although I really like Stephen King, but he does a lot more than just horror.

I like most films based on Stephen King novels quite a lot and I've probably watched most of them. Maybe I would have liked Doctor Sleep more if I hadn't read the book so recently. In a book you can use your own imagination and there's so much more room to add depth to a character, a movie can never compete with that, no matter how good it is. 

Edited by EvanG

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

No, and I haven't read any of his books either. I think he does mainly horror and fantasy stories and that's not really my thing. Although I really like Stephen King, but he does a lot more than just horror.

I like most films based on Stephen King novels quite a lot and I've probably watched most of them. Maybe I would have liked Doctor Sleep more if I hadn't read the book so recently. In a book you can use your own imagination and there's so much more room to add depth to a character, a movie can never compete with that, no matter how good it is. 

You're right, but I did read Dean Koontz's book Intensity and was very pleasantly surprised by the movie version. A lot of the things I had in my imagination was realized on screen. 

• Like 1

On 28.06.2020 at 8:08 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Doctor Sleep

Excellent sequel to The Shining

Great cast and excellent story.

I'll say more, Mike Flanagan made The Shining even better. I love how he explained the Tony thing. It was the only thing I didn't like about the Kubrick's masterpiece. And damn, Rebecca Ferguson was unbelievably outstanding in her role. She was so overwhelming and seducing without screaming and over-acting. She's a real treasure. Doctor Sleep will be considered as a classic in the future.

Angel Heart (1987) by Alan Parker

Cast: Mickey Rourke, Robert De Niro, Charlotte Rampling, Lisa Bonet, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Kathleen Wilhoite

Music: Trevor Jones

Cinematography: Michael Seresin

I don't know how many times I've seen this movie. Hundreds, for sure. Just like with Romeo Is Bleeding, the first Terminator, Runaway Train, Dolores Claiborne and The Salton Sea, I can watch it over and over again. I devour and relish this film. Since the very beginning, we can feel this eerie atmosphere. Some sinister whispering, a dark alley, a figure walking, Courtney Pine's haunting sax... You already feel evil and you won't stop feeling it. Even during the end credits. Alan Parker has created not only the greatest horror film in cinema history, he has made one of the greatest movies ever. Absolutely perfect from start to finish.

"How terrible is wisdom, if it brings no profit to the wise."

Edited by Drexl

On 6/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, EvanG said:

Yeah, usually books are way better, but sometimes King makes his books way too long. lol I have so many favorite authors that I always read and some of them write many books in one year (James Patterson) I have to pick and choose who I really want to read.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:47 PM, lame ass security said:

You're right, but I did read Dean Koontz's book Intensity and was very pleasantly surprised by the movie version. A lot of the things I had in my imagination was realized on screen. 

Oh Yeah, that movie was actually very like his book. I forgot about that. I've read so many books and Koontz is one of my all time favorite writers. Sometimes I forget what the hell I read because I read so many books in a year. I love reading it relaxes me and takes me away from all the shit going on in our world right now. lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, usually books are way better, but sometimes King makes his books way too long. lol I have so many favorite authors that I always read and some of them write many books in one year (James Patterson) I have to pick and choose who I really want to read.

Most are really long, that is what he's known for. I read Under the Dome recently and it's more than a thousand pages, but his stuff isn't the most challenging literature out there obviously, so you go through it pretty fast. I don't always like his endings, that's also what he sometimes gets criticized for, but I quite enjoyed some of his most recent novels. 

39 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Oh Yeah, that movie was actually very like his book. I forgot about that. I've read so many books and Koontz is one of my all time favorite writers. Sometimes I forget what the hell I read because I read so many books in a year. I love reading it relaxes me and takes me away from all the shit going on in our world right now. lol

I have a song called Slow Motion Breakdown, a title idea I got from that phrase used in a Dean Koontz book called Strangers. Then I wrote the song around that title.

On 2020-06-29 at 12:14 AM, lame ass security said:

If you're as big of a fan of the trilogy as I am, I highly recommend the book "The Ultimate Visual History" which came out for the 30th Anniversary. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the production until I read that book. Goes deep into the misgivings with Stoltz, abandoned script ideas, the Crispin Glover controversy, etc... plus so much more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

If you're as big of a fan of the trilogy as I am, I highly recommend the book "The Ultimate Visual History" which came out for the 30th Anniversary. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the production until I read that book. Goes deep into the misgivings with Stoltz, abandoned script ideas, the Crispin Glover controversy, etc... plus so much more.

I'm not a huge fan but I caught that documentary and it was really interesting. The thing about Stoltz I got was that he just wasn't funny. Spielberg said the laughs were on the page but he just wasn't bringing it out. But man, that had to really sting Stoltz being let go then seeing the success of the movie. Kudos to him for not totally going off the deep end, he really is a good actor. Just bad casting. Another thing I got was that Crispin Glover is crazy as a sprayed roach.😄

10 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I'm not a huge fan but I caught that documentary and it was really interesting. The thing about Stoltz I got was that he just wasn't funny. Spielberg said the laughs were on the page but he just wasn't bringing it out. But man, that had to really sting Stoltz being let go then seeing the success of the movie. Kudos to him for not totally going off the deep end, he really is a good actor. Just bad casting. Another thing I got was that Crispin Glover is crazy as a sprayed roach.😄

There is technically some footage of Stoltz left in the film. And by some footage I mean it's his fist that punches Biff in the diner. :lol:

Although I gather that basically any shot without Marty in frame was left alone to allow them to use as much that was already filmed as possible. Kudos to the studio for listening to Zemeckis and letting him recast.

And yeah, Crispin sounds like a total nutter, but I guess he had a point when it came to the second film and them using his likeness without his permission. I think that incident is what sparked those laws in film.

1 hour ago, action said:

I'm going to watch the back to the future movies again 

I don't think I ever saw the third one.

I have a huge soft spot for the third. Objectively, it is the weakest of the trilogy and yet I consider it my favourite.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

There is technically some footage of Stoltz left in the film. And by some footage I mean it's his fist that punches Biff in the diner. :lol:

Although I gather that basically any shot without Marty in frame was left alone to allow them to use as much that was already filmed as possible. Kudos to the studio for listening to Zemeckis and letting him recast.

And yeah, Crispin sounds like a total nutter, but I guess he had a point when it came to the second film and them using his likeness without his permission. I think that incident is what sparked those laws in film.

I have a huge soft spot for the third. Objectively, it is the weakest of the trilogy and yet I consider it my favourite.

I watched an interview with Glover on YouTube and the things he said about the lawsuit situation made a lot of sense. He seems like a really intelligent guy and more than a bit eccentric. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I have a song called Slow Motion Breakdown, a title idea I got from that phrase used in a Dean Koontz book called Strangers. Then I wrote the song around that title.

Cool. Love all Dean's books. I never got to meet him and wish I could have. He never does book signings anywhere, but I do love his books. My mom is a huge fan too. She started reading Dean's books back in the 80's and when I got older I started reading them as well. 

His books make me laugh and cry. Some of his books really touch my heart. I love how much he loves animals too. 

• Like 1